1080TI Card

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Irminsul, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Alright my tech heads.

I'm about to bite the bullet on a new graphics card and I'm looking to get a GForce 1080TI 11gb.

But I have some questions.

There seems to be many "brands" of the same card and the same card looks different from brand to brand. I don't understand that? If it's the same card, isn't it the same?

Some cards have 2 fans some have 3. I have also seen water-cooled cards for a little bit more money.

Pros and cons of water Vs fans?

From what I have been reading, water-cooled are quiter, and also, from reviews, not worth the money unless you care about the noise.

Thank you. :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

You should really wait two months and buy one if you can, because Nvidia will be releasing their new Ampere video cards which will, hopefully, drive down prices dramatically. Among other things, they are not supposed to be any good for mining for the first year, but Nvidia has claimed they will only cost around $750.oo and be more powerful than a 1080ti, capable of real time ray traced geometry even with built in tensor cores.

That aside, AMD sells their chips to OEM manufactures who design their own video cards for them. Some are much better than others, especially for heat and noise, but the air coolers they have these days are generally very quiet if you can keep your case properly ventilated and, most gamers I know, wear headphones when they play anyway. Liquid cooling is pretty much wasted on a graphics card if you don't mind a little extra noise at times. Asus, Sapphire, and EVGA are a few of the better brand names, but a huge question is simply will it fit in your box?

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm thinking Zotec tbh. 3 fans and more Warrenty. I'm staying away from AMD not impressed with my card. Sure, I could wait, but money is no issue and I'm impatient. :p

Research, water-cooled looks complicated to install so I'm not going to bother. Only problem I see is its a touch thicker than my card atm which is barely fitting in with my WiFi adapter so I'm going to take that out and get a decent Usb WiFi then the card will fit fine. :)

I wear a headset so I won't hear the noise lol. And when I'm not gaming always music pumping.

4. wooleeheron

Fans blow hot air, which is great in the winter, so the more fans the better!

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

The fans probably don't even need to spin when listening to music or videos. But seriously? Why? I'll never understand why people get these monster cards. It's video games, it's diminishing returns. Christ, I just sold my GTX 950 2GB because it's selling for more than what I paid for it 2 years ago. It's a terrible time to buy video cards. And it's nearly summer and I don't need a 200 watt space heater in my PC. Do you have like a 95" 4K TV or something? I can barley notice any difference between 720p and 1080p on my old 42".

6. wooleeheron

A 1080ti will do any game justice in uhd and that's all that matters to most people. Two of them are more than enough to stomp any VR application on the market. By next year, AMD plans to have cheap versions of a 1080 on the market, and it looks like now that the blockchain blockaid is over the competition might heat up again. How fast prices will come down remains to be seen, because Nvidia controls the market and we'll see what we will see.

Personally, I want the Ampere for ray tracing and VR.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I just want to be able to see more cars on track in my sim game and have Post Scriptum on high settings. Not cinematic but I play on low and it's horrendous. And up to 16x16km map size.. Need more horsies under the hood lol. And I was just told this card will make me happy. Everyone I talk to says it'll run anything and everything pretty much on high. I actually prefer not to use too much eye candy in case frames drop in key moments so even if I'm able to boost my setting 25% I'll be happy knowing I won't need another card for a few years.

8. wooleeheron

The new Ryzen 2 chips look awesome to me, with speeds approaching Intel's best so close there is no doubt its not worth spending more just for single core speeds, and more pcie lanes available for M.2 drives. One reviewer said it was the first chip he really felt it was rather pointless to overclock, because its precision boost 2 gives virtually all the benefit of an overclock, without using as much power. Stringing chips together using "infinity fabrics" and chip stacking are the latest things and it sounds like your rig will last you through 2020 when the next generation consoles are released and the shit hits the fan with Intel, Nvidia, and AMD slugging it out for graphics.

With current technology, one of them should easily come out with a single gpu capable of 60tf or more. Nvidia's Tesla already has a consumer version they chose to never release that was capable of 38tf. A 64 core processor and 160tf computer is probably more powerful than what is required to run a Star Trek holodeck and will be affordable in another ten years. Me, I'll settle for Ryzen 2 and Ampere, which should last quite a long time, possibly adding a second video card in another three years.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Wow... sounds like you know more about than I ever will, Irminsul! :)

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

This is why i switched to consoles :)

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You switched to consoles because of a 1080ti? :p
    I can't sim or post Scriptum on a console. Certain games like skyrim of madden they're all fine on a console I wouldn't play them on PC, but they don't make sim racing games on console, no matter what they think they produce is a sim it never is, and yes I'm talking about you Forza you fake ass arcade shit. :p

Also easier to point and shoot with a mouse than a controller.

12. wooleeheron

You can use a mouse with a console these days, but the quality of the imagine and the frame rates are still struggling a bit. The next generation consoles in 2020 will be significantly better, and will make the decision to buy a PC all that much harder when a console can cost half as much. The consoles are becoming serious home computers in their own rite and starting to cost up to $800.oo. In fact, the wildly successful AMD Ryzen chips were developed specifically with funding from Microsoft who wanted an alternative to using Intel chips.

AMD now has a 30w chip with roughly the power of a PS4, and that should jump up to about a 1080ti in about three years. Of course, right now they are charging through the nose for that little chip in a laptop but, eventually, it will be dirt cheap. Within five years the consoles may start to win the PC wars thanks to the AI that is also going into them. Open source alternatives are being developed with Vulcan and the new Linux 3D fonts looking extremely promising as new industry standards and Steam already being dedicated to the medium. The problem with open source is it is often three years behind the bleeding edge, but a lot of the more fundamental issues with open source should be solved by the additional AI going into every processor and gpu made now.

Ironically, thanks to Microsoft and everybody moving into the video game industry for the kill, open source gaming looks likely to thrive like never before.

13. Asmodean

I switched to console so i never have to bother about physical upgrades again :) The system works for the game. No worries or trouble.
    Also: laying on the couch with a controller beats sitting at a desk operating a mouse and keyboard imo

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

For some game, but not the two I play in the computer hehe. :p

15. Asmodean

Btw: i prefer controller not only because its more chill, I'm also at least at good aiming with it than with mouse/keyboard. But that's also due to practice. Had this talk several times with pc gaming friends. They mainly suck with controller because lack of experience

16. wooleeheron

Console controls are best for arcade style racing and flying, Call of Duty scripted corridor shooters, arena fighting, and so on. However, the next generation consoles in particular will have enough horse power to run just about any kind of hardware imaginable including eye-tracking, which is cheap and often preferable to even a mouse. The amount of AI that eye-tracking and real time ray tracing make easy is mind-boggling and something that remains to be exploited in a AAA title, but should blow people's minds over the next decade. Real time ray tracing and eye-tracking are exactly what Hollywood requires to begin leveraging the most out of virtual reality.

The cheesy stuff may not appeal to a lot of people, but that's what often pays for more interesting stuff to be developed. World of Warcraft is perhaps the best all time selling entertainment blockbuster of any kind, and video games already make more money than Hollywood movies. Anyone can tell you they provide the best bang for your buck for entertainment.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Irminsul likes this.
  18. Asmodean

I for one am not eager to game with a VR device on my head. If i can't see my drink, joint and/or company its not going to be a regular thing for me. Frankly i also just want to see the room im sitting in :p Couch and hd screen: that's the way. I may hope (but also think) this way of gaming will be available for some time :)

19. wooleeheron

You can buy them with cameras mounted on them so you can see the world around you at any time. :)

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think I've settled on a ASUS ROG Sticks 1080TI 11gb.

So I will be purchasing shortly.

InB4 "this one and that one is better" but I really researched all weekend and talking to people and this one a touch more expensive but better fans and heatsink and was told, when I'm still gaming in 3-5 years I'm going to be happy I spend the extra 150€.