10 Years of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by James_T._Kirk, May 2, 2018.

1. I didn't know there was a "Marvel Cinematic Universe." But I'm pretty sure Ghost Rider is a Marvel creation and also cinema. That makes it a part of the Marvel cinematic universe as far as I'm concerned.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This is what Wikipedia says. May well be authored by James T. Kirk for all we know though... Lol!

I like "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2". "Doctor Strange" I watched the other day up to a certain point. I had seen it before. I think that movie is cooler at the beginning of the film than at the end, but who am I to judge.

And admittedly "Logan" is not on that list.

3. James_T._Kirk

James_T._Kirk Members

Every movie based on Marvel characters has a Marvel intro but that doesn't mean it's part of the MCU.

4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Modern effects techniques and extensive use of 'green screen' has removed so much reality that it has destroyed the cinematic experience in my opinion, since it it too divorced from any reality to be remotely plausible ..

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ghost rider and Xmen are both Marvel comics

6. James_T._Kirk

James_T._Kirk Members

So many unbelievably ignorant people posting in this thread. Don't post in a thread about the MCU if you don't know what the MCU is.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Wikipedia

I don't care that Ghost Rider and the X-Men are Marvel characters. Their movies are not a part of the MCU!

7. There's a lot of things wrong with the movies today. My major problem is that highly privileged people have completely taken over the industry. Not people with the most God given talent or imagination...just the people with the right ins and the money to afford a "quality education." All they have to do is like the movies like everyone else growing up and mummy and daddy will take care of the rest.

So Marvel makes up a moniker, the MCU, and we're all just supposed to believe they had nothing to do with the former quality of their films? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Also, please don't tell me where and how I can post. It's highly annoying. Believe it or not you actually...DON'T have that right.

What comes after their next series of disastrous films when people stop caring about "the MCU"? The Marvel Classic Universe? Give me a break. And then really smart people like you can get in on the killtaker and feel oh so intelligent for knowing all of the ins and outs of their complete farce.

8. wilsjane

So true, I worked with the 'old timers'.
    People today simply cannot appreciate the art of cinematography. This scene won my friend an Oscar. can you even imagine a lighting cameraman today capturing that moment at 2:45 or choreographing his work to Dave Grusin's titles score.

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

hey, if MCU is even a thing, I never heard about it until now. You should be happy people are even remotely excited about Marvel films, not requiring that people understand the subtle nuances of the production team.

10. James_T._Kirk

James_T._Kirk Members

If?! Look it up!

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

obviously nobody has ever heard of this MCU. people aren't going to know not to post about something if that thing never even announced its existence.

12. James_T._Kirk

James_T._Kirk Members

It's existed for TEN YEARS! That's what this thread was for. So MCU fans could talk about the 10th anniversary.

13. That is a beautiful. Nope, today the whole thing would probably be a scene of a woman making tea in her kitchen, maybe looking at a few photographs of relatives.

IMO people in the industry are way too self-absorbed and egotistical. They treat film like it's their own private club the rest of us aren't a part of. They listen to the older folks talk and then get this idea in their heads that they've been hand-selected to take their places. I've been around film people all my life for some reason, and man...some of them are the biggest snobs and bullies I've ever met.

How do you know?! Did you create the thread?! Oh wait, you did. I was aware that Marvel had started making better movies, but I didn't know they'd given these movies a whole different title.

wilsjane and BeatinFeet69 like this.
  14. wilsjane

Billy Williams was a brilliant camera man, I also worked with him during the post production of Gandhi, which he took over when Ronny Taylor became very ill.
    I must have been so lucky to have worked with the great masters who saw their work as subservient to the story that they were telling.
    Another great moment was recording this section.
    At the London premier you could have heard a pin drop in the theater among the transfixed audience.
    Few people would ever realize how easy it is to work with people like Barbara Streisand who was so appreciated of everyone else's efforts.

15. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

One of my favorite movies, you Old Poop

wilsjane likes this.
  16. wilsjane

A truly wonderful film. Here you can see a little bit of how a work like this is created. Few people realize what an important part people like Billy play, well beyond just the actual work with the camera.

17. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

I am pretty much worn out on these movies.

I have never really hated them, but I've also never really felt particularly enamored with or inspired by them in any way.

I don't really think that the stories are great, I don't think the action scenes are particularly well done, I don't find the characters to be complex or compelling, and I am sick of seeing people saving the world, saving their friends, saving the universe, saving their SO, learning how to be a hero, doing what's right, etc.

In movies like Civil War, they stick just enough of a philosophical debate in to make you feel like the movie isn't stupid, but not enough of one to make you feel like you are stupid... and then in the end it doesn't matter anyways, because the point is fighting, explosions, cities being devastated, hitting, punching, quipping, etc. I don't even really pay attention to any of the action because it's really not very good. The entire opening to Civil War with all of the dirt flying and debris and shaky camerawork whatever was pretty much unbearable.

There are some laughs to be had, and the actors are pretty likable, but every Marvel movie just sort of blurs into every other one.

I really liked comic books from age 8-15... but the ones I read were never like this.

18. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

To each his own, of course.

What comics did you read? Not sure of your age, but anything like Transmetropolitan, or Locke & Key? I think they're good ones outside the superhero genre.

19. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

I didn't really latch onto any particular series, I just read about some of them in catalogues or advertisements or something and thought they sounded like good stories. I really liked the sci-fi ones like Fantastic Four... I think that had to be my favorite, but I always got them used so whenever they did a multi-issue arc I would never have the complete story, and I would have to figure out what was going on or just imagine what had led up to that point if they didn't do flashbacks in the actual comic. I think that made them better haha.

A lot of them were just random titles I picked up at Kmart where they sold old issues in packs of 3 for a discounted price. There was a really great arc in Hulk where he couldn't speak and was travelling through some sort of weird dreamworld with a demon dog creature and a pink Christmas star that represented his id and superego... I never actually knew how it began or how it ended.

I really liked 'Future Imperfect' where the Hulk travels into the future where all of the superheroes have been wiped out by a nuclear war, and meets his future self, who has become an evil warlord... umm... I liked Strikeforce Morituri where aliens invaded the Earth and the military developed a process that gave people superpowers but also shortened their lifespans. There was an issue where the aliens had these sort of jellyfish-looking devices that caused skin to grow over people's eyes and nose and mouth... wow great.

McFuddy likes this.
  20. James_T._Kirk

James_T._Kirk Members

Just look up the MCU. Find out EXACTLY what it IS and what it is NOT. Read the Wikipedia article. And THEN post in a thread dedicated to the MCU.