10 Most Important Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Meagain, Jan 20, 2005.

1. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Perforce & pro forma, henceforth & in perpetuity, implacably & without umbrage, our providential predilection vis a vis prognostication & our puritanical proclivity to parsimony has predisposed us to post this preemptive promulgation. At our prerogative, without prejudice, pursuant to our aforementioned profligate perfunctory placation of portentious presuppositions substantiating polemic perfidy, this prima fascia proviso is a proscription to you to heretofore advocate the insubstantiation of all preceding pontifications, as this precis holds precedent. Thus, we contumaceously & importunately requisition you to precipitously endeavour to repudiate, ameliorate or extirpate all anomalous, incommensurable, egregious & extemporaneous machinations individuating nebulous variegated conterminous physiological peripheral phenomena erroneously delineating any prodigious preponderance of incipient, spurious, specious, execrable, peripatetic, & equivocal differentiations inherently & indisputably exhibited by, & inseparably & irreparably incorporated in an exceedingly minuscule percentile of pelagic, priapic, protuberances demonstrably perceptible in the heterogeneous sub-genus of these all too infrequent atypical salamander zygotes. This inexplicable anthropomorphic transmogrification is ostensibly paradoxical to the obsequious, obfuscating prevarications of this vociferous assemblage of anti-disestablishmentarianists whose implicit, compensatory postulations appertaining to the capricious, audacious, vexatious & perspicacious self-aggrandising, stentorian iconoclasts who invariably purport to adjudicate; surreptitiously, perniciously & salaciously encumbering indistinguishable exascerbating existentialistic irrationalities expeditiously constructed expressly to irrefutably corroborate the incorporeal sanctimonious polysyllabic sesquipedalian verbosities prevalent in this interminably & inexorably proliferating multitudinous profusion of disingenuous, & preternaturally inculcated electroencephalographically obviated nomenclature.
    Sometimes.

2. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Philosophy is a good thing, but why not start anew? Why have it influenced by previous philosophy? :confused:

3. snelio37

snelio37 Member

the authoritative calvin and hobbes, the tao of pooh/te of piglet, the hitchikers guide to the galaxy series, a decent agriculture book or 2, and several newspaper articles on the horrors of the war that destroyed civilization in the first place.

4. BlackGuardXIII

I like some philosophy, but it is not by philosophers. Mark Twain, Will Rogers, Woody Guthrie, Mother Teresa.....
    they say things that anyone can understand, no intellectual jargon, no bullshit.

5. OSF

OSF Señor ******

Ha ha. Cute.

Took me longer to get through those short paragraphs (as I had it divided) than it did to get through three chapters of a Kuehnelt-Leddihn piece!

Very clever.

Complete bullshit, but clever.

Written, no doubt, by a young male, in his twenties, in an undergraduate program, likely biology, or some like science, possibly environmental science with a secret hard on for Freud’s Mom. Or by a female bohemian while on a boat in the mid to south pacific coastal waters screaming at a rig of iron for suckling mother earth, unfortunately stuck with only the p section of the dictionary.

Just like this piece, all it takes is a little time and the natural ability for geometry.

Which one do you think our author lacked?

p.s. Don't mean any offense if you are our author.

6. OSF

OSF Señor ******

Then, I suggest we bring a copy of The Gulag Archipelago in order that we remember the consequence of catering to the fool.

7. BlackGuardXIII

I would hope that even with zero books, the lessons we learned would not be forgotten.

8. OSF

OSF Señor ******

I don't know. Two of the first pieces of literature mentioned were the US Constitution and Leviathan!!

That'd be playing with fire before we invented it.

9. BlackGuardXIII

None taken. First written in 1981 in Grade 11 just for fun, not intended to mean anything, just string as many obscure words together as tightly as possible and try to keep it grammatically and structurally passable. It was about half as long then. I was 16. Last year at the age of 39, I added to it.
    I got very few words from a dictionary: proscription, importunately, priapic, and compensatory, are all I can pick out that were from the dictionary.
    I took very little in the way of sciences, but am a voracious reader. And have you seen Freud's mom......hubba hubba.
    I know a little geometry, and have a fair amount of time cuz I stopped watching tv over 8 yrs. ago.
    I think maybe you're just triskadecaphobic.

10. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

best book on farming: The encyclopedia of country living

11. billisgod420

billisgod420 Member

in my personal opinion first should come books on survival, then we can make our own philosophical discoveries , it really doesnt take a genious just some simple common sense. live happy, live long, live free!!

PS what the hell is a triskadecaphobic?????

12. BlackGuardXIII

triskadecaphobia: 1st clue, would not like my member name...too scary.

bill, I agree: books on survival, and then some simple common sense get along with each other books.

13. OSF

OSF Señor ******

As it turns out, Mark Twain was triskaidekaphobic!

I read an interesting article recently that said, while 74% believe they have common sense, only 7% of Americans actually do.

Some simple common sense might be a little much to ask for.

That is unless we are talking about Paine's. It would certainly fit right in with the other two sparks that have been mentioned.

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

My original intention was to find books to aid survival, both for the body and society.

So, I thought that first a continuous community must be started or maintained, hence books on practical arts both immediate and those that preserve technologies that will be reinstated when conditions allow, 50 or 100 or 500 years maybe. Some books, maybe 50%, of immediate use others for the future.

I axed novels as they don't contain much bang for the buck. I keep pictureing someone slipping Wuthering Heights into the stack.

I picked The Tao Te Ching as some consideration must be given to man's need for inner growth and it seems to me to be the most neutral and direct path to inner truth and its application to the world.

However maybe it should be Nargajuna's Seventy Stanzas, Alan Watts' The Book :eek:n the Taboo Againest Knowing Who You Are, or Ken Wilbur's No Boundry.
    I feel that's all we need on philosophy and religion. Anything else just clouds the issue.

The others on my list are practical choices.

I didn't state what caused the world to fall apart. Maybe it happened because a comet hit somewhere, maybe the button got pushed, maybe the animals revolted...we just looked around and it was gone. (Luckily we were in the Library of Congress at the time makeing out behind a bookself and we were saved. Now we just have to pick 10 books and beat feet outta here before whatever comes back.)

15. JustinC

JustinC Member

I've been thinking about this topic for a while and have come up with 4 books that I think would be among the most useful in starting a new society.

In no particular order:
    1.) The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. - William Shakespeare
    This goes without saying. Shakespeare is the most important author, ever. His works are still as popular as ever. Nearly every single movie or book can trace its' plot back to one of Shakespeare's plays.

2.) The Complete Works of Plato. - Plato
    This is important because it is the basis of philosophy. His work in its' simplicity brings forth some of the most thought-provoking questions and statements ever.

3.) The 2 Treatises of Government & A Letter Concerning Toleration. - John Locke
    His work is important; it explains the ideas of toleration and the unalienable rights of man. Thomas Jefferson was inspired by Locke.

4.) Aesop's Fables - Aesop
    These fables may seem simple, but they teach valuable lessons regarding morality. They are easy enough for children to understand, yet even adults can learn from them.

I have made an effort not to include any religious works. I feel that they would cause biases, plus they are not expressively needed.

16. gillianwind

gillianwind Member

I don't know if it's possable to classify books as most or least important. In my oppinion all books have value to someone, even those cheesy romance novels have a purpose. I think they keep people from feeling alone.

17. janna

janna Member

I only call tell you about the most important books for me, the ones that changed my world... I won't include the Hungarian ones you most probably don't know them because - sadly - there are not many translations of them.
    Here you go, in no particular order!!!:
    Salman Rushdie: The Ground Beneath Her Feet
    Virginia Woolf: Mrs Dalloway
    Maharishi Mahesh Yogi: Science of Being, Art of Living
    Jane Roberts: Seth Speaks
    Michael Ende: Mirror in the Mirror
    Gabriel García Márquez: Vivir para contarla
    Otoniel Guevara: No apto para turistas (this is a book of poetry)
    Khalil Gibran: Sand and Foam
    and all the other ones I can't remember right now...

18. steffan

steffan puffin

they would all have to be text and reference books, we could use a restart on the philosophys anyway

19. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

If you're nixing the creativity of novels, then count me out of your new world...I'll let the now-revolted animals just eat me instead lol