0-4 months, shrinkage, dread splitting

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by GirlFawkes, Aug 6, 2013.

1. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

Hello, new here.
    I'm a momma of two, for me my dreads signify a journey I've been on. I've lost 40 lbs in 4 months with the help of cardio, juicing and changing my lifestyle. I'm a nature lover, a girlfriend, a Siberian husky momma, a comedian at heart, and an artist. Well I've used the photos on this forum as inspiration, lessons learned, and just something to gaze at when I'm bored and I thought I'd share some of my progress photos thus far if anyone is interested.

My dreads began on March 28th 2013 (today they are just over 4 months old) I had some blond growth coming in and the bottom of the hair was dyed brown. It has since faded and my hair has experienced some sun bleaching, I do not color it. I used the twist and rib method combined with backcombing. I did not use the metal comb as directed but I also don't have very much hair so I did bend some parts of it but it worked just fine. My hair was almost boob length before dreads but as I mentioned I don't have very thick hair. I have thin and layered Irish girl hair with a bit of curl in it.
    So far I have experienced crazy shrinkage, a dread splitting gone wrong, (HAHA...oh man) and a better understanding of the word PATIENCE. Enjoy! I will add more photos as time goes on.
    I put a bunch of photos in the album 0-4 months from before photos to today.... ALSO pictures of my failed dread splitting.
    week one:
    [​IMG]after this, They started to get crazier and crazier. I kept them mostly in a bandana until about 3 months... so instead of posting a million photos of me in a bandana i'll kind of skip to 3 months. Although if you're curious... there were many LOOPS, BUMPS, BENDS, And crazy things such as those.

[​IMG]
    BOOM WHERE DID THEY GO. The bumps just continue to bump, and loop, and bend, until your skinny dreads become these fat short monster dreads haha so think about that when doing your sections.
    [​IMG]that's at about 3.5 months

SO THEN I DECIDED. To split one of my dreads, because it was too big and was taking up a large vertical area directly on the back of my head pulling my scalp in all the wrong ways. I did it while it was wet, I pulled it apart and it just didn't work out very well. I saved the top part, but the bottom part just ripped out. Yes it hurt.

It's okay though. I'm just happy its not bothering me anymore. once the hair grows in a bit more, I'm sure I can turn it into a little baby dread.

4 months 1 week, and i decided to comb out the dreads above my ears to frame my face.
    [​IMG]

and that's where we are today! Through the good and the bad I really love my dreads. I hope we have many happy years together and they can remind me every day of the commitment I've made to better my body and mind and be the best I can be for myself and my loved ones.

I will update you guys at 6 months and 1 year!

2. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

I just realized i can comment to add more photos. doh.

here's some befores:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

dread splitting nightmare:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    4 months 1 week

5. Flakeofsnow

Flakeofsnow Member

How did you try to split your dreads? There are a bunch of tutorials online on how to safely do it. DX I am sorry about your splitting nightmare.... All I know is patience is pretty much key. I split 4 of my dreads and I pretty much waited about an hour until I finished it cause my hands hurt so bad...

6. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

Yeah shit got crazy back there. first off I should've asked someone for help but being new to this area (just moved to florida) I don't really have any friends to ask. I watched a youtube video and just kind of went for it. After washing my hair, I felt around at the base of the dread to kind of get a grip on how the dread was forming, divided it into two sections with my fingers and started to wiggle and pull it apart. I'm pretty sure that instead of separating the dread into two i more or less pulled the roots right out of my head. I saved the top section, it's a small dread now about 4-5" long... but the bottom literally just pulled out. yikes. next time (HOPEFULLY THERE IS NO NEXT TIME) I will do more research :( Live and learn!!

7. SadieScarlett

SadieScarlett Member

I split a dread by sawing a little with the arm of some scissors, then ripping. it went perfectly but i suppose the dread was quite long (about 10 inches) before splitting.
    despite that mishap your dreads are looking pretty fly so far! the further along you get the less problems you'll have, I've found. so keep at it and I'm sure things will be dandy :)

8. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

Aww the picture of you with your boys is precious :) I'm a mum to a 2 year old and my dreads are almost a year, sooo much has happened since beginning them, and they hold so much meaning to me I just couldn't even begin to explain it. I feel like they mature as I do.

Keep up the knottyness :)

9. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

Thank you!!!!

10. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

I never updated you at 6 months!! I am currently at month NINE :) My how time flies. My dreads are finally growing... my crazy bald spot from my dread ripping nightmare is full of baby hair now and I'm quite happy with the health of my dreadlocks. I'll post more photos later on tonight from all sides for all to see!! My husband thinks I should go to a dreadlock "professional" to get dreads added to the loose hair I have from the ripping. I am on the fence. I do not want to spend the money to do it and I feel like as they grow and evolve they will either form their own dreads or join others. I know it will take a long time because I have fine hair but I believe that is part of the journey. Suggestions welcome.

11. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

12. aFoolOnaHill

aFoolOnaHill Proper Villain

I suggest you don't have a "professional" do anything to your hair. Most people really have little to no clue about what is actually going on and yet they are often absolutely certain that they KNOW what to do. Anyone who is trying to charge you money to "fix" your locks is missing the point anyways. It's good to savor the flavor. If you start down the path of doing stuff to your hair to make it look a specific way, where does it end? Often it ends in the barber's chair with a pair of scissors.

I had many people tell me that I needed to get my hair "re-twisted" which I found to be hilarious since I don't remember ever twisting it in the first place, so how can I "re-twist"? After waiting out the slight messyness of having fuzzy baby hair growth, much of it is now forming into very small locks on its own and I'm super stoked by it.

In the end, it's your hair and it's your decision.
    1/2 of the fun of having locks is seeing what they're gonna do next.

13. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

Kinda how I was feeling about it ;) Thank you for your input!!!

14. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my 9 months of dreadlocks.. No bandanas or hats, fresh out of the shower and (mostly) dry :) I love them. They have taught me so much already.. Can't wait to see what they look like in a few years!

15. SadieScarlett

SadieScarlett Member

they're coming along so well! congrats

16. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

Thanks Sadie!

17. GirlFawkes

GirlFawkes Guest

[​IMG]

11 months, all woven up with crazy curls appearing all over the place, popping up in between dreads.... Super amusing character this hair is building.

18. aFoolOnaHill

aFoolOnaHill Proper Villain

Nice. Those shorter hairs are going to start tangling with each other and form little locks. Most will eventually get sucked into the nearest existing lock unless you decide to keep them separate. I really like that part, it will come and go once or twice a year as new hair grows out.

19. Bunnielight

Bunnielight Member

Sounds about like where I'm at! Happy one year for the both of us! Mine turned one on the 20th!

1 person likes this.