‘Major’ Oil Spill Off California Coast Threatens Wetlands and Wildlife

Discussion in 'Front Page Stories' started by hotwater, Oct 3, 2021.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

A pipeline failure sent at least 126,000 gallons of oil into the Pacific off the coast of Orange County, creating a 13-square-mile slick. Dead fish and birds washed ashore in some areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Orange county is just south of LA, just south of where they pour all their sewage into the ocean. It may be sensitive wetlands, but their days are numbered.

3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Perhaps this accident will help the US to reduce its reliance on fossil fuels rather sooner than it previously wanted to.

4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I'd feel bad, but for it being LA and already a toxic wasteland.

The Uber-rich residents in their multi-million dollar beach cottages are suffering more publicly than the poor wildlife victims. The fish can't speak up for themselves...

hotwater likes this.
  5. wooleeheron

The US depends on oil, simply because the rest of the world depends on oil. A quarter of the world's economy still depends on the export of fossil fuels and, without a world economy, the wheels won't go round.

6. wooleeheron

This is closer to middle class suburbs in Orange county, and a military base, with the uber wealthy tending to live north of LA, where its less of a desert and less polluted. Military bases are among the worst polluters, no regulation.

7. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I have been there and you can't touch a property on the coast there for less than a million bucks...for a shack. Go a few blocks back and it's a different story, yes. It is not Beverly Hills LOL!

I'm sure enough bad shit floats down that way all the time from Long Beach anyway... oil platforms are everywhere off the coast down in that area as you know.

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nothing will happen / change until the oil runs out (still huge MONEY to be made) or some truly horrendous catastrophe takes place. But that more than likely won't stop the oil and auto industries from fighting a changeover to clean energy. The auto industry is still cranking out gas fueled vehicles by the millions.

~Zen~ likes this.
  9. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And we still aren't willing to mine the minerals needed for "green energy" here in the US.

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The point at which ALL gas / diesel vehicles become obsolete must truly be a nightmare for the auto industry.:eek:

~Zen~ likes this.
  11. wooleeheron

Its been a few decades since I've been there. In fact, I remember when there were still orange groves. :)

Three million dollars is a piss in the bucket. The kind of house people might build on a national forest border, then complain when it burns down. Upper middle class, beach houses and whatnot. Nice, but not a mansion.

~Zen~ likes this.