Turbulent Times

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newo, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't see why it has to be an either/or situation

Of course we should be able to trust law enforcement to follow up on tips and someone should have to answer for the FBI's failure to do so this time. If that's even the FBI's jurisdiction, I honestly dont know. Do you? I know there have been many copycat threats around here the last few weeks and local law enforcement has been handling it .Each and every kid who has made a threat has been arrested and charged so I do rest easy knowing local law enforcement is doing their job at least. I can already see a change being made at a local level. These threats are actually being taken seriously.

did the FBI get tips on the Las Vegas shooter? Aurora? Orlando? Sandy Hook? Columbine? The failure of the FBI isnt to blame for every major mass shooting in the country and I think many view this one as the final straw - and I am going to argue that this isn't a march against guns, as you put it. As you probably already know there actually are a lot of gun owners in this country who are for instituting stricter regulations on gun ownership. This march is for people who have felt helpless for years as mass shootings continue to happen and are then told that its too soon, that we cant talk about gun control right now. This march isn't against guns, it is for forcing a conversation that should have happened a long time ago. It is time to talk about gun control and doing everything in our legal power to ensure we keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldnt own them while respecting the rights of responsible gun owners.

2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Most of the reports I read, were retweets from students who posted this on twitter.

But here’s a source for you
    Wheatland Student Says He Was Forced to Participate in Walkout

One would be awfully naive to think that no public school teacher or faculty member would be against having an organized schoolwide walkout.

I read a tweet from one high schooler who didn’t want to participate but was forced to anyway. And they made him remove his Pepe the Frog sweater. I can’t find the tweet anymore despite having bookmarked it. I guess the corporate scum at Twitter wanna suppress that stuff. Plus, it was likely you couldn’t find articles about students being forced to participate because Googlag might be burying those articles too.

We really are living in turbulent times, when the left is the new censorship heavy schoolmarms, and conservatism is the new counterculture

farmerdon and Aerianne like this.
  3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Oh, that terrible left again. But your source is Fox, which says it's entertainment, not news--the very same Fox that said a student protestor had been given a script by CNN, which then turned out not to have been true. So maybe so, maybe not. Is your student with the Pepe the Frog sweater a reliable source or an AltRight ideologue? If the latter, maybe he was shading the truth, or maybe Twitter had a good reason to conclude that his post was fake news. Yes the professional news outlets are out to get us. We can only trust Fox, Breitbart and InfoWars for objective reporting.

McFuddy likes this.
  4. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Thanks for the link.
    This apparently occurred in Wheatland High School, California.
    The story has been repeated in number of news organizations. The student, Colby Prince, said,"I was kind of forced to go out." Not that he was forced to go out.
    He said he had heard his teacher, Angela Harris, deny another student's request to opt out. No one has confirmed that remark.
    But assuming that she did, Colby's sister, Bailey stated that her class had been given the choice to attend or not.
    Two administrators related that all the students knew they could report to the office if they felt uncomfortable; none did.

The kids' mother, Liz Parrish said she knew of that option.

As students didn't express the desire to join the protest until that morning, it appears to me that the school personal was confused over what action to take and how to handle it appropriately. It seems the teacher, Angela Harris, was herself confused over what to do. If so it shows a breakdown in administration directives. If she acted on her own, then it appears she was alone it denying the other student's request, if it was made, and she was wrong.

That's one secondary teacher out of the approximately 3 million across the entire country, not bad.

As to the Pepe T shirt, I would have to see the school's dress code. Many types of apparel are restricted in various schools. The dress codes are determined by the local school board.

Fathom Tweets can't be relied on. In fact any Tweet needs to be verified.

Google does in deed censor its content as per its corporate policy, just as we do here at Hip Forums.
    Try using another search engine, I suggest a metasearch type such as Dogpile, Excite, or Metacrawler.

6. MeAgain

Thanks for the video.
    The first student, Andrew, didn't say anything to begin with.
    The two girls were trying to join the walkout but were stopped by the interviewer.
    Then Andrew said he didn't want to participate, he didn't say he was forced to participate, we don't know if he was at the walkout or the interview took place after the walkout.
    The next girl simply said she was against new gun restrictions, not that she was forced to join a walkout.
    Then Andrew says he didn't go to the walkout.
    Then the interviewer tells us he doesn't know what the walkout is about, not that he was forced to attend.
    The rest of the video was just different students expressing different opinions, no one said they were forced to attend a walkout.
    The video was heavily edited.

So, we already know there are differences of opinions.
    And so it goes.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

For accuracy's sake (not your primary concern as we all know by now) i would replace the word 'when' with 'if'.

8. storch

storch banned

So let's look at this squarely. The FBI said that on September 24 it was notified about a comment on YouTube from someone with the username “nikolas cruz.” The comment said: “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.” The notification came from a video blogger on You Tube who found it disturbing enough that it didn't feel sufficient to simply flag it as inappropriate. So he emailed an image to the FBI. When that bounced back, he called the local FBI field office. The next day, two FBI agents interviewed him. Nothing became of it.

Also, an Instagram account that belonged to Cruz showed photographs of firearms, including one showing a gun's laser sight pointed at a street. Another photo showed at least half-a-dozen weapons laid out on a bed with the caption "arsenal". A third photo showed a dead frog's bloody body. The FBI could have subpoenaed Google to discover the identity and whereabouts of Cruz, but they didn't. And their defense to this failure to act is to claim that if they had tried to subpoena Google, there is no guarantee that a court would have have granted it. So why try? Right? Sure. In a day and age when everyone is so concerned about the horror of school shootings, no court would give the FBI the right to subpoena Google to locate the person publicly showing weapons, disturbing pictures, and his desire to be a professional school shooter. Sure . . .

Now, according to those who feel the need to make excuses for the FBI's failure to act on an obvious threat, the agency is so swamped with potential threats that it can't be concerned about someone threatening to do a school shooting. So I guess the message to all would-be school shooters is that you can use social media to make the threat, to show the weapons you possess to make good on that threat, and even attach your name to those photos and threats, but as long as you don't include where and when you intend to follow through on that threat, then you don't need to worry about being found and stopped.

Now whose heads would you like to see roll?

9. MeAgain

I understand your concern, I share it.
    But there isn't any law preventing the accumulation of weapons. No law against displaying those weapons. No law against showing bloody animal bodies, or making the statement “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.”
    And no law against posting a picture of a gun's laser sight pointed at a street.
    Cruz broke no laws.

According to the FBI they receive approximately 1,300 tips a day at it's website. The website is monitored by 24 people. That's about 54 reports a day per person. In addition they get "dozens" of calls a day.
    That's 40,000 to 50,000 tips a month.
    If they spend an hour checking out each tip, that's about 1,300 hours a day or 45,000 hours a month. Do they have the staff to accomplish that?
    Do they have the time to seek subpoenas for every tip? Half of them? A quarter?
    Do they have the time to seek evidence for the granting of a subpoena for every tip? Half of them? A quarter?
    Do they have to make judgement calls on who is a serious threat and who isn't, absolutely.
    Is the FBI perfect, no.

If you're saying the FBI should prioritize threats against schools, may be. But maybe there are more serious tips they have to look at also, like airplanes crashing into high rises, weapons of mass destruction, etc. They have to prioritize.
    So if you're saying laws need to be changed, or the FBI needs more resources, I agree.

10. 6-eyed shaman

Conservatism is the new counterculture. The 1960s have come and gone.

I'll just let one of my favorites journalists, Paul Joseph Watson explain it

11. storch

storch banned

No. I'm saying that they thought enough about the threat to interview the guy who tipped them off about it, and that they--in their own words--then failed to follow protocol. So it's not like they never had time to investigate; they did! So my point stands that, according to FBI apologists, the message to all would-be school shooters is that you can use social media to make the threat, to show the weapons you possess to make good on that threat, and even attach your name to those photos and threats, but as long as you don't include where and when you intend to follow through on that threat, then you don't need to worry about being found or stopped.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  12. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So conservatism is the new counterculture at a time when the Republicans hold the senate, house and the white house. Bullshit.

Let's hope they become the counterculture come November.

scratcho likes this.
  13. 6-eyed shaman

If you don't like Fox as a source, that's fine, you can always look for a more preferable source who is telling a similar, if not the exact same story.

Just because the alt-right likes Pepe, that doesn't mean he's a hate symbol. A lot of people use Pepe memes.

For that matter, is there anything the cult of SJW won't deem a hate symbol?

For example thanks to this left wing witch hunt of finding racists and slandering innocent people:

Milk is a symbol of white nationalism: Milk is the new, creamy symbol of white racial purity in Donald Trump's America

The OK hang signal is now a sign of white power (but we all know it was a very successful form of 4-Chan trolling) OK Symbol | Know Your Meme

And Dr. Seuss 'Racist' Dr. Seuss Books From Melania Trump Rejected By Librarian

It was "professional news outlets" who convinced Americans that Saddam was hiding WMDs. Including the beloved alphabet soup lefty channels; not just Fox. So yes, they do lie a lot more than you give them credit for.

14. Asmodean

The 60s and its counterculture are gone indeed (most of it striving points have been achieved or become mainstream). No argument there. But you calling conservatism the new and/or main counterculture is bogus stemming from wishful thinking or it sounding nice to you (you're most likely simply repeating the source you got it from anyway). It would suit you a lot if it would be.
    But in a lot of places conservatism was never gone. It was always a steady force and the mainstream culture in a lot of places. One reason why its not suddenly the counterculture now.
    Another reason why its not the american counterculture but at most one of several different ones is that its in line with a big part of the establishment, and of course the current president and corporate business which on a national level determines more than the green movement, progressive scientific culture etc. etc. So 'counter'culture..
    not so much.
    If i would label something as a counterculture in the US at the moment it would be those cities that go against national policy, and maybe all those folks sawing of their guns on youtube and people making a stance against the NRA and the excesses of America's gun culture. I'm not seeing that as a concrete counterculture to be clear, but the term already seems more appropriate and fitting in those instances.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Balbus, McFuddy and Meliai like this.
  15. 6-eyed shaman

One could argue that the election of Trump was a counterculture movement against the establishment left. After all, politics is downstream from culture. And no, I'm not talking about the old establishment-based John McCain or Dubya brand of conservatism that's dying out.

When the left has a stranglehold on:

Hollywood
    The Arts
    The mainstream media
    Academia and Universities
    Education
    the entire Entertainment Industry
    Silicone Valley
    the Dominant Culture

It's impossible to be the dominant culture, and the counterculture at the same time.

Back in the 20th century, right wing conservatives had more influence in media. They did not let Elvis swing his hips on live television. They also tried to shut down rock and roll music. Doing this only made these things more taboo, avant garde, and countercultural. Now, we are seeing the same thing happen in reverse when the joyless left wing dominant culture is censoring anything politically incorrect to their narrative. Thus they've made conservatism the new counterculture. There was a time when the left had a monopoly on Cool, but those days are over.

16. Asmodean

One could argue many pointless things to make things appear in one's favor. Trump may have been the underdog and rivalling against the establishment but that doesn't make the forces that happen to have made him president the counterculture at all. He has already proven to be an even bigger part of the establishment as a significant amount of his voters hoped for.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Trump IS the establishment, what a joke to suggest that someone as pro corporatism as Donald Trump is somehow leading a counter culture revolution. You dont have to be descended from a political dynasty or a long term Washington insider to be part of the establishment.

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  18. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I agree that conservatism is the new counterculture.

The people I see communicating on social media, indicate that it is so.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  19. Asmodean

Which social media? Facebook for example is notorious for giving a jaded picture where you mainly see stuff including social groups that matches the mindset of the user.
    All kinds of people are communicating on social media. If one is interested in how a certain kind of likeminded folks is going against the mainstream and focussing on such social groups any kind of group can appear to be a counterculture to a person.

20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Conservatism also seems to be on its way out. There is nothing at all conservative about the radical populist xenpphobic brand Trump, the AltRight and the Tea Party have been pushing.

Balbus, Kerri and scratcho like this.
  21. Asmodean

Doesn't look like that to me.

A certain amount of people being duped in finding them credible is conservative. But most of them always were. And they're not consciously united in a conservative counterculture but merely in their support for Trump (or better said a misguided support against established politics) and the dubious alt right news sources they share.