el Seis de mayo

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 738

It's Sunday and I am readying myself for a church service. I could read the weekly e-mailing to find out what the service is about. I prefer, however, to be surprised on Sunday. There are two intern ministers in addition to our paid minister. Sometimes members of the church lead the service. It's a Unitarian-Universalist bunch.

On Wednesdays I attend a Wiccan group. I go with a practicing Wiccan friend and usually go out to dinner with him before our meetings or rituals.

When I'm not on my spiritual path, I think of ways in which my home should be cleaned. A good vacuuming and dusting are what come to mind first. Then I think of things like sponges, rags, ammonia, vinegar, water, brooms, soap, brushes, and lots of elbow grease. I've let the place go and would welcome anyone with two strong arms and a notion for cleaning.

El seis de mayo is the day after el cinco de mayo. Out west it's a big celebration although most people couldn't tell you what the celebration is for.

"Contrary to popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's independence day. Mexican independence is celebrated Sept.16.
"Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over the French forces of Napoleon III on May 5, 1862, at the Battle of Puebla.
"Mexico had trouble paying back war debts to European countries, and France had come to Mexico to collect that debt."

Since I'm not Mexican and since I don't drink, I don't do much celebrating. El cinco de mayo, however, is the birthday of my g*dson. So, it's an easy date to remember.
You like this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice