• This topic is locked This topic is locked
193 replies to this topic

#61 TheStairway1971

TheStairway1971

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted November 25 2006 - 12:13 PM

Another question. Mildew grows inside of the dreds if they aren't entirely dried. That's not a good thing, it smells.

Does using a blowdryer work? I knowyou're supposed to "wring out" the dreds, but wouldn't a blowdryer be faster? Obviously, I'm just a novice when it comes to dreds, haha. Doing research helps, but any help from real people is so much better.
Thanks.

Peace and love
----Me

#62 hummblebee

hummblebee

hipstertist.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted November 25 2006 - 01:10 PM

Here's a link to a blow dryer discussion we had recently:
http://www.hipforums...ad.php?t=122783

And I really recommend browsing around the Knotty Know How forum a bit - there's a wealth of information available there, and some really cool people. :D Welcome to hipforums and dreadie life!

Posted Image

we are all star matter
from the big bang
and love ain't far behind you
love ain't far behind

#63 eatmoreplants

eatmoreplants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted December 05 2006 - 10:17 PM

My dreads are turning 2 in january. I can't believe how much we both have grown. I love my hair! I think i am going to have a birthday party for them. maybe people will bring them presents- like beads and tams...

soaringeagle and dancerannie- i can't believe (well i do believe- just a turn of phrase) that your dreads are natural. they look so beautiful! most of the nonbackcombed dreads i have seen are more messy and less roundish than yours.

#64 DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie

Resident Beach Bum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,226 posts

Posted December 06 2006 - 11:56 AM

My dreads are turning 2 in january. I can't believe how much we both have grown. I love my hair! I think i am going to have a birthday party for them. maybe people will bring them presents- like beads and tams...

soaringeagle and dancerannie- i can't believe (well i do believe- just a turn of phrase) that your dreads are natural. they look so beautiful! most of the nonbackcombed dreads i have seen are more messy and less roundish than yours.

My hair is natural, but it's still a mess ;) A good mess, though.
Everything in nature is connected...

#65 veroness

veroness

There's only one :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted December 25 2006 - 07:09 PM

how does one start preparing for dreads?

#66 DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie

Resident Beach Bum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,226 posts

Posted December 26 2006 - 12:39 PM

how does one start preparing for dreads?

See: Knotty Know HOw forum

#67 mat9

mat9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 07:40 PM

ok,i have a question,i have like a fro(well kinda had a fro type deal),and i always wanted dreads,and i finally went with it,and its been about 2-3 monthes,and i havent done anything,and i have about 6 dreadthings,more like matts in my mind,and they feel really awkward,one is formed by about 2 or 3 little ones,and one curls,and i dont really feel like waiting years for them to actually be dreads

does anyone know like how i can get them in,i know ways,i just want to be sure,like could i go to a hair place(specific ones?) and have them do it? anyone,thanks
poopwoop

#68 Guest_pixeewinged

Guest_pixeewinged
  • Guests

Posted January 25 2007 - 06:06 AM

a

#69 tanaFace

tanaFace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted February 14 2007 - 02:03 PM

i am doing my dreads myself..i have been messing around and trying all kinds of different ways..just having fun kinda....but last night i put i tid bit too much wax...any easy or really good ways to get it out??

#70 DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie

Resident Beach Bum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,226 posts

Posted February 14 2007 - 02:51 PM

i am doing my dreads myself..i have been messing around and trying all kinds of different ways..just having fun kinda....but last night i put i tid bit too much wax...any easy or really good ways to get it out??

Soak them in extremely hot water and squeeze each as hard as you can...or start over from scratch....

#71 Billie

Billie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted February 19 2007 - 01:35 AM

i love my dreads but im thinking off getting rid of them and growing my hair then doing them again in a year or so because my hair doesnt grow longer at this point due to the dreadage. my question: how do i go about it without turning to the scissors.. CAN my hair be salvaged?

xx

#72 hummblebee

hummblebee

hipstertist.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted February 19 2007 - 05:28 AM

IT WILL GROW, Billie! Trust me! I let mine go when my hair was short and it seemed like it took forever for them to grow at all (as all hair growth was just "swallowed" by the tightening of the locks) And now they're halfway down my back. Hell, Soaring Eagle has said that he grew his out from short and now they're draggin on the ground! :D Have Patience! :)

Posted Image

we are all star matter
from the big bang
and love ain't far behind you
love ain't far behind

#73 fountains of nay

fountains of nay

Planet Nayhem!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 05:24 AM

Patience is a virtue afterall :)
Posted Image

Joint Miss UK winner 2006!

#74 elmae

elmae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 08:18 AM

Hey guys, I was just looking for a bit of advice / encouragement... I'm mad keen on getting myself some dreads but I'm a bit worried how they'll turn out cus my hair is pretty damn thin. If anyone's got any experience of dreading thin hair or any tips I'd be grateful. I really don't wanna be told it's impossible cus I would weep. I figure I might as well go ahead and do it and see how it works out - what do you people think? PS, the bonus is my hair gets tangled and knotty uber easily so I guess that might go in my favour.

Thanks!

#75 DaWeasel

DaWeasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 12:46 AM

hey guys, i got dreads a couple of weeks ago, my little sister backcombed them in for me (isnt she cool!!!). Unfortunatly she didnt do them very tight and when I washed them a week later many of them fell out. Since then shes put them back in a bit tighter and they're looking good again.
Anyway another weeks gone by and i want to wash them again; what can i do to stop them coming out when i wash them again. Anyone got any ideas?

Also any advise on remedies for an itchy scalp (AHHH MAKE IT STOP!) and getting rid of dandruffy dreads would be wicked.

Thanks guys, have a good one

#76 dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy

Swampmiester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 10:23 AM

Hey guys, I was just looking for a bit of advice / encouragement... I'm mad keen on getting myself some dreads but I'm a bit worried how they'll turn out cus my hair is pretty damn thin. If anyone's got any experience of dreading thin hair or any tips I'd be grateful. I really don't wanna be told it's impossible cus I would weep. I figure I might as well go ahead and do it and see how it works out - what do you people think? PS, the bonus is my hair gets tangled and knotty uber easily so I guess that might go in my favour.

Thanks!

I can't see any problem with you not having dreads, just go for it :-)
Wax Free since 2004 :D

#77 DaWeasel

DaWeasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 05:25 PM

Thanks!

yeah my hairs pretty fine (thin) as well and mine dreads are doing fine, although my sis was cursing my name while she was doing them :P. I think they probably take a little longer to put in than thicker hair but then again, Im no expert or anything.

anyway good luck, i found getting a dread kit is really helpful if you want to go that way.

#78 Loveminx

Loveminx

Sports Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted March 02 2007 - 01:30 PM

My friend got a one dread naturally because he doesn't brush his hair...we had to cut it out...lol
Posted Image

Free Your Mind...

Loveminx ^_^

#79 alektrahippie

alektrahippie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted March 03 2007 - 11:46 AM

yea i didnt brush the underpart of my hair for like... ages. and then i got a dread. it wouldnt brush out and i hadto cut it out. and my hair is dead straight. it was evil as im trying to grow my hair real long to get them done.
Posted Image
It is the power of love that rules man kind....

#80 hamish...

hamish...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted April 15 2007 - 06:07 PM

i had rly thin soft hair and my bro dun my dreads about 3-4 months ago. because my hair was so soft he back-combed them and plastered them in wax and puts wax bak in them every 3-5 weeks but theyre just a mess they just come apart, fray and totally fuck up and its soooo annoying i feel like i dnt hav dreads anymore and because my hair is my only pride...im starting to go mad give me some tips! i hate it because my dreads are down to my shoulders and really dont want to cut my hair off.
when my hair is waxed it looks like proper dreadlocks like they should be because my bro dusnt melt the wax in so they kinda just go hard and look like theyre going to knott up..a bit.

i have dreadlock shampoo from dreadheadhq should i wash my hair with that? should i just keep puttin LOADS of wax in like usual but more frequently? should i cut my hair off and start off with smaller dreads and grown them...?

if ANYBODY has good advice please please please email me it would be appreciated so much or you could message me on myspace. my email is: kornklown@hotmail.co.uk

my myspace url is: http://www.myspace.com/dready_or_knot

thankyou guys...please giv me advice!

#81 Lady Neko

Lady Neko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 11:22 AM

i told this one girl who had dreads that i was working on only two dread in my hair cause i still want to keep some of my hair flowy and she gave me the weirdest look. is there something wrong with my choice?

Posted Image

It was written that I would love you
From the moment I opened my eyes
And the morning when I first saw you
Gave me life under calico skies.

~Paul McCartney

#82 hamish...

hamish...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted April 17 2007 - 02:05 AM

lady neko i dont think so in a few weeks im going to give my girlfriend like 5-6 dreads so she can keep her normal hair but have a few deads. its just a different look thats all.

good luck

#83 dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob

peace lily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted April 17 2007 - 05:17 AM

DON'T USE WAX!!!!!!!!!!!! It will fuck up your hair, cause mold, and your hair won't even dread properly. Wax holds your hair in place which is detrimental to the freeflow your hair needs to dread up.......get that wax out of your hair............and go to the dreadlock forum on here and learn/ask questions:
http://www.hipforums...splay.php?f=209
Here's another good forum:
http://www.knottylocks.tk

#84 Lady Neko

Lady Neko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 09:18 AM

lady neko i dont think so in a few weeks im going to give my girlfriend like 5-6 dreads so she can keep her normal hair but have a few deads. its just a different look thats all.

good luck

thanks very much ^_^

Posted Image

~Paul McCartney

#85 hamish...

hamish...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 09:47 AM

nae worries dear

#86 Lady Neko

Lady Neko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted April 21 2007 - 03:27 PM

i've been wrapping my dreads with hemp twine and its been making them tighter. plus it looks pretty ^_^

Posted Image

~Paul McCartney

#87 hamish...

hamish...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted April 22 2007 - 08:44 AM

coool

#88 Lady Neko

Lady Neko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted April 28 2007 - 10:20 AM

hey hamish i am adding 3 more dreds. my husband said he won't put anymore in for now. we have a lot goin on at school.

Posted Image

~Paul McCartney

#89 hamish...

hamish...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted April 29 2007 - 02:18 AM

3 more lovely babies sounds gr8! gd luck...

mine have started coming apart more need to wash and spray them with sea salt water
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fate is Inexorable

#90 Lady Neko

Lady Neko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted April 29 2007 - 09:32 AM

the were is a website that says their products work. we bought their wax and it works great. plus they have some cool gear.

http://www.dreadheadhq.com

Posted Image

~Paul McCartney

Click to shop at In Harmony Herbs and Spice