Dreadlock Forum: Knotty Know-How

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by DancerAnnie, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synaptic aether

synaptic aether Member

so i'm thinking, next time i do dreads, i'm gunna make a dense sea salt wash, square off with rubber bands, drench them in it, blow dry, backcomb, tie em off, wash out the sea salt, take out top bands, spray with less dense salt water, rub roots oftan.

yea?

i took em out the first time because i wanted them fatter. 3 hours with my head in the tub and half a bottle of conditioner. btw, my hair had never looked so good afterwards.

2. Rivalution

Rivalution Member

I am getting dreads once school is out for the summer and I can't wait!
    I am not sure how i am ganna do them yet though.. my mum my do them for me.
    But I was thinking i could probably get some people to do them for me at the rainbow gathering too........

3. GratefulFlowerChild

GratefulFlowerChild Member

quick question. what is the easiest hopefull quickest way to grow dreads naturally?

Peace, Love, And Empathy, Alex

4. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

There is no "quick" natural way. Natural means no wax, no backcombing...letting your hair do its thing...My hair is 2 years old and some of it STILL isn't dreaded...done naturally.

5. azen

azen Member

if you can get it pure beeswax thats the best thing for your dreads and try and get some non residue shampoo to wash them in (remember to dry them properly else icky smells ;P)

yeah guys im just starting my dreads in a few days i have been growing my hair for 1 year with out cutting it and im getting braided extentions to start my dreads off. hair is down to my sholders atm but will be down to my ass in 1 week and a few more weeks after that my dreads will start to form and they will grow into dreads so yay me i carnt w8 if any 1 else has tried this way of growing dreads let me know in the forum

regards and bright blessings

~Azen~

6. azen

azen Member

yo i know im new here but everything is natural if its not chemical then it must be natural ? back combing is prob the quickest way dude back combing is completely natural the only thing you are doing is helping the knotting process along the way so they turn out like decent dreads i have seen quite a few "natural" dreads and most of them dont look like what you would associate as dreads but hey if thats you method im not knocking it me i would like to keep my dreads tight and maintained using beeswax and "natural" products in my hair to help them out and make them stronger and look realy healthy im not saying that yours isnt so dont get me wrong here just offering a little help to the dude.

here is a realy good product from www.knottyboy.com you can read here how to maintain and keep your dreads lock-tastic its realy helped my bust some myths about dreads so plz give it a look.(ps dont buy the hats they are realy too expensive if you have a grandma then get her to knit you 1)

Knotty Boy Dread Wax is an all-natural beeswax/ hempseed oil dread goop, specifically designed for starting and maintaining dreadlocks with ANY kind of hair. It's a great conditioner for already-formed locks, and works miracles on dry, damaged dreads. Plus, it allows you to wash your hair and keep them dreads clean! The hempseed oil (now certified organic!), beeswax and other natural ingredients are loaded with essential fatty acids, vitamins and vital nutrients which work together to keep new dreads knotted and healthy, and help to condition already-formed dreadlocks to prevent breakage and brittleness. And the best thing about Knotty Boy Dread Wax is... you can start dreads in hair that’s only 3 inches long!

regards and bright blessings

~Azen~

7. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

do not use wax!!!!!! u can start hair 1 inch long
    without wax
    i love how many people come in advising wax...when theyre 1st starting theyre 1st dreads
    do not use it..is a sticky gross mess that will really screw u up

natural is the way to go
    if not then only backcomb & nothing else

dont do wax..you'll regreat it

8. soaringeagle

2 big mistakes here
    1 the wax
    2 the extensions

i knews a girl who did that & ended up with 1/2 dreads 1/2 fake lookin braids
    the extention part never did dread ..bit wasnt able to be removed either
    & it just looked weird

just let your hair dread from where its at now. takes no effort just trash your comb & dreads will happen
    but dont use wax

9. soaringeagle

a good freind wanted to get them done at the gathering as well..she kept asking people to do em for her...by the end of the week still noone had done them..but she already had 6 nice dreads forming
    just from being there & forgetting to comb

10. azen

azen Member

im not after the extentions to dread i dont want them to when i have my dreads and my fake long hair for a while the extentions will be cut out if i carnt get them out naturaly i also know someone who used this method and hers turned out looking amazing and tight little dreads they rock and still do

blessed be

~Azen~

11. soaringeagle

ok why do u want the extensions then?
    & still i strongly recomend u avoid wax
    also how old are your freinds dreads? maybe that method made em look ok in the first month..(when they should look all crazy) but how will they look in 5 years?

12. azen

azen Member

Tey are about 6 years old she is 43

13. DancerAnnie

The "natural method" if you know anything about dreadlocking lingo...is doing nothing to get dreads...that means no back combing or anything...Backcombing is considered the "Backcombing method"...when I say natural I mean doing nothing to attain dreadlocks.

So, since you seem to know so much...what are dreadlocks SUPPOSED to look like? Hmmm? Because honestly I have had dreadlocks myself and I think they look like "dreadlocks" to me...if you want you can check out my gallery. If that doesn't suit your idea of dreadlocks I don't know what does. Also, soaringeagle has had dreads for fifteen years...and he did his naturally...his also looks like dreads...so exactly how many people have you talked to that have had dreads did theirs naturally?

Some people don't have dreads for the fashion or the "neatness" of them...some of us have dreads for a spiritual reason or a statement...my statement is not for fashion reasons. WAX is BAD...have you read any of the other threads that talks about wax?

Have you used this product? If not, then why are you advertising it?

Dread goop? I don't think that's somethign I'd like to put in my hair.

My boyfriend started his dreads at about an inch long...it's been five years and some of his dreads are past the middle of his back...He didn't use any of these products and you can also see his dreads in my gallery as well.

14. soaringeagle

15. DancerAnnie

16. azen

azen Member

i understand that you dont buy dreads (you can lol, but its not what i ment :p) and i didnt meen for dancer to get upset about what i said, i was misunderstood and i misunderstood what dancer said. therefor i am sorry for what i said i would like to get to know about peoples experiances and how i sould go about maintaining my dreads when i get them what to do with them and how to stop them from smelling because i wash my hair alot, i know that i have to find some residue free shampoo for just a natural bar soap which coming from england isnt that hard as we have lush shops all over the place lol. i have found a few sites which tell me about palm rolling and keeping my my roots nice and neet, (you may thing that im a bit shallow and you maybe right ;P but i like things to be neat and in order it may sound odd coming from a pagan but hey its they way i am pluss im a scorpio :p) i will be honest i am getting dreads for more of a spiritual side than fasion or a statement but those thing do come into it, i want dreads for all those reasons but mainly a spiritual reason.

if any 1 can help me to try and get any more info on dreadlocks then i would be verry grateful, i search for knolage before i do anything to know that i am doing it right.

regards and blessed be

~Azen~

17. TheStairway1971

TheStairway1971 Member

Hey. I'm new, my name is Del. Nice to meet you.

I have a dread question.

Okay, so I'm getting dreads. I've pretty much set my mind to it. I want them pretty badly.

I know the length shrinks when it's put into dreads, but how much? My hair is about shoulder length in the back, a tad shorter on the side, and about an inch below my eye in the front. What would that make out to be in dreads?

Peace and love
    ------Del

18. synaptic aether

synaptic aether Member

your bangs would be stubby and the rest of your head would look like you have short dreads.

i think it would look awsome. do it!

i think it would help to remember to do each dread in the same length of hair.

19. Gyva02

Gyva02 WACKY

knottyboy.com said you lose 1/3 your length after Drazeaded.....

20. soaringeagle

ya lose 1/3 about but ya never stop growin..ya dont rip none out..ya never trim 1/4 inch every several months..just frows n grows till its draggin on the ground

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.