37 replies to this topic

#21 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted June 27 2016 - 03:10 AM

I have camped out in the winter.  I found that tweeking your gear before hand helps a lot.bag).

Like wool blankets (depending on your tent, drape the inside of the tent with the wool blankets as it is an awesome insulator.

Fleece summer sleeping bags (use one as the liner for your CW.

• newbie-one likes this

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

#22 snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted June 27 2016 - 05:15 AM

This. I've been on a primitive wilderness course in Northern Idaho before. It gets cold and it rains and it snows but anyway... what we had were wool blankets. I'm not sure how well this actually works. I remember being quite cold on occasion. But thinking back, what Tyrsonwood says sort of rings true. I wish there were a way to just have a fire in the tent. Or a gas heater of sorts, or something like that. That would make it warmer for sure! Then I doubt the ground would be very cold because the air would be warmer. Hope this helps.

There is the Zodi heater which sits outside the tent and blows warm air in through Ductwork but it's expensive and more to carry.

Edited by snowtiggernd, June 27 2016 - 05:17 AM.

• newbie-one likes this

#23 soulcompromise

soulcompromise

• PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted June 27 2016 - 05:58 AM

There is the Zodi heater which sits outside the tent and blows warm air in through Ductwork but it's expensive and more to carry.

Very nice. Newbie-one will have to get one of those!

Posted Image

#24 Bud D

Bud D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted June 27 2016 - 10:41 AM

Ever try a plumper to sleep on?  LMAO!

#25 rjhangover

rjhangover

• PipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Locationin the studio

Posted June 27 2016 - 11:25 AM

https://www.facebook...67694906634829/

I couldn't figure out how to get the picture on here, so you have to click for the solution to cold ground camping.

Edited by rjhangover, June 27 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#26 newbie-one

newbie-one

one with the newbiverse

• PipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts

Posted June 27 2016 - 03:15 PM

https://www.facebook...67694906634829/

I couldn't figure out how to get the picture on here, so you have to click for the solution to cold ground camping.

I avoid facebook like the plague.  Unless it is just a funny post, maybe you could describe it.

#27 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 38,807 posts

Posted June 27 2016 - 05:33 PM

I found that tweeking your gear before hand helps a lot.

i guess that warms you up for a bit, but i feel like you would have to tweek your gear all night to stay warm all night.  and eventually you'll just rub yourself raw.

#28 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted July 03 2016 - 01:00 AM

i guess that warms you up for a bit, but i feel like you would have to tweek your gear all night to stay warm all night.  and eventually you'll just rub yourself raw.

When I say tweek your gear, I am meaning refining your list and your gear and in some cases doing a MacGyver with some of it.  Using the wool blankets helps a lot.  Depending on the tent, you may have to make a frame to hold the wool blankets.  Maybe the flexible carbon fiber tent poles they use with dome tents, maybe some PVC pipe, who knows.  One time I made do with a large sheet of 6 mil plastic, two wool blankets, several carbon fiber tent poles from a second hand store and some PVC pipe.  No it's not exactly backpackable, but far better than sleeping in a car, really.  Oh, and a sleeping bag.  That time it never got below 0*F, but it worked.

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

#29 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,358 posts
  • LocationPlanet earth, until I find a bigger playground

Posted July 21 2016 - 09:08 AM

The problem with air mattresses, and I used one for a couple years as my full time bed, is that the air never warms up, and it wicks your warmth.

Going to closed cell foam mats fixed that.

Are you camping in damp? Cool and damp is worse than dry and cool.
A vapor barrier under should help.

Are you lightweight gear/weight limited/hiking in to the campsite a considerable distance?
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

Unless I post MOD NOTE, I'm replying as a member of the community.

#30 newbie-one

newbie-one

one with the newbiverse

• PipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts

Posted July 21 2016 - 09:53 AM

I bailed on my original camping plans, so it's more general now.  I might go to regional rainbow gathering (if there is one) this summer, which might involve carrying gear 1/2 mile or so, but other than that, just car camping.

#31 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,287 posts

Posted July 21 2016 - 10:00 AM

bp_tommy_got_cold.gif

• MeAgain and Logan 5 like this

#32 meeses

meeses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted August 09 2016 - 03:36 PM

When I was in the army, we often slept in tents at -30C temperatures if not colder. I always stripped down to next to nothing, got in my sleeping bag then put my clothes in the sleeping bag so they wouldn't be frozen for the morning.

Wearing clothes in a sleeping bag is the worst thing you can do as you will sweat and eventually freeze.

With a good rating sleeping bag, you should be able to get at the very least 6 hours of a very comfortable sleep and if you wake up because you are cold, get out and shake your sleeping bag to spread the feathers/insulation, it will be good for another 6 hours.

Your body disperses the insulation inside the sleeping bag at contact points and that is when you will feel the cold.

I learned that in basic training a long time ago and I never had a problem sleeping out in the cold.

#33 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 16,582 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted August 09 2016 - 03:54 PM

Foam mats and a decent sleeping bag and another blanket.

Now, my experience with sleeping while cold camping, is to actually have less clothes on than you'd expect. Your body warms and you'll lose that heat through multiple layers so you'll stay warmer by wearing less, and then just covering yourself better. I've a awesome sleeping bag that's too hot even in winter, I just unzip and it's a blanket now. :)

Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#34 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted August 12 2016 - 05:19 AM

Sometimes I'll sleep on top of my sleeping bag.  It's a nearly perfect cushion.

#35 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,149 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted August 12 2016 - 05:23 AM

Gather as much furry animals out of the surroundings of your campsite as possible and stuff them with yourself in the sleeping bag.

Posted Image

#36 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,287 posts

Posted August 12 2016 - 09:20 AM

Gather as much furry animals out of the surroundings of your campsite as possible and stuff them with yourself in the sleeping bag.

Only proviso there might be to avoid weasels.

#37 Mattekat

Mattekat

Ice Queen of The North

• PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted August 12 2016 - 10:03 AM

Only proviso there might be to avoid weasels.

And skunks
"Life is change. Have some fun."

#38 footballalways

footballalways

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted February 16 2017 - 06:49 PM

if it gets  real cold 

go check in at the Four Seasons

Click to shop at FS Books