bp_tommy_got_cold.gif

• MeAgain and Logan 5 like this

#32 meeses

meeses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted August 09 2016 - 03:36 PM

When I was in the army, we often slept in tents at -30C temperatures if not colder. I always stripped down to next to nothing, got in my sleeping bag then put my clothes in the sleeping bag so they wouldn't be frozen for the morning.

Wearing clothes in a sleeping bag is the worst thing you can do as you will sweat and eventually freeze.

With a good rating sleeping bag, you should be able to get at the very least 6 hours of a very comfortable sleep and if you wake up because you are cold, get out and shake your sleeping bag to spread the feathers/insulation, it will be good for another 6 hours.

Your body disperses the insulation inside the sleeping bag at contact points and that is when you will feel the cold.

I learned that in basic training a long time ago and I never had a problem sleeping out in the cold.

#33 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 15,793 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted August 09 2016 - 03:54 PM

Foam mats and a decent sleeping bag and another blanket.

Now, my experience with sleeping while cold camping, is to actually have less clothes on than you'd expect. Your body warms and you'll lose that heat through multiple layers so you'll stay warmer by wearing less, and then just covering yourself better. I've a awesome sleeping bag that's too hot even in winter, I just unzip and it's a blanket now. :)
Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#34 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted August 12 2016 - 05:19 AM

Sometimes I'll sleep on top of my sleeping bag.  It's a nearly perfect cushion.

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

#35 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,620 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted August 12 2016 - 05:23 AM

Gather as much furry animals out of the surroundings of your campsite as possible and stuff them with yourself in the sleeping bag.

Posted Image

#36 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,175 posts

Posted August 12 2016 - 09:20 AM

Gather as much furry animals out of the surroundings of your campsite as possible and stuff them with yourself in the sleeping bag.

Only proviso there might be to avoid weasels.

#37 Mattekat

Mattekat

Ice Queen of The North

• PipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted August 12 2016 - 10:03 AM

Only proviso there might be to avoid weasels.

And skunks
"Life is change. Have some fun."

Click to shop at In Harmony Herbs and Spice