Ways To Deal With Cold Ground When Camping

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by ezm8, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I have camped out in the winter. I found that tweeking your gear before hand helps a lot.bag).
    Like wool blankets (depending on your tent, drape the inside of the tent with the wool blankets as it is an awesome insulator.

Fleece summer sleeping bags (use one as the liner for your CW.

1 person likes this.
  2. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

There is the Zodi heater which sits outside the tent and blows warm air in through Ductwork but it's expensive and more to carry.

1 person likes this.
  3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Very nice. Newbie-one will have to get one of those!

4. Bud D

Bud D Member

Ever try a plumper to sleep on? LMAO!

5. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I avoid facebook like the plague. Unless it is just a funny post, maybe you could describe it.

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i guess that warms you up for a bit, but i feel like you would have to tweek your gear all night to stay warm all night. and eventually you'll just rub yourself raw.

8. Logan 5

When I say tweek your gear, I am meaning refining your list and your gear and in some cases doing a MacGyver with some of it. Using the wool blankets helps a lot. Depending on the tent, you may have to make a frame to hold the wool blankets. Maybe the flexible carbon fiber tent poles they use with dome tents, maybe some PVC pipe, who knows. One time I made do with a large sheet of 6 mil plastic, two wool blankets, several carbon fiber tent poles from a second hand store and some PVC pipe. No it's not exactly backpackable, but far better than sleeping in a car, really. Oh, and a sleeping bag. That time it never got below 0*F, but it worked.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

The problem with air mattresses, and I used one for a couple years as my full time bed, is that the air never warms up, and it wicks your warmth.

Going to closed cell foam mats fixed that.

Are you camping in damp? Cool and damp is worse than dry and cool.
    A vapor barrier under should help.

Are you lightweight gear/weight limited/hiking in to the campsite a considerable distance?

10. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I bailed on my original camping plans, so it's more general now. I might go to regional rainbow gathering (if there is one) this summer, which might involve carrying gear 1/2 mile or so, but other than that, just car camping.

11. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. meeses

meeses Member

When I was in the army, we often slept in tents at -30C temperatures if not colder. I always stripped down to next to nothing, got in my sleeping bag then put my clothes in the sleeping bag so they wouldn't be frozen for the morning.
    Wearing clothes in a sleeping bag is the worst thing you can do as you will sweat and eventually freeze.
    With a good rating sleeping bag, you should be able to get at the very least 6 hours of a very comfortable sleep and if you wake up because you are cold, get out and shake your sleeping bag to spread the feathers/insulation, it will be good for another 6 hours.
    Your body disperses the insulation inside the sleeping bag at contact points and that is when you will feel the cold.

I learned that in basic training a long time ago and I never had a problem sleeping out in the cold.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Foam mats and a decent sleeping bag and another blanket.

Now, my experience with sleeping while cold camping, is to actually have less clothes on than you'd expect. Your body warms and you'll lose that heat through multiple layers so you'll stay warmer by wearing less, and then just covering yourself better. I've a awesome sleeping bag that's too hot even in winter, I just unzip and it's a blanket now. :)

14. Logan 5

Sometimes I'll sleep on top of my sleeping bag. It's a nearly perfect cushion.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Gather as much furry animals out of the surroundings of your campsite as possible and stuff them with yourself in the sleeping bag.

16. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Only proviso there might be to avoid weasels.

17. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

And skunks

1 person likes this.
  18. footballalways

footballalways Banned

if it gets real cold
    go check in at the Four Seasons

19. Scratched

Scratched Members

some of that vehicle interior insulation, or soundproofing should help.

a nice warm partner helps too. this is where a big booty comes in handy. no beans before bed!

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

actually, believe it or not, fire in a pit and burry the fire then sleep over the warm place, is something that was done, some cultures did traditionally.

1 person likes this.