Wouldn't it be safer?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by UFEZG, Dec 27, 2005.

1. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

i disagree strongly. most people do not smoke because of reasons: its illegal; its a 'drug' and thus carries all the negative stigma of being something social authorities frown apon and something religious figures smite

2. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

well the problem with this arguement, and the restraunt one boothy included, is the nature of the work. these things are close range and directly applicable. you clean and you can see the cleaning occur before your eyes, around your hands. it is constantly engaging until the room is cleaned, and orientated optimally.

i personally found cleaning things was the best job to have when stoned.

but there are a lot of things that the country relies of its academic and corporate world - proactivism, assertiveness, and intensive organisation, communication, financial negotiation, etc. think of all the manual labour - cleaning isnt that physically exertive. people who smoke are definately going to be physically lazier overall.

another problem is the plain fact that you can work while stoned, but you cant really work while drunk. its much easier to tell when someone is drunk and thus prevent them from doing something dangerous. stoned people can seem totally sober but might lose concentration in dangerous tasks that they thought they could handle.

there are lots of ways which free usage of marijuana can be harmful to commerce

inflexly, stoners would buy at LEAST twice as much grocery as non stoners. less spending on gambling probably though, perhaps less on cigarettes.

i think if heaps of people were smoking pot, there would be heaps more people smoking and driving and i think that could become a danger because its very hard to physiologically set a detector of being stoned, on legal terms. there isnt a brethaliser, only a mouth-swab which cant tell if you smoked just then or a few hours ago, or a few hours before that after eating lots of munchies and are still stoned but indetectably.
    drunk drivers swerve and the like but stoned drivers are probably only noticable in the second when the accident happens.

3. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Member

I've been screaming this for a long time.

Here's a scenario for your mind's viewing pleasure.

Joe Schmo walks into the local head shop. Behind a glass display are various packs of doobies, complete with their accompanying packaging, designed to make you choose that brand.

Said packs of juicy THC goodness contain 4 doobs. You decide you want a bit of Purple Haze today. The clerk rings you up. Price? $14.95, thank you sir. Said customer would whistle on the way home being able to get 4 J's for $16, including the state sales tax. Dunno about where you are, but a decent doobie goes for $5 where I live.

Half of that $14.95 would go towards costs, advertising, profit, etc. The other half would go towards fed.gov taxation. That's $7.45 (rounded down, for obvious reasons) of pure profit. Since it is now legal in the same form that alcohol is, many more people would be tempted to try and possibly be regular users of this newly-legalized product.

Such an action would take great steps in eliminating the national deficit. Certain safeguards would have to be taken in order to secure the grubbermint's money, of course. For example:

1. Homegrowing would still have to be illegal without a proper license, such as a state license granted to microbrewers of beer. Yeah, I know, it sucks for us growers, but certain sacrifices have to be made, ya know?
    2. Uncontrolled importation would have to be illegal, unless it went directly to a distribution center where it could be properly taxed. Such an action would cause an effect similar to that of imported beer/liquor...albeit on a much larger scale. BC bud and Dutch bud would be considered more 'elite.' Higher taxes could be imposed on imported bud, just for shiggles.
    3. Drive drunk? Get a DWI, lose your drivers license, etc. Same could go for DUIM (Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana) although i do say you'd probably have to be pretty stoned in order to this to be detected....and we might have to go by the law enforcement officer's word on it. I'm still trying to think of a way around that...not an easy answer comes to mind.
    4. Hashish could be done this way too, but taxed even higher. I've never done hash, so I don't know the street value. It would be in higher demand than even pot, so the grubbermint could claim even more taxes.

I'd love to see this happen...but i'm not holding my breath. I remain optimistic while all the while keeping realistic.

RC

4. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

how would you prevent people growing it? at the moment its one of the most punishable crimes. at the moment, growers can be found by tracing dealers. if weed was legal, there would be no traces to weed growers because people would jsut say they bought it from a store.
    at the moment they dont go out of their way to bust single plants, even if they will bust it if they found it.

if weed was legal, there would be practically no reason to go bust individuals except to save the economy much less money than it takes to pay officers to go searching for dope plants.

making growing illegal but smoking legal doesnt work you dont need heaps of equiptment to grow weed, but you do to make decent amounts of alchohol, and moonshine is horrible compared to commercial drinks, unlike a plant

5. mushroomherb

mushroomherb Member

so, weed leagalization would stop a fuck load of violence and shit. what they should do is this:
    make it leagal, only regulate it like they do tobaco, a fine for minors and a fine for doing it in public...problem solved!

6. mushroomherb

mushroomherb Member

i agree completly(you should make the laws)

7. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

I think if marijuana were legalized it would save the failing American economy. We could revive all of the wasting farmlands of the Mid-west and the South with marijuana agriculture and create a value-added marijuana tourism industry. I believe if it were made legal as corn per say, there would be a increase in usage at first, and a decrease in alcohol and meth use which would significantly impact increasing America's overall productivity in the long run. If marijuana and hemp were our main cash crops we could save our trees in the National forest, and it's better for the land and goes 10 times further than cotton or trees industrially. Legalization could also impact America's nutrition crisis in that hemp seed is one of the healthiest foods. Hemp you can sleep in in, wear it, live in it,eat it, run your auto on it, write on it, wash your hair with it's extracts, ect. it can do anything oil can do and do it better. We could turn our economy around if we learned to embrace one of God's most special gifts to man kind - marijuana.

Bringing marijuana back to American agriculture would encourage young people to come back to the farms reversing the depopulation trends throughout the rural Mid-west and West.

Weed doesn't make everyone lazy, however some poeple use it as an excuse to be lazy, there's a big diffence in causality there. Marijuana in and of it's self doesn't cause laziness.

Weed should be as free as corn, anyone should be able to grow it and benefit from it. Marijuana is one plant that has the least toxic qualities of any plant, you can't overdose on it. Comparing marijuana to opium is like comparing marijuana with cocaine, they are totally different. Opuim is like the best marijuana on the plant times 100 with effect, the the long term outcomes of usage patterns between the two are like venus and pluto in relation to the solar system, a big stretch to say the least.

8. KParker730

KParker730 Member

yeah too bad our government doesnt see things like you do

9. Warrior Stylee

Warrior Stylee Member

My uncle is an amp-ut in a weel chair smokes cannabis instead of taking the systems shit like morphine.
    He was on the news awhile back trying to legalize pot for disabled people,
    as you know its a herb that helps repair the nervous system and with its other qualities its a perfect remedy. Ofcourse people agreed & vice-versa, my point is,
    it has a different use to everyone.

And I hate the fact were slaves for the government (in more ways than 1) we can't do simple things like have a smoke & feel free and motivated to maybe paint your house neon green instead of paying tax's etc. and being a boxed well thought out citizen.

anyways good thread imie outie.

10. AcousticPeace

AcousticPeace Member

it would be a lot safer if marijuana was leagal and controlled by the government. cuz they could grow some really great shit... im tellin ya. if the government would just compromise with drug use. maybe we'll get there one day.

11. skyjewelz

skyjewelz Member

Even though i'd like weed to be legal i'm not shure selling it in stores would be a good thing. It would be like cigarettes, the government would inject the joints with chemicals and stuff...just another way to control us.

12. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

yea. it sounds nice and convienient to just walk to 711 and buy 5 joints, but they would put even more addicting and harmful chemicals then they do with ciggs. maybe they can have a limit on plants you can grow? like 2 plants max. they know most people wont go through the trouble to grow their own shit so most will still buy from stores. but id much rather grow my own.

13. skyjewelz

skyjewelz Member

I thought it was illegal to grow tobacco, if so wouldn't it still be illegal to grow plants yourself if the government had control and sold in stores?

14. ginseng23

ginseng23 Member

I don't think it will be legal anytime soon. Too many ignorant people will continue to vote against legalizing it who dont know the history of why it even became illegal. It isnt because its bad. It is based on quite a few things but two mainly: racism and economics.

Economics- The government knows that it is natural and a plant and if it was legal alot of people would grow their own and say forget buying from the gov since it isnt a hard plant to grow. I have heard it grows like a weed and needs minimal care once established. The other side of economics is the dea and police would lose jobs busting people since pot is currently the most widely abused illegal drug in the USA.

Racism- Initially it was blamed on the mexicans for seducing white women and was used as a scapegoat much in the same way as the germans accused the jews for causing the social problems in germany. That is racism also. Marijuana would become the scapegoat just like the jews would be for all of nazi germany's problems. There is a saying i learned from a philosophy class: In order to overcome ignorance sometimes it is important to know a little bit about the history of whatever particular subject u are talking about. If people want to just be ignorant about why pot is illegal then let them i guess. Doesnt mean it should be illegal though cause most are ignorant about why its illegal.

Back to the economics the fda reacts the same way. They will say negative stuff about herbals all the time and for the same reason. If its natural and a plant u can grow yourself they cant make money off it. Alcohol is alot harder to grow than a weed( cannabis for instance). Its alot easier and cheaper to go buy it from the store. I figured out the cost of ingredients and it would be just as cheap to buy from a store than brew your own. Probably taste better at the store unless u really good at brewing.

Tobacco also would be hard to grow in alot of places especially for the amount most addicts need. 20 cigs a day times 365 days a year is alot of plants.

15. rob1134

rob1134 Member

"Wouldn't it be safer if marijuana was legal? I mean, kids buy it from strangers whose nickname (something like The Striker or whatnot)"

I thought this was kinda funny, my dealers name is Hacksaw, i also know another dealer who calls himself Fresh G or some stupid shit. Just thought i should add that.