Will Technology Save the Planet?

Discussion in 'Alternative Technologies' started by Littlefoot, Oct 12, 2007.

1. mindtraveling

mindtraveling Member

Good points everyone.

But I feel so miniscule in the grand scheme of things, like what positive does it do just posting on HF, other than spreading your ideology to a bunch of individuals who are like minded anyways....

What kinda action do you take to actually make some sort of poositive impact?

2. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Well, I don't have a license so it's not really an option, but even if I did I'd still ride my bike most places when it's nice out. I try to recycle, I keep the lights off in the house that aren't being used.

3. mindtraveling

mindtraveling Member

^word thats cool and all, cheers to you! :)

I mean in relation to consumerism, and what not, its just I see this country and people always want the new..... whatever may have you (car, phone, clothes, just totally un-necessary things)

And i know i preached about how annoying materialism is in other threads but its such a rediculous problem that if it didnt exist, the world would be far better and much much more simple!!

But im just a face, what do my words do, peoples opinions aint changin'.

And my semi-off topic rant is over.

4. EssentialRationality

EssentialRationality Member

We definitely have the means to create a sustainable, environment friendly society on our planet. As others have mentioned, it becomes a question of economics. Humans are notoriously bad for looking at the long-term. With lifespans around 70-80 years, it's easy to seek the profits today, even if they may not be particularly friendly to the planet in the long run.

This is something we need to stop doing. It's not coincidence that if humans died out, just about everything else on this planet would thrive. I'm currently pursuing a career in sustainable energies, and I can tell you that there is a lot of promise out there. However, one method is not going to be enough. It's going to take a combination of solar, hydro, thermal, and wind to truly make a difference. Furthermore, the materials of alternative energy need to be environmentally friendly.

As I've said before, it's a matter of economics. There are a lot of great environmentally friendly techs out there, but they're very difficult to monopolize. We all know that big oil and other dangerous industries control the commanding heights of our society, our politicians, and therefore our legislation. It's difficult to create sustained profits off of green tech. Once someone makes the initial purchase of solar panels, there is no longer a method for companies to profit. You can't tax the sunshine after all. It's terribly ironic, but the reason we should be incorporating these technologies is also the reason they aren't being incorporated. A catch-22 at its finest.

I like to think we can figure it out before it's too late though, although it is 2010 and we still haven't figured out how to feed everyone on this planet, even though the technology is more than there. I understand the importance of capitalism, but many find it too easy to abandon any sense of moral and ethics in the hopes of seeking a profit. It's this disregard and willingness to use people as a means to a profitable end that's keeping us back.

Let's just hope some good can come out of this gulf oil spill and make people realize the devastating effects we are having on our one little planet. Humans get one pair of eyes, and we take care of them. We get one set of teeth, so we take care of them. We get one planet, so why are we not taking care of it?

5. Amsler

Amsler Member

It's possible. Difficult, but possible. Like it's been said here, moderation is the key. We just have to find the right balance and stick with it. There are ways to be much more self-sufficient and eco-friendly, they just take a lot of work and dedication. Just the other night I met somebody who grows his own fruits and vegetables, as well as other things, to use the least amount of 'harmful' technologies as possible.

And if you want to commit longterm and are young, study this kind of thing in school, I'm sure there are fields where you can sneak in and change things little by little.

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I agree 10000000%!!

All this newer crap is just made TO SPY ON PEOPLE,KEEP TRACK OF THEM!!

7. worldsofdarkblue

worldsofdarkblue Banned

The planet doesn't need technology to save it. Ultimately, the planet will be just fine.

The real question is, will technology save us?

8. EssentialRationality

EssentialRationality Member

Over half the world is still considered "underdeveloped" by Western classification. I think it's extremely important that the technology is present to allow them to skip the fossil fuels stage of development.

9. worldsofdarkblue

worldsofdarkblue Banned

I think most of those underdeveloped people are likely to perish from lack of food and water in the too distant future.