Why is Salvia legal and weed not?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by weedwhacker, Nov 19, 2007.

1. egle

egle Member

so its legal becuase its a uncomftable high, lol that cant be right, I think its because it doesnt do alot of harm to your body and thats what te govement look at.

2. Dark||Nomad

Dark||Nomad Member

No, Salvia is more than likely still legal because it has just sort of stayed in the shadows under the radar, not many people even know it exists.

Cannabis is illegal because of mainly actions made by Dupont to keep their monopoly on the paper industry in the 30's and to eradicate hemp. Hemp was a stiff competitor against tree based paper products, and they did not want that.

You can't make anything else out of a Salvia Divinorum plant other than the smokeable herb. With Cannabis you can make plastic, biogas, food, rope, paper, etc. So it would harm established companies that make these products.

3. crankyelbow

crankyelbow Makes Music

Oh they *could* just switch on over to the more environmentally friendly product... but that may hurt their image... which means billions less raked in next year.

Daddy needs 4 bentley's and an island - every year - forever.

4. crankyelbow

crankyelbow Makes Music

Salvia doesn't last for a couple hours.

Given the story I'd say he's probably full of shyte ;)

5. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Reading about the effects of salvia seems terrifying to me. I don't know why anyone would want to experience anything so scary and intense.

6. crankyelbow

crankyelbow Makes Music

Curiosity.

It killed the cat and my previous form of being, or something like that... insane trip, completely insane... if there was ever a drug you DONT do at a party, its salvia.

7. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

I tried to ride a bike on salvia and I started tripping out and thought I was on a space ship, I was going like five miles an hour and then tipped over and died laughing..

What a great day that was :D

8. fondfarewell

fondfarewell Member

I have had salvia trips/highs last for up to 45 minutes to an hour. Here is how: A salvia high can be killed very easily. I've had salvia highs last for 3 minutes because a friend yelled at me for something or I broke something, etc. You have to be very relaxed. What I like to do is lay down on a couch or somewhere comfortable and listen to my iPod. Usually quiet music like Elliott Smith, Bob Dylan, or even The Beatles. I wouldn't recommend "hardcore" or screaming type music as it can be kind of buzz kill (for me anyway, perhaps for some people this type of music can move you). I just let the iPod play and let the trip/high take me wherever. Once it was 1:00 in the morning and we went outside to smoke some salvia. I went back inside and did what I just described. Then when I came out of it, I looked at the time and it was 2:15! It may have just been that I had gone into a half-sleep, but either way it was fun! Salvia can be intense and crazy. I often find myself studering and not being able to think logically or speak correctly.

9. jusdino4it

jusdino4it DR. Lifetime Supporter

I personally enjoy salvia. But yeah, the reason its still legal is because it was only really discovered in modern times to give you a high in 1936. (it was used by the azteks way back). And even after that it didnt really get used at all by people until the 1990s when people started sellng it over the internet. So its a very new thing and hasent had time to pass through the law making prosses. Not to mention, saliva that gets you high is just a certain type of salvia plant, and not the others. But the others are found very commenly all over the US, its a very commen plant for gardners as well. It would be really hard to only ban the certain type of salvia that gets you high and not the entire species. Not to mention having just one type of it banned would make it near immpossible to enforce due to the fact that its hard to tell one leaf from another.

10. crankyelbow

crankyelbow Makes Music

there are plenty of laws made in the face of stupidity... a medicinal plant with profound uses is made out to be satan, while a plant that actually does kill millions every year is perfectly legal and commonly accepted.

I wouldn't be surprised if our leadership decided it was a good idea to criminalize millions of gardeners.... need more in the labor camp/prison.

Time for a political change... vote :)

11. J.C

J.C Member

The true reason as i know it is the U.S back when mj was legal, didn't like mexicans or blacks, and mexicans brought the stuff over to the U.S and in effort to make mexicans not want to be here, and other factors not related to the drug it's self it was made illegal. A quote i find ineresting from a texas senator "all mexicans are crasy, and this is the stuff(mj) that makes them crasy" check out http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/index.htm for more info.

J.C

12. Dark||Nomad

Dark||Nomad Member

An example of a stupid law is that Sex Toys are illegal in Alabama, USA, I know this for certain because I live here...

13. evansmj90

evansmj90 Member

Salvia is illegal in australia and is on the strictest schedule (i think) Schedule 1 - the same as pot

14. Sezzy

Sezzy Member

Lolz, salvia and marijuana are incomparable. At low enough doses salvia makes things trippy, a little higher dose and you laugh for no reason at all within the trippiness of it all. But once you break through, it's a rollercoaster.. or more accurately, you are the rollercoaster and the tracks are your subconscious. You could be easily screwed without a sitter. I became near suicidal once thinking the whole world hated me for 10-20 minutes and had to keep reminding myself it was a short trip. To whoever said they easily broke out of their trip by breaking something or being yelled at, you are VERY LUCKY, as a bad salvia trip for many is one of the worse. But the good breakthroughs I had were some of the most psyche altering, in depth looks at myself I have ever had, and I'm very thankful to have had them (I got my own 2d incomprehensible shape that stayed with me for nearly a year; and could only see it when I was on salvia or slight flashes of it while I was high :) ). Yea it's pretty ridiculous that salvia is legal and MJ isn't.

15. Class

Class Member

Um, I thought salvia is schedueled to become illegal pretty soon?

16. J.C

J.C Member

Not alot of people know about salvia cause it scares most users away, unlike mj were nearly everyone who tried it liked it , at least a little.

J.C

17. PhishheadDeadhead

PhishheadDeadhead Senior Member

i think theres something fishy about it.

one time at the beach a few years ago i saw some dirt looking stuff, obviously it had been ground. and asked what it was and the lady replied salvia.

later in the day i came back with my friends older brother and he asked another lady working the next shift about it and she started cussing at us telling us to leave and shit.

18. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

Salvia is legal in California, but not Arizona. That much I know regarding its legality. I've never seen it in incense form, just smokable form. it comes in strengths; the stronger it is, the more expensive. Example: 10X, 20X, 30X, etc.
    I've seen it sold in Head Shops, but thats it. Its freakin' expensive!
    Its only a matter of time before the government outlaws that too; because expanding your mind is BAAAD....

19. Gormur

Gormur Member

Politics. Alcohol and meds make people foggy headed. [size=-1]Psychedelic drugs allow freer thinking and cause people to question authority (Big Brother), life, etc. And if everyone is smoking pot and using other natural remedies, who's going to take all the prescription drugs? It's all about the pharmaceuticals making money. The drugs they create are meant to be addictive. Ethics never comes into the equation. That's for damn sure.

As for salvia, it's legal because it isn't really a recreational drug, so not very desirable like party drugs, it is expensive, and its effects last for a very short amount of time (5-10 minutes). My guess anyway...
    [/size]

20. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

beacuase legalising salvia:

does not threaten investments in oil, clothes paper etc

does not make the government seem weak and indecisive

salvia was never an excuse for the US government to deomonise mexican immigrants.

weed is/was all these things, as is my understanding.