Why Is Art Important?

Discussion in 'Art' started by RichardTheFrog, Nov 16, 2014.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Didn't have time to read the whole thread, but here's my take:

Without art, the anthropogenic world would be a very bland if not ugly place to live. Sure, everything might be reliably operational and functional, just as it is today. Infrastructure would work sufficiently as it does today. But it would not be a very visually appealing world to live in. Everything you see that was professionally built by mankind was built with an aesthetic goal in mind. Not only does it end with infrastructure, but movies would be lame and bland. Art also has therapeutic value as it evokes certain emotions out of people.

2. Chigurh

Chigurh Members

Agree, though to play devil's advocate, wouldn't the efficiency of most social structures produce greater functionality without aesthetics? I understand without inspiration and conflict work ethics become trivial, at the same time unity, insofar as a global 'job' could be thought of as perfection, which too is an aesthetic goal. What if the only reason we haven't expanded beyond Earth, is simply because we haven't explored the options of what a NWO actually have to offer?

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Not at all. Aesthetics don't steal anything from function as long as it's designed well. Without design and art, its possible that everything would look the same, and lack character. When it comes to design, form always follows function.

2 people like this.
  4. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94 Members

"Art is supposed to teach you something you didn't know about yourself."
    Don't know where the quote came from, but i can't take credit for that gem lol.

And if you don't know yourself, chances are a lot of other people that don't either. And a society full of people like that, can lead to nothing but trouble.
    Both on a macro and micro scale.

So to answer the op's question, society needs art to remove the illusionary veil of separation between people in said society.

5. UniversalTransmission

UniversalTransmission Members

Art helps us look at things in new ways. It gives us different perspectives that we otherwise might never feel emotionally. There is a high relationship between math and art. Perhaps exploring that relationship might give insight as to its beauty in a way that you can better relate to

6. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

It's a pocket of consciousness, so it reflects the mindset of the creator.

That can be very useful at the same time as being communal.

1 person likes this.
  7. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Hmm, maybe 'footprint' would be a better description... but no, pocket works well.

8. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Mathematicians, physicists, and others you might not think of as artistic have for eons based their work upon aesthetic considerations as much as anything else. Both math and aesthetics have been traced to the visual centers of our brains and are apparently emergent phenomena produced by pattern matching. While that might sound of only abstract interest, the US government has admitted they have classified a few jokes as "Vital to the National Defense". You could say that reason uses a digital approach to problem solving and emotions employ a more analog one with the combination of the two being widely acknowledged as more powerful than either one alone.

9. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

It is the Encouragement of Expansive, Creative and Imaginative thought - and as such = A Necessity of Developmental Evolution

10. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

art is important because it is a form of communication where you commune with the artist, a relationship is formed, even if they have died 10,000 years ago

whereas most people cannot communicate to someone they live with everyday

1 person likes this.
  11. WOLF ANGEL

It also has the capacity - and capability - to cross borders and boundaries of language and background in order to both communicate and indeed inspire interaction and appreciation of many subjects, themes and thought provoking issues

12. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

What about where art and technology intersect? Design. The Guggenheim museums would work the same if they were all simple concrete boxes. Or would they? You can live just as well in a mobile home as a house designed by Frank Gehry or Rem Koolhaas. Or could you? A Honda will get you where you need to go. A Corvette can go fast, but a Ferrari or a Pagani has art in its being.

Science and art are equally valid lenses through which one can look at the world. Biologically, we are equipped to do both. Einstein considered himself an artist, or "enough of an artist," meaning maybe he wasn't totally an artist, but he could fully appreciate and relate to the subtle beauty that is communicated through art. Then there are artists that are very much like scientists. Kazimir Malevich for one, or many of the original professors and historically important artists such as Kandinsky and Itten at the German Bauhaus art and architecture school of the first half of the 20th century concieved of art such as painting for example, in very precise, theoretical, and scientifically experimental terms to great effect. Many of the great scientists say that a sense of wonder, curiosity, and creativity are the most important qualities a scientist can posses. Further, the more recesses that science illumines, the more we learn things are not what we seem. I think that ultimately science and art inform each other. Science gets bogged down by the authority it induces over scientists. When people take chances and act with authority listening to their inner voice is where the greatest scientific achievements come from. Who cares if you're misunderstood for a few centuries. "To be great is to be misunderstood" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

13. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

"We sometimes mistakenly group the once-and-a-half-witted with the half-witted because we are capable of appreciating only one third of their wit."

HDT

14. WOLF ANGEL

The tools of Art can be infinite - Mixing the technology of science and intellect of human creativity = not an unheard of production of Art form

15. Neem

Neem Members

I am not the best artist, but I do like to paint alto, for me its like therapy. I started painting at like 15 and have enjoyed it since. I've always been more of art person. Don't even get me started on mathematics Lol (no good at it. )

I think art is important because it is a way of expressing your inner soul and to share your views on things in a more visual way. Also I have come to learn that everything on our earth and in our universe is essentaly art. While not everything is pleasant to look at it its still beautiful in its own way. Look at sacred geomaty, there is so much of that in our universe.

16. Neem

Neem Members

I am not the best artist, but I do like to paint alto, for me its like therapy. I started painting at like 15 and have enjoyed it since. I've always been more of art person. Don't even get me started on mathematics Lol (no good at it. )

I think art is important because it is a way of expressing your inner soul and to share your views on things in a more visual way. Also I have come to learn that everything on our earth and in our universe is essentaly art. While not everything is pleasant to look at it its still beautiful in its own way. Look at sacred geomaty, there is so much of that in our universe.

17. chirchri

chirchri Members

It makes me richer in knowledge, inspired and ambitious.

18. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

Art is definitely a way people can express a lot of things... there is really such a large spectrum of things that fall under the art umbrella... I feel like if every building looked exactly the same, if there was no music, if there were no drawings in history books to depict what our founding fathers, etc. looked like then life would be pretty boring... it may even be a means of release for some people if they can draw, paint, sing or build something to express how their feeling, or to just get out some emotion...

... we're all human, after all, and while there is a time to buckle down work and focus on the facts of life, there has to be room for passion, expression and time to just feel relaxed because of those passions... I feel the same about sports... my favorite two things in life are playing guitar and i loved playing baseball (and basketball)... when you're in those moments it's just a sense of freedom

19. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Art is important to me because painting is one of my favorite things in the world to do......and yes, it is a sense of freedom while doing it.......
    I have been painting ever since I could hold a paint brush in my hands.....so for me it is a must to do...plain and simple.

1 person likes this.
  20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Art can be important in the context of history too. It's like, for any given period there of course can be any given number of styles. But within that you can see, especially throughout history what types of things were very influential during those times.

1 person likes this.