Why Do You Think A Lack Of Meat Upsets People So Much?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by unfocusedanakin, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I got a feeling the vegetables in supermarkets aren't as freshly grown as people think.

If they freeze their fruit, they're freezing those vegetables too. Freshly picked, yeah right, 3 months ago and have lived in a freezer ever since.

Probably the most authentic thing in a produce section are those ugly carrots they sell in bags that nobody wants. They aren't cosmetically nice to look at, so they don't sell and disregarded more as rabbit food so that kinda tells me that they're natural looking and not manufactured to be produced to look a certain way for sale.

Like bananas. Do you know many bananas are actually just destroyed because the supermarket will not buy them because they too big, too small or curved differently? It's enormous. So they lose money and farmers don't want to lose money, right? So they use unnatural methods to farm so that their industry can sell.

Now I don't know how they fix the bananas, but no doubt they didn't sprinkle seed, sew and wait for rain to grow their vegetables. I've seen photos of people working on vegetable farms that are decked out in biohazard jackets and gas masks.

Yep, gotta be fresh food if they're wearing that stuff outdoors...

:unsure:

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

After all this in answer to the OP's thread title, it's because humans are omnivores and meat is an intended part of humans diet outside of any moralistic BS, that is why a lack of meat in a person's diet upsets them so much.

ps, you should think/reconsider how you word thread titles ;)

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I've cut up rabbits before now to prepare for the pot. How that came about is another story, but it was years back. It's not very much different from filleting fish. Not pleasant, but doable.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Noxious, I recepct you greatly. I also mostly enjoy the debates.
    I think that most people have respect for life. I include you.

My point is omnivorous humans are capable of deciding to forego meat and eat lower on the food chain.
    That ethical sense, or moral sense, is what separates us from lower animals.

I think I use my brother as a comparison that differed from the "infants are dull witted, why not eat them" garbage I've seen.

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I agree with that completely.
    But it does not mean that a person who chooses to include meat in their diets posses any less morality than a person who chooses to forgo meat in their diets.
    no person is on any higher or lower moral ground than the other merely by virtue of their dietary choices.

1 person likes this.
  6. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

Interesting. Where are all these meat eaters lecturing about why vegetarians need to eat meat? Plenty to be found as to why meat eaters are considered bad people by vegan and vegetarians. The problem is many vegetarians judge meat eaters for their choices and killing of animals, supposedly needlessly. Allergy to nuts and eggs, hate fish, where do vegarians suggest I get my protein from.?

Bottom line, it is my body I will do what I want with it and you can do the same.

7. Uncut

Uncut Members

First off, you sound completely ignorant buy calling meat eaters "they". Sorry but maybe you need to hang around some better friends. I know a few vegetarians and I don't give a fucking shit what they eat nor do I poke fun or make jokes about what they eat or that I eat meat. I'm pretty sure the majority of people don't give a rats ass what you eat. I'm not sure what your post is about. Your not talking about the lack of meat...your talking about the poor choice of people you eat with and how they make jokes about what you eat.

Make better choices.

8. drumminmama

Correct. We operate under different weights in our ethical codes.
    Different isn't necessarily a better or worse.

For those of us who see taking animal life and the conditions livestock are subjected to, as less than optimal, and many meat eaters are in this particular Venn diagram, it's higher on the list.

I personally believe there are ways to lessen suffering and consume animal protein.
    The current mass-scale version isn't it.

But I have a question for the heavy meat eaters. Where do you get your fiber? ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I agree concerning the deplorable conditions of some segments of the industry, some changes are beginning to be made, BUT
    lots of people in the world
    logistics are a bitch

10. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

No I am talking about posts like this. I don't mean to offend people who eat meat or say I am somehow better. I fully acknowledge the human body can digest meat. I see how "they" can be be somewhat general but I don't see anything I said that puts you down. I've even admitted to once eating meat myself. But clearly I am somehow upsetting you and I don't see how. My guess is somewhere deep down you do feel bad for your choices. So you work very hard to justify them.

Why else are you so bothered? Do you see in me something that you wish you could be? It's not like I will stop you from eating meat. Yet you are so determined to undermine my opinion. It's very suspect. Lots of people who eat meat do love animals. So I think a lot of them have this inner struggle. So we have things like the farm industry which claims things are humanely raised which often charge more in the shops.

I was hoping for some thrower plat based diet people to post here. Instead this turning into an argument I did not wish to have. I can't make your life choices and I am sorry if I seemed condescending. I just care about this topic.

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I doubt many meat eaters have "inner struggles" in the way it seems you want to concoct them/us as having. I love animals but I have an inner struggle with eating meat in the same way I have an inner struggle with smoking pot. to clarify the analogy and to help eludcidate the point, do you have inner struggles with smoking pot eventhough drug cartels and gangs profit from it?

1 person likes this.
  12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

you sure as fuck make a LOT of assumptions about what other people think and feel, in reality you have no idea whatsoever and are only projecting your own moralistic bullshit onto other people.

This phrase alone;
    "I've even admitted to once eating meat myself."
    is very indicative of the emotional and moralistic bullshit you inject into the topic.
    By using the word "admitted" you are saying that there is something wrong with eating meat.
    get over yourself already, you make your dietary choices, others make theirs,
    who really gives a shit when there are sooo many more pressing and vital things to concern oneself over.

13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

One thing I've noticed about some vegans I know is that they wear leather shoes, or even jackets. Evidently either that's a blind spot, or they don't really mind animals dying just as long as they don't eat any part or product. I can't really see the difference if you want to make this into an ethical argument. Animals are killed to produce leather goods.

Another one is wine. I know vegans who drink it, and ignore the fact that animal products such as isinglass, casein and albumin are commonly used in its production. When I pointed this out to one person they came up with the argument that it's all gone from the wine before it's bottled.Pretty lame IMO.

1 person likes this.
  14. drumminmama

I took "admitted" as a synonym to fessed up. Meaning, he didn't really want to. And I took it as a touch lighthearted.
    Because I would use the terms tongue-in-cheek.

15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

words have implicit connotations, further enhanced by the context in which they are used.
    even the phrase "fessed up" carries with it the connotation that the person felt what they did was wrong.
    It's not me, it's how the English language works. ;)
    We can't just pick and choose/alter word definitions and meanings to suit our thoughts, that's why English has so many words in it, is the most widely utilized language and why it is important to have a good vocabulary at one's disposal.
    wording it the way he did implied he felt eating meat was wrong.
    again not my interpretation, just how our language works.
    If that is not what he intended to communicate, then he needs to expand his vocabulary.

16. drumminmama

Perhaps it is a context obvious when spoken, but not written?
    I see that as a failure in forum communication.

But hey, we don't use text speak here, so rejoice.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I do think modern humans living in wealthy countries eat too much meat. The human body does require certain nutrients mostly only found in meat (and supplememts, of course) but the human body was also never meant to consume meat 3 meals a day. I practice a "flexetarian" diet myself where I eat a lot of vegetarian meals and only eat meat about 3 times a week.

This also enables me to purchase from local farms and consume only humanely raised meat which I wouldnt be able to afford if I ate meat with every meal.

There are a lot of issues with factory farms that go beyond the simplistic vegetarian vs meat eater argument

3 people like this.
  18. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't eat much meat. I have a 6 lb. bag of whey protein though, so I'm not lacking sufficient protein.

19. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"Flexitarian diet..."...makes sense, Mel.

I don't even like the taste of meat or poultry without sauces or seasonings....
    Seafood is my choice and eggs, too....but once in awhile I will eat meat but must disguise the cadaver taste with something....
    Unfortuneately, dogs need a 70 percent meat diet, so chicken is cooked for them every day here and sometimes beef. ...and of course, turkey.
    and I am hard boiling eggs so many days a week for their snacks.

i read that in factory farming....animals know they are getting slaughtered...hear and see many before them.......and they release fear chemicals and things......not to mention hormones and everything else they are pumped up with...and humans eat all that.....

20. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't think that is necessarily true. To take give an extreme example: If someone in our society killed and ate other humans regularly (outside of any crazy survival scenario), would they be more or less moral than someone who had a typical omnivore diet? Cannibalism is perfectly natural. Human bodies are perfectly equipped to eat and digest other human bodies, and it occurs frequently in nature. In fact, it still occurs in some human societies. Yet, thinking of it makes most of our stomachs turn. That is because diet is, to most of us, a moral issue on some level. Where do we draw the line? Many things are objectively "natural", but that does not mean we should engage in those behaviors. We know better. We are accountable, unlike our less intellectually endowed counterparts.