Why are conspiracy theories discredited?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by mckarkies, Jan 6, 2011.

1. mckarkies

mckarkies Member

I have realized that even conspiracy theorist who can provide substantial evidence are seen as a whack jobs. Even when these people can prove a point with some valid information it is discredited. I do note that I see quite a few theories that are no way tangible, yet, people just toss them all aside as that. I think some theories can be substantially proven, yet people over look them because media and those in charge say so. If anything, some of them give us a better understanding of how the government works and helps you explore more into it. And I am not talking about aliens, water fluoridation, Hitler being the Antichrist; more along the lines of One world government, constitutional rights being violated to further exploit Americans, mass media control through news outlets, FEMA, organizations that help the rich, rigged elections, etc.

Many times though, I see it as a 2 headed sword. I feel that sometimes a so called theorists is really someone just trying to get your money, or someone who is trying to fight the wrong battle for their own personal reasons or for those that they are supposedly against. As I said before thought, it at least makes to dig deeper into research. Something that the government doesn't want is more restless citizens. The tea party is one such aspect that is great, because many people now can fight for one cause, and use their collective sources to get information that is unbiased, and find if citizens are being duped.

We all know deep down who the real enemy is, and we need to find out how to solve this problem.

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

1) other conspiracy theorists
    2) their general behavior
    3) the holes in their conspiracies
    4) their lack of proof
    5) their false information

I have not seen one (modern) conspiracy theory that did not fail on all 5 accounts.

The problem is the people that have power and want to take or control things - it always has been, it always will be - simple animal nature.
    But often, these are conspiracy theorists.
    Look at people like Michael Moore, that just pile lie on lie, edit speeches together and everything; they can't possibly care about the truth; they can't possibly care about their cause. They want money.

3. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

If there is a massive amount of substantial rational evidence to back up someone's case it isn't a conspiracy theory. Some people are willing to ignore all rational and objective facts if said facts will destroy their view of the world. For example with so many asinine political conspiracies, NWO, 9/11 Fema death camps, Illuminati, IMF/World bank control of the world, whatever you want it to be. It's easier to believe in these and continue to think there's some massive world wide conspiracy than to participate in rational politics that actually involve learning the issues from various points of view. I think it also risks destroying an idealism. Believing in a conspiracy on such a grand scale means you can think people are being screwed by their oppressors vs having to accept the fact people are just often assholes, there's political realities of what can be done, the electorate is not the brightest or most compassionate group of people, international banks aren't going to loan out money to countries with guaranteed reforms being imposed, ect.

Also what Duck said.

Double also, what I always found ironic is the duality in paranoid thinking, on one hand you'll have someone believe the government is this omnipotent structure that can manufacture a terrorist attack that would involve millions of people to be in the know, organize secret death camps under the noses of everyone, have chips implanted in everyone, all while being controlled by some NWO that has never been uncovered through organizations such as the UN, IMF and world bank.

Yet on the flip side we apparently can't get a rocket to the moon.

Though I've always wondered what it's like to be completely delusional in conspiracy thoughts. I only know one person, my friends cousin who is like that. We didn't land on the moon, 9/11 was a government operation, the WTO is some branch of the illuminati or something, FEMA death camps, you name it, he believes it. He also has textbook paranoid schizophrenic thoughts on just one hit of acid, so it gives me an idea.

*edit*
    The above made me think of another idea, a lot of conspiracy theorists derive their conspiracies from just being completely paranoid. Like they don't understand the fact to most people their ideas are paranoid, not rational and against the facts.

Fuck, there are people who still actually think the world is flat.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7540427.stm

I mean there are conspiracies that are up for actual debate, aliens, JFK, heck even Atlantis. Than there's straight up paranoid ones like believing we never landed on the moon and FEMA death camps. Then there's the flat earth people.

4. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

conspiracy theories, like religion, explain large unpleasant occurrences to people who cannot tolerate randomness and coincidence

5. LoneDeranger

LoneDeranger Trying to pay attention.

I must be out of the loop.

Who is the real enemy?

6. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

the guy who took the car keys

7. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

That and that one guy. He knows who he is.

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Because there's such silly things as people talking about international jewish banking conspiracies and FEMA death camps, along side such legitimate things as many hundreds of archetects and demolition experts saying 9/11 was demolition. It kind of discredits the legitimate ones.

9. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

because its not real unless its on TV

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Thats right!!!

Most people are BRAINWASHED by MSM and its sad.... (They wont look anywhere else)

11. the_trippy_hippy

the_trippy_hippy Member

Probably because the term "conspiracy theory" has such negative connotations. All anyone needs to do to discredit a conspiracy theory is call it a conspiracy theory!

Dude111 likes this.
  12. raz5

raz5 زینب

oh, the man doesn't want your conspiracies known since they are real. the man is that smart.

13. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

because people should accept that we fucked up this world openly and all by ourselves :mickey:

14. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

They are discredited because they are conspiracy theories, I.E

an alternative interpretation of a generally accepted view.

15. krist1986

krist1986 Guest

I think a lot of conspiracy theories are discredited because a lot of people seem to find conspiracies in everything.

However, I do think some theories are well-thoughout-out with lots of evidence to support them.

People in general want to believe that everything the media tells them is the truth, so every time someone tries to cast the media in a bad light, some people just don't want to believe it.

I don't feel this way myself, the media only tells the people what they want to hear.

16. Voice of Truth

Voice of Truth Member

Because it is a well know established fact dating back to the time before the fall of the bronze age culture that

The Rich and the Powerful NEVER conspire to increase their wealth and power.

In the past conspiracy theorists had their place and without a doubt some were better than others. But that "crazy" ones never stopped the good ones from contributing to society. Go to a big library (wikipedia won't cut it. I checked) and do some serious research on Agent Orange and it will blow you away on the significant role many conspiracy theorists played in unmasking the truth about this defoliant.

Between the Internet, television and Hollywood. The people of the United States are a very controled people. Almoust everything that runs contrary to the popular opinion is automatically labled "stupid." It really hurts me to say this but the United States of today is a very closed minded society. And nothing will ever get better until minds begin to reopen and entertain other possiblities. Large corporations and corrupt politicians will continue to persue their own personal agendas and canibalize the nation's people and resources for personal gain.

-----
    V.O.T.
    [​IMG]

17. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

Well, such things are usually presented in a ridiculous light. "FEMA death camps" could also be called "contingent detention centres," or could be cast as shelters for refugees of major disasters. All this branding has little to do with the actual facts, which are difficult to know, and are themselves contingent. Similar justifications could have been given for the construction of what became the Nazi death camps. The important question is how they are used, which remains to be seen. If people are taken there involuntarily, whether under the justification of their own welfare or not, and compelled to remain, it is a step toward that negative portrayal ("death camps"). Conditions in refugee camps and emergency detention centres are far from ideal; with this step, we are imprisoning people (whether by due process of law, one would hope, in the case of detention centres, or under the auspices of their own benefit, which is arguably more totalitarian) against their own will and under poor conditions. If we are talking about detention centres, the question regards their intended use and the nature thereof; if we are talking about refugee camps, the primary concern, I think, is that they are voluntary. The existence of these camps generates the fear that our leaders would choose to take power over vast numbers of us for reasons unknown. Unless the existence of these camps is admitted and their nature made a matter of public and legal record, it is difficult to justify their existence in a free society.

Of course, I have only addressed the issue of the FEMA camps here. It would be impossible to respond to all of these ideas in any reasonable amount of time.

18. lillallyloukins

lillallyloukins ⓑⓐⓡⓑⓐⓡⓘⓐⓝ

i'm pretty convinced that this is so, in order that the lies and deception of the current powers can continue....

19. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

20. A flowerchild's journey

A flowerchild's journey Member

in many way si think that conspiracy theries are the truth that we arnt told about .. but sometimes its easier to just believe in what were told?

I ask those questions still and thats the reason why im called crazy why people dont accept or share my veiws on things .. in some cases trying to find the truth puts you at risk but i think for some truth its worth its the risk ....