What Is Time?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Bud D, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Time is the fourth dimension.

I learned this in woodshop class in high school.

2. This is time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwYX52BP2Sk

2 people like this.
  3. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I might also be the first dimension, or the second or third. The x-axis might be the y-axis or the z-axis, we just don't know because we don't know what way up the universe is.

4. neonspectraltoast

neonspectraltoast Senior Member

One could always doubt that time passes in the absence of conscious awareness. Perhaps consciousness moves through a static physical reality. It isn't that anything is ever changing, or eroding, but just that we are coming to the conclusion of the timeless structure of things. We view reality in slices of what it actually is, slices changing from moment to moment. I don't know why it is that way, but it has to be some way, so why not?

I do believe that consciousness exists along all points of the superstructure of the material world simultaneously. I think our consciousness in the present can be present in the past and can alter the past whilst simultaneously it is shaping the future from the present as well. The latter of which should be patently obvious. Time itself is nothing, just like our consciousness is nothing. It's too much what we are to be able to point outside of ourselves and say "This is time." Just like we can't point outside of ourselves and say "This is consciousness." A linear stream of events just happens to be the way in which human consciousness interacts with reality. It is the consciousness itself that is changing, and it is the only thing that is really changing or really can change.

5. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

Time is coming, going, and gone. Kind of like sex.

1 person likes this.
  6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member

Time is a calendar measurement of monitoring - However - "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment

I want the 5 minutes back I just spent reading through this thread.....

1 person likes this.
  8. Marsquake

Marsquake Member

Time is what defines what you are and will be.

9. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Member

Time is the fire within which we burn and memory the ice within which we freeze.

10. Time is a stripper, doing it just for you

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Waddayagonnado Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

life is so brief and time is a thief

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member

Time is consciousness.

Hotwater

13. I see time as a gift. It gives your life meaning and purpose in this reality.
    Without time, what would be the point of anything? Would a sunset still be beautiful if you could stare at it however long you wanted to?
    And besides, whatever happens after death will last longer than your time here, so don't get to worried about what happens here my friend.

"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is."
    Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere."
    Both are good Yoda quotes on the subject lol

14. morrow

morrow Free as a bird

Something to judge the beat of your heart! When your heart stops! So does time!

1 person likes this.
  15. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Member

The future's so bright I have to wear dark sunglasses and 1000 spf sunblock, while the good old days are never what they used to be and time keeps flowing like a river right down into the sewer!

16. mcme

mcme Member

Time is merely a scale used to keep events in perspective.

1 person likes this.
  17. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Member

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once! John Wheeler

1 person likes this.
  18. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member

... or maybe like Vision, Sound, Inhalation, Caress and Indulge - a word to describe the (simplified) indescribable?

19. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Member

Time is both poetry in motion and crap rolling downhill or, as Einstein said, Relativity is the difference between having your hand on a hot stove or a hot date.

20. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

Time is definition of dependant reality.