What Is Time?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Bud D, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Time is the fire within which we burn and memory the ice within which we freeze.

2. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94 Members

Time is a stripper, doing it just for you

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

life is so brief and time is a thief

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Time is consciousness.

Hotwater

5. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94 Members

I see time as a gift. It gives your life meaning and purpose in this reality.
    Without time, what would be the point of anything? Would a sunset still be beautiful if you could stare at it however long you wanted to?
    And besides, whatever happens after death will last longer than your time here, so don't get to worried about what happens here my friend.

"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is."
    Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere."
    Both are good Yoda quotes on the subject lol

6. morrow

morrow Visitor

Something to judge the beat of your heart! When your heart stops! So does time!

1 person likes this.
  7. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

The future's so bright I have to wear dark sunglasses and 1000 spf sunblock, while the good old days are never what they used to be and time keeps flowing like a river right down into the sewer!

8. mcme

mcme lurker

Time is merely a scale used to keep events in perspective.

1 person likes this.
  9. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once! John Wheeler

1 person likes this.
  10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

... or maybe like Vision, Sound, Inhalation, Caress and Indulge - a word to describe the (simplified) indescribable?

11. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Time is both poetry in motion and crap rolling downhill or, as Einstein said, Relativity is the difference between having your hand on a hot stove or a hot date.

12. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

Time is definition of dependant reality.

13. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Time is the greater context that lends meaning to the content of our lives. A context without significant content and content without a greater context are a statistic of one, hence, the reason we see everything changing because a universe that never changes or is merely random is inconceivable. The arrow of time simply reflects the fact our minds don't work backwards.

14. Peteey

Peteey Members

Time is how we perceive the reality

15. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

It's more timey wimey stuff
    Edit: Just ask the Doctor he'll tell you all about it.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a regularization and quantization of entropy.
    at least as the term is generally used.
    though there is no such object measured directly.
    its quantization is often a useful abstraction.

1 person likes this.
  17. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

The second law of thermodynamics has been documented as being violated the smaller the scale becomes. In other words, time runs backwards and Humpty Dumpty puts himself back together again which is known as "syntropy" which is the opposite of entropy. Likewise, quanta express particle-wave duality and quantifying a wave is a contradiction in terms. What is obviously required is a systems logic that can express everything qualitatively as well as quantitatively in terms of both differentials and integrals.

18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Time is getting away from me and I have to much to do in just 4.5 days.....I hope I can get my ass in gear here and pronto.....Time waits for no one.

1 person likes this.
  19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

entropy's arrow is generally real, but the quantification of it is almost totally arbitrary. we've simply taken the rotation of one planet in one solar system, the one we happen to live on, and arbitrarily divided it into a number of uniformly sized chunks. other then the rotation of our own planet, this has no actual direct relation to anything and is purely and entirely arbitrary. at the scale we can see with our own eyes however, entropy is not difficult to observe. the existence of some equal but opposite phenomena to entropy would seem implied by the existence of anything. i'm not aware of it having been proven to exist, but i'd not be too surprised if it has, as i haven't really been able to keep up with such developments for a number of years.

as for the deceptions of perception, these are of course also real, but pertain to another topic entirely.