What Is The Most Recent Song You Learned To Play? What's Next?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Wizardofodd, Aug 24, 2014.

1. notrick

notrick Members

the Neve rocks, but now days you can anything you can imagin from software plug ins. If the PC can keep up--anythings possable!

1 person likes this.
  2. notrick

notrick Members

I like pretty much you guys posted yesterday. I always like JC, Terra, briezie, wizzfold and a lot of others post even if I get to busy to mention it--where was I yesterday??? OH yeah had my head burried in an Avid Artist series Mix control surface. Highly recomended if you get stuck doin your own edit, mix--takes the mouse and keyboard out of the entire process. It's like an 8 track chunk of the S6 or S3. Motorized 100mm sliders, custumizable everything. Encoders, rewire--so you can use just about any hardware without cutting your throat from frustration.

That was nice but...hey JC you ever take apart appegios and put them back together as chords--like a D in C form but play the bass chord A,D, F#,(which is an inside out Dmaj) then you can slide down to E or A 12th fret, or 10,000 other ways--makes nice intro if your writing. I always start practice with appegios because they'er the hardest for me to play--I can play em fast and I can play em good but I can come off the line and play fast and good :)

By the way Dave Mathews played here on Kauaii last month at the community college__need I say more?

ALOHA ALL

1 person likes this.
  3. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Actually I do quite a bit of that. Like I'll start off playing a Bmaj7 against a Bmaj (B, D#, F#) triad in root position. Then the next day I'll try it against a first inversion (D#, F#, B) triad a little faster. The next day I'll do it a little faster against a second inversion triad (F#, B, D#). Then I'll Move the triad up and play the Bmaj7 arpeggio against a C#minor triad in each inversion. I'll keep that going against each triad until I have done them all in the key of B then since B is the IV chord in F# I'll do the same thing against all of the triads in F# .

My plan is once I get through all of the root position Major 7th chords in all keys in root position to move one inversion at a time. Once I get done with that start to connect them using the closest chord tones and trying those against different triads. For example if we are working in the key of C The I chord is CMaj7 (C,E,G,B) and the IV chord is FMaj7 (F,A,C,E). So starting with a Root Position CMajor7 (C,E,G,B) to a Second Inversion FMajor7(C,E,F,A) so the whole sequence would be C,E,G,B,C,E,F,A. Technically you could keep going through just every time you go to the next arpeggio you just go to the nearest chord tone.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  4. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

Last: Gregory Alan Isakov - If I go I'm going
    Next: Taj Mahal - Fishin' Blues

1 person likes this.
  5. notrick

notrick Members

I been trying to learn to play bass like piano. John Paul Jones did that and it gave Zepplin that uniqe sound [out side of J.P. of course. It's bringing out some very cool sounds.
    OH I got it right 5th fret 'A' 5th 'a'string 'D' then 4th fret 'd' string is 'F#' plays like an easy chord Dmaj
    Then 7th 'B' 7th [a string] 'E' and backk to 6th fret ['d' string] G or you can play from the 4th to the A on 7th like triad drom root.
    or 'D' on 5th then f# to A on fith--which is just the last 3 notes of arpeggio=Dmaj or
    ​got really freaky 5th 1st string A --2ond F# up to 5th ['d' string]+'D' there's a 1000 ways to play triads, or triad chords.
    Reverse that last and play 'D' on 5th to 'A' on g-str 2ond fret and F# on e or [d string 4th

damn I'm tired--been at virtual gigs in SC got a week ;)

6. notrick

notrick Members

Been learning to bass like piano--John Paul Jones style.

7. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

I just put this tune on my jamman for the red necks....they love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWb_QxYDM0

My jamman holds 199 songs with unlimited tracks on each song.....I put the drums, bass, keys, pedal steel, mandolin, and harmonica on the tune and then play the guitar and sing, takes about four hours to put everything on a song....makes me a one man band, and I don't have problems with other players not showing up, or not liking to play this or that. Here's an example....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4JSkgkViIs

1 person likes this.
  8. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Just learned THE STABLE SONG by Gregory Allen Isakov.....but I get choked up when I try to sing it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaX0wjoImH8

1 person likes this.
  9. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Played it last night at the open mic....Isakov made a lot more fans. Now I'm learning....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-hd4DuZO68

1 person likes this.
  10. notrick

notrick Members

I started playing triads on bass--I mean thats all I could play--then started with Modes which is very akward on a 4 string at first :D Now days I just play it on keyboard, write out notation and change to actual bass--sorta convoluted but It works best for me.

11. notrick

notrick Members

Last night I couldn't sleep so I picked up the acoustic and recorded the rhythm in my head. I played it back in the morning and realized I knew the song. It took a while but eventualy I realized it was Free Bird by Lynard Skynard-a band I never liked and a song I never learned. Odd.

12. notrick

notrick Members

Taj lives 3 blocks away and has about 25 kids here on the island. He used to bring 40+ drums to the park on Sat. night and lead drum circles--but not that random crap the dread hippies in Seattle play--this stuff was rocking!

13. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

Which island are we talking about?
    :)

14. notrick

notrick Members

Taj has lived here long before I built a tree house 1 month before Iniki trashed Kauaii. 3 to6 mo without electric, water, or phone or cable---my life didn't change at all. 7 of taj's kids lived with their mums on the hill. This island has no shortage of professional-pre Wood Stock or even Acid test--that would be Bill Krreitzman--those are just the drummers.

15. notrick

notrick Members

Shot first video out on the Na Pali coast 2 weeks ago. Bonnie Raitt played and unreal acoustic lead.

16. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I recorded a handful of original tracks with a buddy a few days ago. So good that I don't want to post it on SoundCloud. Need to get some money together and patent some of these tunes.

Other than that, I've been learning how to play some Gorillaz tunes. Got 'Kids With Guns' and 'When November Ends?' so far. Lots of odds and ends of other various songs and solos too. :)

I really want to learn some good funk tunes.

17. Terrapin2190

Just learned how to play Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride in under 2 minutes.

Felt it was worth a double post :D

(D D~C~G G
    D D~C G G G) x8

Chorus:
    G G Bb Bb C C
    G G G~F F G G G~F F
    G G G~F F G G G~F F

Chorus Bridge:
    [G G G~F F]
    E E E~D D
    E E E~D D

Jotted it down here so I'll remember it lol, and in case anyone is interested in playing it ;)

All that just from listening to it hours earlier while driving down the highway.

18. Terrapin2190

Again, sorry, sorry, triple post :D

But I learned how to play Freak Power - Moonbeam Woman in a simpler, chord-based rhythm style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujCZq_V1K1c

This song is a blast to play, with the wordplay involved. Especially with the chorus rap and the soulful voice drops, really cool.

C-C-C Bb-Bb-Bb F-F-F C-C-C

Chorus:
    G-G-G Bb-Bb-Bb C-C-C C-C-C

The part w/ G might not be right, but it's close.

19. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Edit....I guess I already posted about this other guy in this thread. :)

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

http://youtu.be/SuLJbe-cfX4