What is better being homeschooled or public school?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by TokeMEup420, Aug 6, 2005.

1. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

I agree with this but I think the parents need to have a good relationship with the child and not have a desire to control their life by taking them out of school. My experience was bad because my parents were fanatical. Other parents get along well with their kids and actually have a desire to make life better for them.

I still stress the idea that young persons should have adequate interaction with other young people because they need the practice if they expect to have normal relationships in their adult life.

2. Valdis

Valdis Member

Yeah, blaming your parents is an easy way to go. People blame parents for nearly everything. My mom blames her for NOT raising her with religion. She claims she wouldn't have been depressed all these years if she'd had that ingrained.

3. Meggles

Meggles Member

I heard that homeschooled kids, forgive me if you are homescholed, aren't as socially developed as public schooled children because they meet less people, and don't get the chance to meet new people like you get in public or private school.

4. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

That was my point. But apparently not all home-schooled kids are that way. Only the ones whose parents didn't give a damn.

5. Valdis

Valdis Member

That's a common misconception.

In fact, if done correctly, home schooled kids see more socialization with wider demographics of ages, races and economic realities and under more favorable circumstances than public school "socialization."

In schools, PE is usually done away with by third grade now. Kids are constantly told they can't talk and are yelled at even at lunch or while waiting to be picked up. That's not exactly great for socialization. Even more difficult is that kids are taught that anyone younger or older than them is not okay for them to hang out and to be super competitive against others rather that cooperative with others.

6. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

It does happen though.

7. callalily

callalily Member

my opinion is that most public schools are complete bullshit (and maybe that readies you for the future, the "real" world, maybe not), private schools are just preppy, clique-y public schools with tuition and unless you find an alternative school, home schooling is the best choice out of the three.

my personal choice is unschooling, but that's just me.
    calla.

8. ameliorateLJ

ameliorateLJ Member

Oh how it pains me to see the ignorance on this thread :/
    I am seventeen years old and I've adored home-schooling. I've attempted all sorts of schooling, a private academy, curriculum led home-schooling and public school. I think it depends mostly upon the child and their motivation-but I am a strong advocate for alternative schooling.
    I've always been incredibly self-motivated and public school left me stuck and frustrated. Everything moved too slowly for my liking and I hated the busy work. I agree that you must "learn how to play the game" by doing this busy work and being with less than enjoyable people, but it doesn't take long to learn.
    Public school is not the real world-I find that is the most common misconception among people who are against home-schooling. You are confined inside a building 7-8 hours a day doing busy work that may or may not help you learn anything at all. You do NOT learn social skills by being around a bunch of jello-eating sheep that are only your own age.
    I've had the opportunity to meet and befriend people of all ages and from all over the world-I'm certainly not anti-social or otherwise "weird".My education has been mostly self-led, my parents interfere only when I ask them to. I learn what I want, when I want, how I want-and that has worked well for me. I've studied the basics a bit, but the beauty of my schooling is that it allowed me to go in depth with things I really wanted to, such as my field of study now, Anthropology.
    I have a beautiful education and so many wonderful experiences I'm sure lots of kids in public school don't have time to experience while sitting in stuffy classrooms reading textbooks and copying definitions. That works well for some people, but I wouldn't trade my schooling for the world!
    There is also a high demand for home-schoolers in swell paying jobs because they have much more flexible schedules.
    I am also not hurting for college acceptances-I've been accepted to every school I've applied to and been offered many a scholarship.
    My, that was lengthy! Apologies!

9. Valdis

Valdis Member

That's great to hear. Lovely picture too. My only problem with what you wrote is the spacing of it. Things like that really bug me.

10. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

There's no reason to act like you're better than others just because you got the best chances in home-schooling!
    Thank you for calling me ignorant. [​IMG]
    I was homeschooled too, and just because your experience was beautiful and everything, doesn't mean the rest of us who had it bad are "ignorant" or "ungrateful". [​IMG]

11. ameliorateLJ

ameliorateLJ Member

Oh dear, I really wasn't referring to you or meaning to be rude in any way, please don't take it like that. :( You've explained yourself carefully, sincerely and clearly-I was referring to the people who say things more along the lines of "liek home-schooling is so bad public school made me read good and i talk to people and home-schoolers dont"
    Also, I didn't mean to come off as better-than-thou, perhaps I got a bit too heated in the discussion. I'll rephrase. I'm REALLY fortunate, and so blessed to have had the opportunities I have had. I feel like a lot of kids are sort of thrown into public schools regardless of whether it suits their learning styles or not. Public school IS the choice for a lot of kids, and for a lot of kids, public school works.We wouldn't have it if it didn't. For other kids,it doesn't work as well. It didn't for me, and I believe their should be other options like home-schooling for kids who learn differently. I don't believe one size fits all when it comes to education. We all do it a little bit differently, and that's ok! I'm just so happy that I've found what works for me, and I wish everyone could find that inner peace with learning! Cool? I'm sorry if I came off as arrogant or rude, it was not my intention! :)

12. ameliorateLJ

ameliorateLJ Member

Haha, I hear that it is indeed awkward. I am trying to correct it. ;)

13. majikstranger

majikstranger Member

it also depends on what school you go to. I went to a public and a private school. Both sucked ass, but being poor doesnt leave you with many choices does it. Some just dont know how lucky they are

14. bluesafire

bluesafire Senior Member

I'm homeschooling my 8 yr old now. We pulled her out of public school last October when we found out her teacher was getting violent in class (knocking over a desk in front of a kid, yelling at the kids, intimidating them, not letting them go to the bathroom, etc.). The principal tried to minimize it and justify it and basically cover for the teacher, who we discovered has had a temper problem for years and had been allowed to remain in the school anyway.
    So I quit my job and began homeschooling her. Then in April we moved to a new area and thought we'd try the school here, which by the way was rated pretty high on the scale of best schools in the U.S. (yeah right). However after a few weeks it became apparent that in the 6 months or so that my daughter had been homeschooled she surpassed her grade level to the point that she HATED being there because it was so boring. In fact, she was way ahead in every subject.
    I tried talking to her teacher about it and asked if she could give her more challenging work but was met with cold disregard and some lame excuse that she can't alter her curriculum. Also we found out the school won't let her skip grades either. So basically our choice was to conform to a completely inadequate system or homeschool. We chose the latter. At this point, I doubt we'll ever try public school again. But... I do like to look at every situation as being unique, so if we ever move to an area that has a truly good public school, I'd consider it.
    As far as private schools, I guess that depends on the school too. Also, they tend to be pretty expensive.

15. Geechee

Geechee Member

I pretty much said fuck public school at 9th grade. Since then I've read nearly everybook under the sun. Public schools focus too much on repetition and memorization instead of actually grasping and understanding what is being taught at the time.

One famous auto-didact, Albert Einstein , had his own thoughts about public schools:

" Education is what's left after you forget what you learned in school "

" Any fool can know. The point is to understand "

and Frank Zappa offers up this gem :

" I never let school interfere with my education "

16. abbaduh

abbaduh Guest

I've been homeschooled for about 9 years and i like it alot i was homeschooled because i was having far too many problems in school and once i was homeschooled i learned so many things that i thought i would never learn in public school.But now that i am in 12th grade i have been having this feeling that i'm missing out and as much as my mom tells me you don't wanna go to public to get girls hating you and to do drugs etc,i always wanted a real gratuate but now that im in my last year i guess i'll have to live with the what if.And also when i hear my friends say well i got to go to sleep now i got school and there like you're so lucky your homeschooled you don't have to do anything it gets me mad that kids think being homeschooled is like a easy way out when its not.

17. Valdis

Valdis Member

There is a "what if" about anything you do or don't do in life.

As someone who public schooled. I can tell you the way the media shows high school is NOT accurate. For most people there are no well defined clicks and perfect prom.

However you can still have a homeschooling prom. Many areas have one.

You can still join clubs (my favorite part) you'll just have to look harder for them or form them yourself.

You are far better off in any case.

18. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Home is better. Period.

19. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Those are some cool quotes.

20. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

There seems to be a common misinterpretation among the pro public school crowd that public schools somehow encourage socialization. I was going to make some points on that subject but your post covered everything I wanted to say very well.

Well stated.