What is better being homeschooled or public school?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by TokeMEup420, Aug 6, 2005.

1. potlover585

potlover585 Member

don't homeschool your kids if you live in the inner city or anywhere with alot of guns, drugs, and violence because they will be so schocked when they move out. Homeschool if you live in a safe, nice suburb where everyone knows everyone or like the country or something. and if your kids start to get anti-social or just don't have alot or any friends throw them into a public school becuase you don't wanna be 75 years old and have your son living in your basement playing with action figures and basball cards all day. lol.

2. Valdis

Valdis Member

Right, after all where are they going to find their pot connection if they don't go to public school?

*rolls eyes*

3. Nal3ncer

Nal3ncer Banned

I can't even begin to describe what a moron you are. You're saying that if someone grows up around guns, drugs and violence they won't be ever be exposed to it except in school?

You've clearly been conditioned to love public school. But just because someone doesn't go to school does mean they're going to end up an antisocial man-child. People like you depend on the government for everything. They're not there to protect you, they're there to keep you in line. But you see government as a guardian, just as you were taught to... where?

Public school.

And your kids will probably end up the same, unless they happen to be smart enough to realize what's going on. But they won't have any help from you, I'm sure.

4. Traceroni.

Traceroni. Senior Member

Well my mom homeschooled me for a few years and moved me into public school and I thank her for that, I have a very close relationship with her, i learned a lot of things i wouldn't in school but as i grew she decided it'd be better to also get a taste of school, i'm probably going to do the same with my child.

5. Valdis

Valdis Member

I did it the other way. I waiting until my kids were miserable and asked me to home school. Why? Mostly because it never occurred to me to home school and I was very invested in them having a "normal" childhood. They rejected that. LOL.

6. oO Forlorn Oo

oO Forlorn Oo Member

i think a child would benefit more from going to public/private school because of the professional teachers and being more social with the interactions of other kids

7. nextGENERATIONhippie

nextGENERATIONhippie Member

Personally i think public school is better, children need to be taught social skills, and well as academics

8. Valdis

Valdis Member

It depends on the child, the school(s) and the parents.

The whole "social issue" is a non issue in our case. My kids are very social. They were when they went to public school and they are now that they don't.

9. uzume

uzume Member

My oldest went to public school for a few years. My youngest has never been to school.

I'll give you two guesses which one is more sociable....

Yep, the younger one. He's 12 and a freakin' social butterfly. My 15yo is sociable but needs/wants far less of it than his brother.

Anyway, whatever works for your kids is what's best.

I do, however, luuuuurve this essay....

The Six Lesson Schoolteacher

....and this fable....

The Animal School

10. uzume

uzume Member

Please explain to me which social skills, apparently learned only in an institution, you would like my children to be learning?

Let's see....

My kids socialize with each other, with me and my husband, with our landlady, neighbors, friends, and extended family.

My kids socialize at the many social gatherings we attend through homeschooling support groups.

My kids socialize at the supermarket, the post office, the vet's office, at cooperative learning sites, and the many other places we go.

My kids aren't limited to socializing with 20 other kids their own age. They have friends who are four and friends who are forty.

My kids aren't EVER told, "You're not here to socialize." I heard that a lot when I was in school.

My kids aren't ever made to eat their lunches in silence or be completely quiet while traveling places. The same can't be said for their publicly schooled friends. My 15yo's best friend is not allowed to talk on the school bus.

My kids aren't forced to get naked and shower with strangers. If they encounter a bully of any sort, they have the option of not interacting with that person anymore.

Yeah....I could go on and on. Basically, my kids are treated the way I'd like to be treated. They're treated as people.

I've seen the sort of "socializing" which goes on in public schools. I attended public schools, myself. I think it's sad that that is what's considered normal. I think we'll continue to live our abnormal, outside-the-box lifestyle. Funny how people always tell me how mature and pleasant my kids are.

11. katyismename

katyismename Member

schools still do that.. ? :S

i'm not sure which is the best way of schooling, probably a mixture of all of them!
    personally i hated high school. i'm not sure about america, but in the uk you start high school when you're 11 years old. i was still a kid at heart then, i didn't care about what i wore, celebrities, or being cool i just wanted to have fun! i generally thought that all people were nice. the other kids didn't like me and picked on me, i didn't really have any proper friends until year 8. school just made me insecure and ashamed of who i was. overall most of my friends from highschool haven't stuck with me. the education at my school was poor; teachers didn't bother turning up and they didn't teach us much. i don't feel tougher, but i guess i got a taste of the "real world" and i learnt that people can be dicks.
    homeschooling sounds good, but it would be hard to stay motivated. private schools probably have a better education and teachers, but some of the kids end up kind of stuck up and snobby...

12. uzume

uzume Member

Motivated to do what? I'm curious to see your response.

13. katyismename

katyismename Member

i meant it would be hard to find the motivation to keep working, i could see myself slacking off if i was at home.

14. Valdis

Valdis Member

That's true. Some are not self motivated. That's when they need to look at their goals and what it will take to get to them.

15. uzume

uzume Member

Well, see....that's the difference between school mentality and homeschool mentality (for many of us, not all of us....there are lots of different types of homeschoolers)....

The "goal" in my home is not to produce more work, get high marks, or "perform." The goal here is to learn. People are born with the drive to learn. I believe that it's the expectations, pushiness, and busywork imposed on children by adults and government which causes them to find "learning" distasteful and boring.

So what I'm saying is that if a kid is given the freedom to learn what, when, where, and how he sees fit, the drive to learn (motivation) shouldn't disappear. It's when we equate "learning" with "dry-curricula*sit-at-a-desk*be-quiet*don't-ask-too-many-questions*move-to-the-next-station-when-the-bell-rings" that it becomes a drag.

16. Valdis

Valdis Member

That's true. However after they've been in the public school system, and then go into home schooling motivation can still be a problem. Also the goals I have for my kids is that they have every possibility I can create before them and the ability to reach out for those options they want in their lives. I also want them to be comfortable in their own skin, making their own decisions and yes, happy.

17. Traceroni.

Traceroni. Senior Member

It can't really be said which is better in my opinion.
    They're both there to help the child learn in the best way suited for them.

I wasn't ready for teachers and stuff so I was home schooled to help me get ready
    sure enough when I felt ready I went, fit in with the kids, got some of the highest marks in class, moved on.

I would have never made it without my mom teaching me for those years, I wasn't ready to learn from a book.

My brother on the other hand, she tried to do the same, he couldn't get how she was teaching, he didn't like it, even with friends and stuff. so he got sent to school by SK and has been doing well.

my point being, both are good, if both the kid and the parent can do it.
    some kids need to be taught a certain way and moved to a more conventional way over time, but still learning the same things. Some kids would never work out in public school.

For my daughter, I'm going to see how she does in Public school.
    I think it'd be too much for both me and Brad to take on parent and teacher. You never know though, by the time shes ready for school, things could change. either way we'll see how things go.

18. Valdis

Valdis Member

See, one thing you can do when you home school is provide materials and methods that work with the child's best learning styles as well as your ability and style of facilitating learning. That, to me is key. There are easily a million ways or more to home school.

19. skk06

skk06 Member

i think it depends upon the student and the person who will be teaching him at school. i have known some students who have thrived in a home school situation. Other childre and teens need more interaction with their peers and might actually do better in public schools. It is my honest belief that when homeschooling parents do have an opportunity to provide their children with a higher quality education.

20. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

My experience was probably not the best, but from my life, I would say that homeschooling is not good.

You have to make sure you know what you're teaching, and that you know how to bring it forth in a way that your child will be open to learning, to grasp and understand it.

My mom was not the best teacher. She kind of gave up in the later years after trying to homeschool 5 children who weren't interested.

I did slack off in the later years and eventually dropped out before getting my GED in '05, but I don't think I would have if I had attended a real school.

My parents pulled my three older siblings out of school when they were around middle school, early high school age. Bad timing, IMO. My younger sister and I never went to school. Bad reasoning too, I think. They had just converted into Baptists and realized that the catholic private school my siblings were attending was teaching both evolution and sex education. They were firmly against evolution, and they felt sex ed was something a parent should teach their child, not schools. If that was the case how come they never talked to my sis and I about sex and we had to learn from our older sibs? Shit, I didn't even know exactly what sex was until I was 15. I knew it meant people sleeping together and touching each other, and making out and shit, but I didn't know what went where.

For the first few years they tried to get us into christian homeschool groups to try to get us into socializing, but then we quit going. I'm not sure why, it might be that they never got along with some of the parents or thought the families were too liberal for us to hang with.

As a result, the only socialization my sister and I got was church. We never got close with any of the children there. Our older sibs had it better because at least they had a taste of the real world before it was taken from them.

Kids need school, I think, because they need to learn what it's like to be with other people day in and day out. I don't think we ever learned, and as a result, it takes a lot of effort for me to talk to people and it's really hard to make friends. I'm not a shy person normally but I find it really hard to get on with new people. I hate it, and I resent my parents everyday for not making more of an effort to help us make friends when we were young. The least they could have done was take us out more, or made sure we had an outlet where we could meet people.

If you're going to homeschool your child, make sure he/she has a normal life in spite of the fact that he/she doesn't go to school and gets adequate time with other children, otherwise that child might be screwed up forever.