What do you think of the US education system?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Fluffernutter, Nov 24, 2012.

1. LadyAvenger

LadyAvenger Member

The curriculum is too rushed. Children who are in 9th grade math are still in 5th grade math. The teachers goal is just to get it done and be over with it. As long as the work is complete, then fine. If the work isn't complete, whatever get it done with and try harder next time.

Rarely are there any systems based on individual learning styles.

Okay, I could complain about everything. Let me just type this out.

1. There should be learning styles for children to choose from.
    2. Pizza is not a vegetable. Soda machines do not belong in schools.
    3. The woman who said that sandwiches were racially offensive.. she is an example of the idiots teaching today.
    4. Children should be able to continue at the grade level that they are in until they have actually learned that subject.
    5. There are multitudes of facepalmings going on in my head right now.
    6. Have you not received a text message from your average 13 year old..?

"Hai i just wented to sea how r u doing"

The saddest moment of my life was when my cousin said she was going to England. She asked me how big the ocean was that she'd have to cross over. "Is it like a lake?"

*facepalm*

She was FOURTEEN! FOURTEENNNN!

-I used to tutor children with ADD/ADHD/Asperger's Syndrome

2. zenloki

zenloki Member

From top to bottom the US education system has failed. I am a product of it and for two years a part of it. After that two years knew I could not be. There are good teachers that care about their students but in that environment, they can't be effective. To fix it you've got to feed the kids a nutritious lunch and in two years I never saw a single one. The curriculum has to go back to the basics including reading, writing, civics, logic and for once teach young people how to solve problems, something more than just math. Thats a key skill for anyone in the world and we don't teach it. I've never understood this. I never felt appreciated as a teacher whether in or out of the classroom. I coached track and that was different, especially since we took our region. I spoke to many teachers that felt the same. It was just too sad to watch this farce go on day after day so I left.

Since the US Dept of Education came to power in 1980, the US has continued to slip further behind other industrialized nations? More proof the federal gov't is impotent.

3. zenloki

zenloki Member

the system you're thinking of is US colleges and universities. the US may still have the world's best system there. graduate schools enroll 15% of their students from overseas so the universities still have standing in the world.

elementary and secondary schools do not.

in 2009 the US education system ranked 17th overall (out of 40). the rankings are calculated based on various measures, including international test scores, graduation rates between 2006 and 2010, and the prevalence of higher education seekers.

4. Isadoran

Isadoran Member

I think education in the US is way to expensive. It depends on the professors you get what quality your education is. Some professors can be very lazy. As for high school and lower they baby sit and police kids more than they teach these days. I get tired of seeing teachers in the public schools getting away with verbally abusing and humiliating students.

5. howlovely

howlovely Guest

I agree with Isadoran, schools are way to expensive. I'm going to college in about a year, so I've been looking at a lot of colleges, and it seems that unless I go to the state run school right next door I'm going to owe money the rest of my life. It is wrong to make school cost so much. I'm smart, a mostly A student and I've done plenty of extra activities to help me get into college, but most likely I'm going to get not that great scholarships because I'm not a genius and I'm not going to get financial aid because my parents make a lot of money, even though they are not paying for my college. So even if I get a good job it is going to take most of my life to stop owing money. But if you have rich parents you can go anywhere you want, to Harvard if you please free of charge because either you have connections of your parents can pay for the whole deal anyway and when they get out of Harvard they already have a six figure job lined up for them, so they will always stay rich and on top of the dog pile. While everyone else either cannot afford college or will never pay off what they owe for college. Hence the school system is really made to keep the rich on top and still rich and the poor on bottom still poor.

6. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

It's systematically piss poor. It's fashionable to blame teachers for this, but that's bullshit. Teachers' hands are bound, they have piss poor resources, they have to conform to piss poor requirements/standards, they're forced to spend a ridiculous amount of time dealing with student behavioral issues that should be addressed and corrected at home, but which aren't because we are a nation of babies raising babies - parenting skills are dismal in this country, and those who are capable of being decent parents, don't have the time or resources to do so effectively.

It's a matter of priorities and this nations priorities are insane. Russian and European students are 2-4 years ahead of any U.S. student with regard to education level at any given age by secondary school. I'm not exaggerating when I say that when a "senior" level European exchange student comes to the U.S. they are greeted with "freshman" level coursework in our senior high school level classrooms. I shudder to think about how far ahead the Chinese, Korean and Japanese are. In my junior year at college, I came to know a "junior" physics major from China - we were the same age. He advised the tenured head of the physics department (doctorate) on a regular basis (I witnessed it many times) - in fact, I suspect that my Chinese friend was essentially recruited to the school to aid the physics department with research projects.

7. lillallyloukins

lillallyloukins ⓑⓐⓡⓑⓐⓡⓘⓐⓝ

Thankfully, Occupy is getting into schools here in the UK and is doing just that :) I don't know about the USA...

8. Fort20

Fort20 Guest

The masses will never be of equal intelligence at once. Shoving worksheets and expecting a student to do such work when they are being forced to take a class they do not interest nor want to be in. There should be no laws forcing students to attend school. It's either they want to learn or they don't. No child left behind, would probably leave the country behind in debt. Those who have the urge to learn will search for the knowledge they seek and it is as simple as that. Colleges... -_- damn infernal debt and misery causing institutions. To much shit revolves around money instead of what is important like knowledge and understanding. The right to liberty my ass... most people think America is the land of the free, well try living in such country without money then we'll see whether your free or not. Fuck Corporations. The chairs, tables and curtain of illusion need to be taken down so people can see that towering brick wall in front of their faces.

9. Peace&Unity

Peace&Unity Member

USA education system:

produce people smart enough to run the machines,and dumb enough to blindly follow what the government says. Isn't it beautiful

10. Sitka

Sitka viajera

...yeah, it's not like that in China.

11. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Agreed.

What do you think of Montessori schools or Walden schools?

12. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

I lived in China and worked at a UNI for two years, you are talking out of your ass.

I also visited a (now ex) French gf numerous times during our 3.5 year relationship while she was @ UNI. Again, talking out of your ass, as I got to know the French UNI system very well. I imagine the French to be at the top in education throughout Europe but what you are speaking could not be further from the truth.

13. Gypsy_Boy

Gypsy_Boy Guest

Honestly, I think it's horrible. Still compared to other countries education systems I'm not sure we can complain. Like anything there is definitely room for improvement. I just wish it would focus more on learning your areas of interest and allowing you as an individual to grow. For one, I think kids would pay a lot more attention in school and cause less problems. Plus, how many students graduate and have no clue what they want to do with there life? If they were allowed to explore their interests and have a specliazied education in the area they are best at society could really benefit. For example, if a young kid was interested in science and had a specialized education that allowed him to explore it, who knows what he could accomplish. Though there would be several problems with setting up something of that magnitude and also funding it. So it's not exactly practical. Ok...my rants over.

14. Sitka

Sitka viajera

Like a high school that offers, but doesn't require, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Earth Science with AP versions of these classes for high achievers? It seems like what you are suggesting is already done.

15. Zangie

Zangie Guest

See how the U.S snuck in the word "education?" The U.S does not educate, they are conditioning us to be "ill-literate."

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm sure there is some good schools in the US. Maybe just in rich suburbs.

17. Ikibah

Ikibah Guest

I'll answer your question with another.....Why the hell does an engineer student need to slave away in a psych course?

18. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

Take a 5th grade test from 50 years ago and see how many kids in 5th grade would pass it now. Hell im sure 8th graders would have problems with it now. What has changed? Our childrens babysitter is television to start. Secondly they have removed basic but important information from the schooling system to be replaced with mindless dribble. Now they are also pushing less physical exertion because it could be potentially dangerous. So cut out the important general knowledge, take away physical exertion, and add in mindless popularity dribble in the media and what do you have? Givin a couple more generations for affects to really begin and you have the start of ideocracy. Regular public schools are left for the poor poeple and only a few expensive schools pass for real schooling. We pay taxes but it doesnt go to schooling unless they are making the school building bigger.

19. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

I think more parents should home school. I also believe that adults should re-educate themselves.

20. Ikibah

Ikibah Guest

No, homeschool kids end up weird. You need the social experience of school.