What Do You Think Of A New Age Grunge Style Of Music

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by WillieNelson55, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Laynesgurl79

Laynesgurl79 Members

Grunge there is no grunge today. Alice in chains and nirvana!!!!

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Killing Joke almost sued Nirvana since the guitar riff to "Come As You Are," is essentially "Living In The 80s" by Killing Joke slowed down:

Exhibit A:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vabnZ9-ex7o

Exhibit B:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

Cobain himself was concerned about a potential lawsuit. Nirvanas manager claimed they never heard of Killing Joke. Killing Joke in turn produced signed Christmas Card from Kurt Cobain.

C/S,
    Rev J

3. Bud D

Bud D Member

Grunge suited my age and the age of the time. Neither exist any longer and anyone holding on to the past, well, it's just usually not pretty!

4. Peaceful_LotusFlower

Peaceful_LotusFlower Member

I grew up in the 90's and loved the Grunge music. Still to this day I continue to listen to it. Will it come back? Probably so. Lately I've been beginning to see young kids wearing Nirvana shirts, I have no right to judge them but I've seen several stores having some Grunge t-shirts and other type of clothing inside they're stores. This doesn't surprise me in the slightest to be honest.

http://blog.ae.com/2013/09/06/how-to-style-grunge/
    AE article I found on Google.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Nirvana, Pearl jam and Soundgarden shirts will always appeal to a certain crowd. These bands will stay cult. The music and scene however seems a bit... obsolete. I don't see how grunge could make a comeback without being an inspiration to something new at most. There's not much news to expect in grunge on itself without crossing over in a more proper established genre (which then would make it something other than grunge, right?)

6. jfast94

jfast94 Members

I agree. Music always builds upon itself, for better or worse.

7. jfast94

jfast94 Members

Wearing a shirt don't mean shit. I've run into a ton of younger people wearing New Order shirts but have no idea who the band is and can't name one of their songs. Granted I was born after that wave, but I still know who they are. And stores like Urban Outfitters will always go back to the few years and push it as new or trendy.

8. notrick

notrick Members

Indie! is selling on vinyl all over Asia and Polonaise--works for me.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I thought Nirvana sucked IMO.

1 person likes this.
  10. jfast94

jfast94 Members

Kind of was always a pearl jam and sound garden guy. Nevermind was a good album, but nothing else really moved me the same.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Heroin and a shotgun, a hero was made. Maybe I should do that shit so my fam can get paid.

1 person likes this.
  12. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

It didn't work for Mayhem Irm.

C/S,
    Rev J

13. I bet it sucks for everyone who really hates Kurt Cobain that his fans just don't give a shit what you think.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But they do, or else they wouldn't have wasted their time posting that they didn't. ;)

15. Asmodean

I think this is a pathetic outlook. He and his music were appreciated a lot before his death already. Yes, just like with other death muscians he got a lot bigger after that but still.

And hey, I'm not a fan. I just recognize Nirvana is not as shitty as people who simply don't like their music make them out to be.

16. Asmodean

It kind of did, but only among black metal fans. The thing with black metal is nobody else is into it. Totally different with grunge in its heyday and Nirvana.

Although to be fair, it didn't make the dead guy real famous or a hero (more of a cult status). But it didn't hurt Mayhem's succes and popularity in that scene.

Maybe it worked best for Varg, the murderer of that other Mayhem member. Surely he's more famous than those dead Mayhem members :p

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You didn't just get burned by ICP lyrics, did you, Asmo? :D

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't know if it's been done before but I just made up a new name for Kurt Cobain, just to upset some people. Kurt GoBang. :D OHHH pitiful and tasteless, Irm. You nasty Irm you nasty.

19. Yes, because I micromanage my time so much, I couldn't waste the fifteen seconds it took to write that.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's cool bro, nothing is actually a lie, as long as you believe it. ;)