What Do Brits Think Of The British Empire?

Discussion in 'History' started by PinkProlific, Mar 16, 2015.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Sinn Fein might disagree.

2. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

No more or less a terrorist organisation, within the UK, the any other around the world.

Nelson Mandela and Yassah Arafat come to mind.

3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

The British empire was the largest the world has known and covered nearly a Quarter of the earths land mass at its height
    Never happen again will it ?

Not proud of it
    not ashamed of it ! its what happened I learned it at School in History lessons

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

In my youth I was brought up on the history of great conquests and discoveries, of how Africa and India were helped both in educational and social advances, it was only as I grew up and learned for myself of a much darker side of how expansion was assured.
    Each Nation has in its' past, atrocities not to be proud of - and whether the end result of development of the colonies abroad can be justified is debatable - for in the end it is within these actions that independence has been achieved.
    > It's probably a good idea to get those living in (ex) colonies how they feel about it also - to balance the views here gathered
    My personal view is that any Empire is the same, starts with good intention - on a basis of civilisation and order, - but inevitably ends up as being authoritarian and produce chaos - and Revolution
    - Be it Roman, British and or a.n.other:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QuWX-ISdbU

5. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

My American view is that Britain did not do anything other countries did not do. For a time several European countries had colonies all justified by the idea that they were more civilized and they owed it to lesser people to show them how to live. They also were financially profitable by exploiting the areas. No one alive now was there to make decisions back then. You can not blame them for the past. I don't think the average English person supports what was done back then. All you can do is the make the present better.

BeachBall and magickman like this.
  7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

The values and mood of society changes over time. This is something professional writers always have to keep in mind.
    The building of the British Empire was considered at the time to be a laudable pursuit. There are still many countries that are in the British Commonwealth. A good thing if it brings peace and stability to the world.At the referendum for Australia to go a republic I voted No to both questions.
    Correct me if I am wrong but the British never behaved anything like King Leopold II of Belgium did in the Congo.
    The Butcher of Congo: King Leopold II of Belgium. - Andre C James - Digital Journal