Were the moon landings faked?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by verseau_miracle, Oct 19, 2005.

1. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

2. Columbo

Columbo Senior Member

Even though I believe the moonlandings were real
    I cannot understand two things that are unexplained
    A few months ago I saw a nasa guy explain that
    the radiation coming from the sun is so great that anyone
    on their way to the moon would have about three days
    before they died of exposure in one of those space capsules
    so how could they have overcome this?
    Also why would someone from nasa who took part in the groundcrew
    say these things now? (unless to make some cash of course)
    but I want to know if what he said is true
    also

3. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

4. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Much of the Apollo hoax movement stems from a small handfull of people. If you look into it, you will find that most in that small group have either a political biff with the federal government or that they have religious issues about the moon missions.

The political ones are basically trying to get even with the government by trying to embarass it by claiming the missions were faked.

The ones who are motivated by religion are upset because Apollo was the first time people left the earth completely. That goes against the grain of people who have fundamental Biblical beliefs that no life is possible outside the earth. I know that may sound silly to some people, but there are fundamentalists who are very frustrated with things that appear to contradict their Biblical interpretations.

There's a similar anti-evolution movement that has most of the same attributes as the Apollo truther movement and stems from a religious frustration. Whether it's Apollo or evolution, both use tactics of citing what they perceive as anomalies and then claiming that something was impossible. The 911 truther movement is another good example. That one stems from a political frustration, as opposed to a religious one.

Other hoax advocates are simply in it for the extra money and fame.

5. SpaceTrippin

SpaceTrippin Banned

Good post shaggie

6. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

The moon landings were a rumor, the scale models and the overlay of astronauts on a blue screen put on top of surveyor footage were well done though;) who posts this stuff?

7. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Most of the people claiming that the moon landings are fake probably believe that professional wrestling ISN'T...:)

8. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

hahaha, funny:)

9. Columbo

Columbo Senior Member

Hey suppose the moon landings were faked, well its a rather trivial question isnt it? I havent read the entire thread but has anyone bothered to ask exactly why it matters whether these moon landings were fake or not?
    Forgive me if I am wrong for saying it and have overlooked anything obvious but anyone who is saying
    "OMFG, THE MOON LANDINGS WERE FAKED"!!!!!!!
    has surely got to be asked the question, "and your point is" ???

10. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I tried to elaborate on that a little by citing some of the political and religious motives people have for making such claims. In that context, it doesn't matter so much whether or not they were faked but rather how the issue becomes a backdrop for someone's political or religious agenda.

11. Columbo

Columbo Senior Member

Oh I see ! That was very well explained and succinct!
    Perhaps there is a way to prove that they did take place?
    Perhaps Nasa could send another mission there using 1960's technology, which seems safer anyway than todays technology. You could send along the leading light of the conspiracy theorists and get them to walk on the moon.

Hmm impractical ! Ok in the light of your answer to my previous post I see there could be real implications.
    One thing is for sure, no-one will solve this by just arguing. The only option is to talk to people who claim they were involved in the landings, or to get the evidence from nasa and devise experiments to prove they were not lying.
    Any proof tha they were lying can not come from merely saying "oh yes but that can be explained like this" Surely the proof must be something like ... I dont know, a lunar lander in the basement of some long forgotten film studio. The notes of the director who shot the footage.

My opinion is that usually a conspiratorial group is too large if more than
    20 or so people know of its existence. In this case to fake the moonlandings would have necessitated hundreds of people
    secrecy is always conducted on a "need to know" basis and in this instance - you would have too many people knowing

12. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

anyone ever see that WWII plane picture on the moon?

13. Columbo

Columbo Senior Member

Yeah me and my friend made that using a Kodak photographic projector, my dads finest surgical scalpel, and two photos, plus several filters

14. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

About 5% of the workforce was involved in Apollo in some way or another. So they are all lying and were supposed to believe that a handful of conspiracy enthusiasts aren't lying even through most or all of their claims are based on stilted reasoning. :)

15. Columbo

Columbo Senior Member

wow 5% of the workforce - thats a helluva lot thats
    how many is that in actual numbers - a million - 2 million ???
    Thats what I meant in an earlier post - too many people were involved for it to be fake
    20 people is too many for a conspiracy let alone a hundred or a million

There would be aerospace factories etc with design plans -
    the reason the government is keeping quiet is obviously that they are stunned anybody would ask if it was fake!

16. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

2 people can keep a secret...if one of them is dead

17. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

PS

Occam watched 'SOMETHING' orbiting the moon in 1969 with a 10inch reflector.
    He was 10 years old and using his uncles scope.
    The only thing supposed to be there was apollo 11.

Guess it was a fake..maybe jeff goldblum and will smith waiting for a mothership
    to dock with...
    How stupid can humans get?
    U know why nasa has no reply to this rubbish....they cant stop laughing
    long enough to write one

Occam

18. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Actually, NASA had a reply to it. They published a pamphlet helping teachers refute all of the conspiracy claims because the teachers were asking NASA so many questions about it. Then NASA got burned by the press and other groups for spending tax payer money on refuting conspiracies. :)

19. mazza558

mazza558 Member

I don't think so. There would be absolutely no point.

20. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

naysayers had to try really hard to even come up with any plausible evidence of a hoax.
    NASA, Discovery Channel and Fox barely had to sneeze to refute them plausibly.

It all boils down to which do you choose to believe.
    try and remember there are people in space right now. Hell there was just a millionaire with money to waste uo there. But yeah NASA faked the moon landings.[​IMG]