Welfare Dependency

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well, if its about money or a profit based system i would still disagree with this statement:

But not entirely disagree with the initial thought! Just thoroughly with your conclusion. But alas... for a different thread it is!

stormountainman likes this.
  2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Twice, I've used food stamps for a few months.

Once when my husband left me and I had no child support. My salary wasn't enough.

The other time was between my current husbands unemployment and his disability when we had zero income.

I was grateful for it in those emergencies.

3. Aerianne

If you are in the U.S., what is your states' requirement to receive food stamps.

Georgia is already requiring work.

The program requires able bodied adults without dependents to work 80 hours a month or to be in a workfare program in order to qualify. Candidates must not take home more than $1,005 per month in net income.

Read more: Increased work requirements for food stamps affecting several Georgia residents

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My state disqualifies felons
    But other than that there's no requirement other than income

For a household of 4 its about $31k a year

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

After WWII the military informed the government that the recruits they had to choose from knew nothing about how to eat a healthy diet, were not paid enough to eat a healthy diet, and suffered from easily preventable diseases. That was the origin of what became Food Stamps and the sad truth is that today less than a handful of states actually pay more in taxes than the subsidies they receive. The idea they care about anything other than the money is a joke in bad taste, which is why it required the military to intervene and point out they were self-defeating. If the federal government did not spread the money around, there would be no federal government, or rather, it would be taken over by some other country.

Now our states are starting to differ wildly in how wealthy they are making moving from one state to another often like moving to another country altogether. United we stand, divided we fall.

GeorgeJetStoned and BeatinFeet69 like this.
  6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds reasonable anyone on welfare should be encouraged to work. Trump isn’t the first president to make these proposals but it does indicate to you where his attention is focused.

btw in just a matter of a few hours, we just spent 120 million dollars to send a message to Syria not including the Air Force B-1B Lancers at a cost of $70,000 dollars per flight hours.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Just as likely to encourage people to breed - takes one out of the healthy,childless category

NotMyRealName and Aerianne like this.
  8. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

For the
    President Trump hasn't paid income taxes since 1975 or thereabout. If he and his rich friends start paying their fair share much of our social quandary would be resolved.

Jaene Hoku likes this.
  9. Aerianne

This is a list of the top 10 states with the highest expenditure on welfare.

1. California - $103 Billion

2. New York - $61.4 Billion

3. Texas - $35.4 Billion

4. Florida - $27.2 Billion

5. Pennsylvania - $26.7 Billion

6. Illinois - $21 Billion

7. Ohio - $20 Billion

8. Massachusetts - $18.6 Billion

9. New Jersey - $17.3 Billion

10. Michigan - $16.3 Billion

The top ten states listed above spend more on public welfare ($346.9B) than all of the bottom forty states (plus the District of Columbia) combined ($262.7B).

New York and California rank first and fourth most populous states.

[​IMG]
    Mapping the Most Expensive Welfare States in the Country

10. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Every civilization has had its struggles with greed, power, tyranny, slavery, racism, sexism, and dictatorships. And it will always be that way, unfortunately. That's humankind, and that's a heart condition, not necessarily a financial or political one, in my opinion.

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

sae68, scratcho, BeatinFeet69 and 3 others like this.
  12. Aerianne

Don't derail the original topic of the thread.

13. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

You're right it is a matter of heart Deidre. However is the way we choose to organise our civilizations not an outward manifestation of our hearts? We choose to seat some in positions of power while propping them up on the backs of others. We choose to endorse a system which basically takes care of the needs of the few at the expense of the many. We hold firmly to the belief, whether we acknowledge it or not, that mankind is inherently sinful and that nothing can be done to elevate ourselves beyond our petty desires. These facts must change if we as a species are to grow and achieve a truly civilized society. K mini rant complete.
    Edit: Apologies Aeri I couldn't help myself. Won't happen again

14. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

It's weird you say this, I was just thinking the other day, that society seems like it's made up of the 'haves' and 'have nots,' but it's deeper than that. I think welfare can be a beneficial thing for many individuals/families in dire straits, but it shouldn't be a person's forever crutch, if they're otherwise healthy and able to work but seek not to. That just hurts society, in a broader sense. It actually hurts the person, as well, in the longer run.

Fred64 and Jaene Hoku like this.
  15. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Several factors are at play here. Over the last 2 decades the US has shipped 40,000+ factories out of the country. Why? Because the corporate owners prefer to pay $1 a day instead of $10 an hour. Unfortunately the pace of automation is accelerating much faster than ever imagined, so the very idea we can "bring those jobs back" - DJ Trump, is ludicrous on its face. I can't get over how many people seem to think he can make it happen.

If by some weird miracle he did make it happen, an idler arm for a pickup truck would cost 600% more than it does today. This is why his steel tariffs are causing weird ripples in the economy, he doesn't understand the way cascading dependencies work.

As for welfare, it will be renamed. It has to be. Because in 2 more decades 60% of the US population will be on it. The work requirement will be around 12 hours per month and public housing construction will skyrocket (though the construction workers will be fewer than in generations past). What I don't get is how the wealthy can continue to hoard resources knowing it will lead to an economic crash that dooms us all.

As I have said many times before folks, learn how to make wine, liquor, candles and most importantly; soap!

pattymary and scratcho like this.
  16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

really? so if you've made a mistake and done your time, you obviously still can't get a job since no one will hire a felon, and you also can't get help getting an occasional meal? might as well just shoot all felons immediately after conviction. all they're doing now is encouraging them to be repeat offenders; how else are they supposed to eat other than robbing somebody?

it does sound reasonable. have you ever had a welfare employee though? it's one of those good ideas that doesn't really work as intended; it just means that people nice enough to take on these "workers" now have a babysitting assignment on top of their regular work duties.

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  17. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I don't understand why so many people are upset with the idea of taking a drug test to qualify for food stamps or not.

If you can afford drugs, you can afford food.

It's as simple as that.

NotMyRealName likes this.
  18. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Drugs have become the pinnacle of escapism in society. Many people who are on welfare or are eligible for it really don't have lives they want to deal with.

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

So you believe work should be a baby-free zone devoid of screaming, crying kids, and smelly diapers.

Then again most work place studies which have concluded that happy employees are much more productive than unhappy ones. In addition cute kids can humanize the work place and relieve stress of both the employee and his or her coworkers by humanizing the work environment

20. Aerianne

I don't think he meant actual babies.