Ways To Deal With Cold Ground When Camping

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by ezm8, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, that can work. Dig a small trench, have the fire in it. Get a nice set of coals building up, and when you go to bed, cover the coals with rocks and then dirt and set your tent over that.

We did that for our camp once 20 years back, but then again, conditions were different. We had a lot of firewood. We also had a backhoe. The tent was pretty good sized, but no floor. So we lifted it and put if over where we had the trench before, and it kept us warm for sometime.

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

...wouldn't help if you checked into winter though

3. bunnygirl

bunnygirl available in taiwan

thick sleeping bag and cuddle with significant other. body heat feels great.

ezm8 and Scratched like this.
  4. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

Wow, I thought it was generally known how to sleep nice and warm when the ground is frozen. Guess not. Here's the trick that will keep you warm and toasty. Get a piece of Reflectix to place under your bed. This looks like bubble wrap with a shiny silver surface (Mylar). It can be bought cheap at most big box stores in rolls 24 inches or 48 inches wide. A piece 24 inches wide is just right for under your sleeping pad. When you lay a pad and sleeping bag over the Refletix and lay on it, in less than 2 minutes you will feel warming on the bottom side. Never suffer from sleeping on cold ground again! The bubble wrap even helps make your bed softer.

ezm8 likes this.
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Unless you have all the correct gear for arctic conditions, NEVER pitch a tent on frozen ground. It takes 100 calories of heat to boil 1 gram of water and it takes 86 calories to melt one gram of ice and it is still at zero degrees. Therefore frozen ground will continue sucking the heat from your body and never get any warmer. Heaters or any type of fire in a confined space are very dangerous, since as they consume the oxygen around them, instead of producing carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide will be formed. Carbon monoxide is not a poison in the true sense. Due to its molecular structure, your lungs mistake it for oxygen. As it saturates your blood, you will feel warm and sleepy, never to wake up again.

ezm8 likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

In my latest camping adventures, I found the air in the air mattress to get really cold and had to huddle in with the missus and steal.. Or share I guess, each other's heat. We ended up getting a few fleece blankets to sleep on top of.

7. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

I did some camping in sub-zero weather, and used a caribou hide under my sleeping bag. The frozen ground never made me cold through the thick hair of the caribou. I would image any hide that has a heavy fur would work. Maybe a wool fleece would work just as well.

8. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

My dog makes a bed of dry leaves . With a simple structure of sticks or stones to hold the leaves , a human
    may lie down also .

9. Jukai

Jukai Members

As many of the following as possible:

- Thermal underwear: Preferably wool or micro-fleece. This includes a shirt, pants, beanie, gloves and socks, possibly a scarf.
    - A great sleeping bag rated for 20 degrees or lower (they always overestimate their insulation so if they say 20 degrees, it means more like 35 degrees)
    - An insulating layer between you and the ground, like a mat/pad
    - In survival shows, I've heard them talk about heating stones/rocks and laying them next to where they sleep ... but the cold air will probably cool/negate those within minutes

I think the bottom line is just to get as much insulation between you and the ground as possible. Quality of insulation is just as important as quantity.

10. pollyhannahestherbriggs

pollyhannahestherbriggs Members

11. Logan 5

wool blankets work great

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Even during the Summer I recommend a foam camping pad to use under your sleeping bag

newbie-one likes this.
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Generator + heater. :D

14. Logan 5

ultra fat girlfriend. Just go find comfort in one of her rolls....

GLENGLEN likes this.
  15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The problem is getting her up the mountain

GLENGLEN likes this.
  16. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Indeed It Is..... :D

Cheers Glen.

17. Jude96

Jude96 Members

Ahh just asked for similar advice in s new thread a few minutes ago... gunna try this

18. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

pads are important. I would double up on them, at least that's what I do. Usually a thick closed cell foam on the bottom and an air one on top, Thermarest Pro4. They have newer and light models out there, you want R values at least 5. Higher the R the heavier and costlier they get. Thermarest Neo Air and Exped makes good ones.

19. alexsandro

alexsandro Members

I used to take something to cover myself, something big and warm/ Anyway you should check some articles about camping. and get more tips

20. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

Air mattresses allow cold are to get under you. That is not the way to go. A self inflating camping mat with closed cell foam padding is your better bet. It does not allow air under you to wick away your body heat. Provides cushion to sleep on etc. With foam mats you have two basic types. Open cell and Closed cell. A open cell one allows air to flow thru it. Great for summer use but not great for cold weather. A closed cell foam mat does not allow air to flow thru it. Allowing your body heat to not get wicked away. I am assuming that you are using a sleeping bag. I suggest that you use a flannel sheet in the bag also. But fold it so the open side is on the other side of the bag where the zipper is. That will help to stop any body heat from escaping thru the zipper of the bag.
    During cold weather camping use two different knit caps. One for sleeping with, And one for day use. You may not realize it but they get damp from your body. Even in the cold. Having two different hats will allow them to have a chance to dry out. By the same token change your clothes before you get into your sleeping bag at night. Your moisture from the day will only make your clothes draw the coldness in as you sleep. Never sleep with your head in the sleeping bag. If you do you will be soaked by the morning and feel pretty cold. Ever notice the ice on the top of the inside of your tent ? that is from your breath. Just picture that in the sleeping bag with you. ( its like being in your car and all of the windows steam up from your breathing )
    Always use a ground cloth under your tent. But never let it extend past the outside walls of your tent. The ground clothe will stop any moisture from the ground getting into your tent. And if it rains you do not want the ground clothe to direct the water under your tent.. You can also use a extra blanket over the top of your sleeping bag. Wool if you can. You would be surprised how much heat it will catch and hold in. Even with a low temp. rated sleeping bag.