Walmart's Stupid Ass Idea To Charge For Plastic Bags

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by relaxxx, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Where do you even get paper bags big enough for piles of leaves?

Here we can just rake them to the curb in a big pile, we don't have to bag them

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

city doesnt come to pick up leaves here

but the garbage trucks have 2 compartments..one side for compostable and one side for garbage...the recycle truck has a big compartment for normal recyclable stuff and a small compartment for green box food waste

the big paper bags are sold at the stores

[​IMG]

Meliai likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

You have to buy them... One town around here won't pick them up in less bagged in special "leaf" paper bags... I think it's a gimmick just to get people to buy those bags.

Meliai and SpacemanSpiff like this.
  4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

they wont even let us on landfill property if they arent in papaer bags..its ridiculous

i just wanted to dump them into the pile and keep the plastic bags...they wouldnt let me thru last year said i couldnt do it that way

but if i just use black bags and leave it out to the curb on garbage day they dont know its leaves and the garbage guy picks them up and throws it into the garbage side of the truck

Orison likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

The last city I lived in accepted no yard waste at the dump... They would open bags at the curb and if they saw a stick or a few leaves they would just leave the bag there.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

lowes, as far as i know.

i've never heard of a city coming around to pick up leaves. when i worked for the village i grew up in, i used to help the street department collect yard waste every couple weeks. that was basically pruning, weeding, etc. we took it in whatever container it was given. but i don't remember ever doing leaves, so i assume those were not included. around here, you have to take them to the city compost. which is hard, because it's only open a couple hours a week, and only when most people are at work. of course, you can't just burn them anymore either, unless you live outside the city limits. i think realistically, most people just mulch them up with their lawnmowers.

7. Tyrsonswood

One guy loaded leaves into his pickup truck and went for a quick ride around town...

Aerianne likes this.
  8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ can't say i haven't done that with small amounts of leaves myself...

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

went and cleaned my sons room and needed some large bags to take some pretty disgusting laudry away to the laundromat ......went across to the store and 5 massive leaf bags were 2.29 and 10 massive green garbage bags was almost double.....those leaf bags can hold way more weight than a garbage bag too

I bought leaf bags for juniors laundry :)

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

We don't have baggers in the supermarkets here at all!
    We did got the self checkout at some places here, but I still prefer the regular check out.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The world just got blessed with the wisdom of thousands of "experts" from around the world with Warning to Humanity 2.0, the first version was in 1992, a pathetically vague essay intended for the masses along the lines of all this shit is going to get worse if we dont do sumfin. Ending with a way to donate

Here is the 1992 version
    1992 World Scientists' Warning to Humanity

Nonsensical, but it was a reminder to me thats there is just over an extra 2 friggin billion people on the planet since 1992,

5.4 billion in 1992, according to the UN an estimated 7.6 billion as of october 2017, in just over half my life time, faaaaaark!!!

I mean seriously, jeesuz effin kwyst

The car tyre argument is moronic?, is that just because Vanilla Gorilla said it, or is the argument actually invalid. according to wikipedia in 2008, one billion in a single year worldwide.....one billion of the friggin things.....in a single year

This is why humanity is doomed, because the rational is, oh, I drink the water from the 500 plastic bottles of water I buy a year, I dont waste any of it, so all that plastic doesnt count. I love my car and I use / need my car so all the stuff that goes into making it, all the parts of it that will end up in landfill and the oceans dont count as I never wastefully misuse my car

I wont bother working out the equivalence of the hdpe in a cheap plastic garden furniture combo vs how ever many plastic bags, but probably again thousands. Oh, I always make sure I keep reusable shopping bags in my car, but then buy a cheap $50 plastic garden table with four chairs equivalent to 5000 plastic shopping bags, throw the garden setting out two years later cos its cheap shit and didnt last long, but I did use it, didnt actually waste it, sat on it for at least one hour every weekend for two years, so it doesnt really count towards my environmental impact

There arent enough facepalms

12. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It was a great move and after a few weeks nearly everyone accepted it. The number of bags that leave the shops has dropped by more than 70%.
    Now we need some legislation to cut the amount of plastic used in immediate food wrapping. Egg box style cartons and waxed paper could be used and since virgin cardboard from street tree cutting could be used, it would have no environmental impact. When finally incinerated, the heat energy would be halved and no toxic fumes emitted.

Hugs & Spit likes this.
  13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I keep mine in the trunk until I get my groceries. I don't even take them inside the store. I just bag everything myself once I get outside. I don't really know if it's a viable plan for someone who buys lots of groceries, but it works pretty well for me because usually I'm buying several boxes of Cheerios and that's it. Anyway, it's remembering to put them back in the trunk once you've brought in the groceries that's tricky. I've taken to hanging them on the doorknob so I won't forget! :)

ZenKarma likes this.
  14. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Maybe that's what I need to do.

soulcompromise likes this.
  15. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I know reusable shopping bags are like some "feel good" pill about mass consumption, but lets forget about the environment for a moment. Did Walmart executives know that charging for bags was going to discourage purchases and cost them money, but they did it anyway out of genuine environmental concern? Or did Walmart executives try to cash in on environmentalism trends and make extra money off bags while only pretending to care?

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

On a positive note;

Walmart allows the homeless and the indigent with cars to park overnight in their parking lots throughout north America. Even people who travel the country in RVs are allowed to park in their spacious parking lots overnight for free.

See they're not all that bad

17. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Hey, some lucky ones might even get to overnight at a Walmart that doesn't lock their waste bins...

18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I think it was done for their benefit. Millions of those bags add up and they will squeeze every penny they can even though they are so rich it's not necessary. The people who get mad are nothing compared to the people who will deal with it and keep spending. That's what a lot of people don't get it. It does not matter if you don't shop there 2 people have already replaced you. They don't have to listen to you. Walmart is entrenched into American life. In many small towns it is the only option both because it's the only store and the only store you can afford anyway since it's unlikely there are good jobs in the town. Best option might even be working at the Walmart. They don't care about the environment at all. But I am sure they see the benefit of making an environmentalist think they do.

19. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

so now I'm gonna be paying for my small trash bags! lmao

Walmart sucks. Corporate America, give us back the small family owned shops I grew up with...I know, it won't make an organized handful rich, after all that's what the global elite is all about. Fuck off WM :(

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You did it to yourselves though, and you are still doing it

All those other mom and pop stores went broke, because everybody wanted to buy cheap shit, mainly from China

All the jobs went away forcing people to keep buying cheap shit

And who do you think owns most of Walmarts Shares? Its pension funds, not the supposed global elite. The pension funds of those that lived back when there were all those mom and pop stores, no Walmarts....you and other peoples grandparents

You and everyone else just screwed yourself to help 500 million Chinese go from nothing to lower middle / middle class over the last 30 years. And to boost the pension funds of old people all around the world

Its you and your grandparents fault

"That's what a lot of people don't get it"

Deidre likes this.