Veg food on the cheap

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by drumminmama, Jan 25, 2011.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

There is a partially true conception that vegetarian food is expensive.
    I have agreed, back in my Boca burger days.
    Now I say that it depends on ingredients, just like omni food.

My former neighbor lived on Hamburger Helper.
    I knew that egg noodles and a can of soup made more servings for a tad more money, lowering the cost per serving.
    The same is true of vegetarian foods.

Broken down to dried (or canned) beans and lentils compared to frozen meals, on average, food made mostly from scratch is lighter on the wallet.

I recently relocated and donated all my food, many of my spices and the majority of my cookware before traveling halfway across the US.
    My new home had rudimentary kitchen tools.

I've spent perhaps $100 on filling out the tools, but I won't replace the Omega juicer anytime soon. I miss it, but not enough to justify the expense, or counter space.

I did get a large, awkward pantry.

So, I can have pasta, rice and canned beans, along with tomato paste and fire roasted tomatoes, in the pantry at all times.
    Most of my meals are Mediterranian or Mexican in influence, with a swath of Indian.
    I keep garbanzos and a jar of tahini almost exclusively for hummus.
    My luxuries of locale are citrus fruits and avocados. One I love and one I use sparingly. And local olive oil, even though imported can still be cheaper.
    (In Colorado, it was bags of frozen Hatch chilies and seasonal pinon nuts.
    I swear I spent $100, at once, to keep myself and two others in chili and pesto for eight months. I guess Kuenner's canned beans were a luxury of locale. I miss them.)

So, I use a lot of citrus now that was a splash of vinegar before.

But I still make a lot of pasta, whole grain when I can get it on sale and stock up.
    I have learned to make my own fresh pasta.
    I eat a lot of vegetables, season-dependent, and fruits.
    I do eat some cheese and yogurt, and local honey.
    Those are my expensive ingredients, so I am careful with them.

Here is a template for a relatively cheap meal. I cook for two now.

Brown rice- 1 cup (this is actually something I make in bulk and freeze in double portions)
    Beans- (one can or one and a half cups cooked fresh) or lentils
    2T various spices, herbs and salt
    garlic- this is always to taste. Feel free to get powder on sale.
    ginger (fresh root, keep it in the freezer in a glass jar)- to taste
    vinegar- couple splashes
    honey or agave (sugar works, but I can't be trusted around it) maybe 2 or 3 T, more if you make carrots into dessert.
    Margarine or bland oil (canola, safflower, sunflower) 1T, plus a couple for the pan for the veggies
    carrots- about two long carrots each (plus I'll eat one raw as I'm cooking)
    1 bunch greens
    1-3 hot peppers (this again will be to taste)

That is the basis of at least three different meals for two. It's about $6, averaged between Colorado and California, if nothing is on sale or in bulk.

What is your cheap, yummy, go-to meal, at home or away?

Mine are Rainbow Thai (leftover veggies, peanut sauce and rice or pasta)
    Taco Bell bean burritos (guilty pleasure. I've had one since July)
    beans and rice with greens, carrot halwa/pudding (one option from the list above)
    baugette pizza
    spaghetti
    pasta primavera
    spring rolls

Please list yours, and recipe links are encouraged!

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

i voted 'no', but i mostly eat grains, dried legumes, veg and the occasional bit of fruit

i never eat out, not that there's really any place to eat out at where i live

been eating a lot of that dish i posted in one of the other threads - lentils, veg, tahini with rice or pasta

though in the morning i usually do barley flakes with flax and sunflower seeds, raisins, garam masala

might be cooking the odd curry later in the week - bought an onion today on a wild shopping spree . . .

3. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

Pasta with a jar of mushrooms and some Prego sauce, with whatever green things are in the freezer. I barely have time to eat, let alone cook.

4. Frogfoot

Frogfoot Member

Voted 'No' and didn't bother with the "if you're careful" part. It's only expensive for those who don't bother to learn to cook.

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I find it to be cheaper, on the whole. Poor people can't afford meat. Meat has been a special privilege through history. So, as vegetarians, we are largely eating peasant food...rice, beans...things that grow from the ground...

All of the brand name crap and fake meat is quite pricey though.

dogsy64 likes this.
  6. freedomfan

freedomfan Guest

I've never been to a vegetarian or vegan restaurant(there's none where I live) so I don't know about their average prices. Prepackaged vegan foods can be a bit expensive from my experience. Since I'm more of a salad and fruit kinda guy my costs aren't too bad.

7. wa bluska wica

read an interesting article on this yesterday, somewhere online [sorry]

somewhere in there he blasted oprah for recommending that people go vegan by swapping their meat weenies for soy weenies [massive paraphrase]

i heartily agree

simple whole ingredients are still the cheapest things to buy in the market

8. drumminmama

^ I would also agree with that.
    I don't remember what a half-gallon of cow milk costs, but I pay about $3 for almond milk, which is the most expensive thing I buy.
    Mostly, I have cheap basics and splurge on condiments.

9. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

it isn't expensive if you get your food from a regular grocery store instead of an organic one :p

10. wa bluska wica

funny, dreadful, the crappy old dried beans in the supermarket are $2.49 a pound, but the fresh organic dried beans in the food co-op are $1.50

and since they're fresh they cook in less time, saving me electricity $ to boot . . .

:p:p

11. OhSoDreadful

My post was more referring to money grubbing places like whole foods and trader joes lol

12. drumminmama

I find Safeway and Lucky's expensive.
    I have had luck at Berkeley Bowl, produce at Farmer (not Trader) Joes,
    and if I'm veeeeery careful at Food Mill.
    For dish and laundry soap, I order that online with free shipping.

I just paid my CSA, Full Belly Farm, and it was a smidge over $200 for now (Mid February) until August, with boxes evey other week.
    That's $16.50 for a heavy box of LOCAL mostly organically-raised produce picked the day before, compared to $35 in Colorado (or Farm Fresh To You). And it is delivered very close by, walking distance.

13. OhSoDreadful

winco is cheap - but you have to deal with their expiration dates being closer than normal

Foodmax is pretty good, and there's free samples. There was a girl in a bikini giving out samples of alcoholic mixed drinks once and she wasn't even IDing

14. wa bluska wica

i'll be happy once the farmer's market opens - in june

until then i slide down the alleys trying to stay vertical until i get to the reynolds [locally-owned grocers]

$1.99 a pound for broccoli, ugh, it's carrots again . . .

15. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

I cook all of my own meals and live alone. I dont have much variety like I did when I had more money, but now out of necessity I only spend 100 bucks on food a month. I RARELY by any pre-made food, although sometimes I do buy a few of the Amy's burritos. I mostly eat beans, rice, oatmeal, and potatoes. I am definately lacking in fruits and vegetables, but beggars cant be choosers. If I could come up with 100 EXTRA dollars for food a month I could have just about anything in abundance.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't know how widespead Grocery Outlet is,but they have very good bargains. I think most items they get are 1/3 to 1/2 off compared to the other stores. I just got 2 half gallons of vanilla soy milk for 1.99 a half.

17. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

there's a lot to be said for Mexican food.. A can of beans and lettuce, tomato, onion, etc. It's how I managed to stay alive through the slow season at work when I wasn't getting any hours.

18. loncho

loncho Member

What works for me is cooking all my meals. That way i know what i'm eating and is also cheaper.

I mostly eat lots of legumes cooked in different ways, but specially indian/pakistani style (i love currys!), also just cook them in less elaborate ways with different ingredients just so I don't get tired of the same flavours. Also cook stir fries, frittatas, rice, make my own granola, etc.

But what helps me the most when it comes to saving money is planting my own vegetables in the spring summer (I live in Canada, so I have to make those few good months count!!). Those are the months when I eat the widest variety of fresh veggies. Of course plants produce more than what I'll be able to eat, so I give away some of it and freeze some to use in stews in the winter, make salsa with tomatoes, can a lot of stuff to use later, etc.

If you have any space to plant something, go ahead!! It's a great learning and rewarding experience, and saves you money :)

1 person likes this.
  19. drumminmama

Necrothreading this because of a new poster "like."

It's interesting to read what I was using in 2011. I quit the margarine about a year later.

My juicer returned to me. The person I'd given it to emailed and asked if I wanted it back. I was looking at smaller juicers and drooling over vitamix at the time, so I said yes, please.

I've gone with Imperfect Produce, a mix of conventional and organic, but all likely to be wasted fruits and vegetables. It reduces food waste, tends to be just funny shapes or weird sizes, and not appealing at the market. It's also less expensive that any of the CSA or cooperative farm boxes.

I fill in from the local produce markets, usually Chinese or Cental American owned.

I keep fruit in the freezer, as smoothies tend to be my dinner these days.

Feeding two, one omni, one veg, is about $200/mo. to keep the pantry and freezer stocked (again, one omni, so there is meat there), plus the produce boxes at $16-$18/ wk.
    We tend to have a stray visitor on the weekends, so I'm feeding three or more then.

I'm also eating above beans and rice. Lots of salads, fresh produce. And I have a lot of dried fruit on hand. I think I'm on the high side of cost.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

When I tried going vegetarian in 2009 or there about, I didn't know the right foods to eat. I ate lots of salty hummus! :) Trader Joe's (here I am assuming everyone knows what Trader Joe's is https://www.traderjoes.com/) can be heck on your salt intake if you're not careful. I didn't feel like I was spending too much money as much as I really didn't know my way around the kitchen with my new vegan cookbook and such. I would try to make something and it would turn out awful.

Now if you're ever in L.A. and want vegan food, Electronic artist Moby has a restaurant there called "Little Pine" that I hear tell is pretty good. http://www.littlepinerestaurant.com/