Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by siri888, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siri888

siri888 Members

To vaccinate or to not vaccinate? What do you guys feel about this. I'm on the edge of my chair, while I think its great to avoid illness, with the often high quantities of mercury and other heavy metals make it worth it? Theres been links from vaccine being connected to autism. But, how many lives have been saved by vaccines? Saved lives make it seem worth it.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

The US actually has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the developed world, yet American infants are given the greatest number of vaccines -- 26 doses of vaccines by the end of the first year alone.

One of the most parroted sound bites among vaccine proponents has to do with "herd immunity," which says that if 95% of the public gets vaccinated against a disease, that disease will be eradicated or controlled. Yet there is almost no proof of vaccines eradicating disease, even when herd immunity vaccination levels are reached -- as can be seen with measles.

My opinion is that parents who choose not to vaccinate are making a smart decision, and often one which is much more well-informed than those who simply swallow the pharmaceutical company/medical establishment lies that vaccines are safe and necessary. And I am not even saying that ALL vaccines are bad or not beneficial. Indeed I think some might be (the tetanus shot, for example). However, I think a lot are not, and the list of vaccines children are required to take keeps growing and growing. Do you really think it's to benefit the children, or is it to increase the profits of the pharmaceutical industry at the expense of the children the vaccines are said to benefit?

3. SnakeOilWilly

SnakeOilWilly Members

The whole autism thing's been debunked. As for other problems with vaccinations I'd say they're pretty minimal. I'd rather have trace amounts of mercury in my system than polio.

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

And how many people do you know of getting polio in 2014?

5. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

With my now 15 year old, I did as the doctor suggested...followed the VAX schedule.

My 8 year old...we didn't. I delayed some. I had concerns, as he was falling on the later end of all developmental milestones.

At the age 18 months or so, I discussed with his led about delaying. She was all for and even said we could split the MMR.

When he turned 2 he had his VAX and two days later he had a high fever, double ear infection...screaming in pain. Could that have been caused by the VAX? Up until that time he had never had an ear infection.

We don't do flu shots and will only do what is required BT law for school/college.

My boys are both fully VAX (for what is required for school...not what the led "suggests").

This topic, to me, is not a blanket answer. Every family has to make the right choice for THEM! I am not going to tell someone the are wrong...personal choice.

Wanted to add...both my boys are intelligent. My younger son, no developmental concerns except he thinks he is 15! :)

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

VACCINES CAN FUCK UP YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM AND LEAVE YOU OPEN TO AUTO-IMMUNE DISAESES,ETC..... (Im suffering with one)

farmerdon likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

polio is still very common in some third world countries where vaccinations are not as common.

anywho, my advice on vaccines : If they're bacterial, they generally work. If they're viral ( like the flu) they may or may not work due to fast mutations. Pick and choose which vaccines you want your child to get based on the success rate as well as the danger of the disease. Discuss with your doctor the option of spacing the vaccinations out rather than adhering to the suggested schedule.

8. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Not a believer in the conspiracy crap. If the medical community says its best to get a vaccine i listen

9. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

Not a conspiracy theorist - but there are definitely health concerns, in my opinion. My own experience is that I'm allergic to half of them because my immune system's fucked up already, so I haven't gotten anything OTHER than tetanus - BUT, I've been lucky, as even though it's off-balanced I fight disease quickly too, and haven't had anything that I couldn't get over within a few days. The operative word being luck... :D

10. siri888

siri888 Members

Hmmm, this is fascinating.

11. siri888

siri888 Members

farmerdon, pensfan13 and Dude111 like this.
  12. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I recommend that you watch the PBS Frontline documentary "The Vaccine War"

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/view/

It is the overwhelming consenus of doctors and scientists that vaccines are a very safe and effective at preventing the diseases they are intended to prevent.

Mercury in a high enough dose can pose health problems, but mercury has been reduced or eliminated in most vaccines. Even when mercury was more common at higher doses in vaccines, there is no evidence that the mercury in vaccines ever caused disease.

There's more mercury in a can of tuna than in any vaccination. How many parents are scared of giving their kids tuna?

There are some rare circumstances where vaccines may be harmful

1. When someone has a severe allergic reaction to eggs or some other ingredient in a vaccine

2. When someone has an immune deficiency

3. When someone has certain kinds of rare genetic disease that make them vulnerable to seizures

On some occasions, a live attenuated virus is used in a vaccine, and if a person's immune system is compromised, they can get a mild case of the disease (this type of vaccine is sometimes used for influenza, but usually only given to teenagers).

If you have concerns about vaccination, please talk to your pediatrician about any possible risks. The risk that someone has a serious adverse reaction to a vaccine is very small, only about 1 in a million. The risks of vaccine preventable disease are much higher.

1 person likes this.
  13. newbie-one

I think that you should take study results from the natural news forensic food lab with a grain of salt.

I'm all for being critical of mainstream medicine, but I think that you should be equally critical of the nay-sayers.

A fringe band of nutcases waving their single in-house study of a vaccine does not make the vaccine unsafe.

If I were the parent, I'd ask the pediatrician questions if I were concerned, but tend to trust the pediatrician before I trusted a web site claiming to have credentials.

Most of the anti-vaccine people are nutcases who think that drinking hydrogen peroxide is a good idea, or that taking a large enough dose of vitamin C will cure any viral disease.

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I see you've met Dr. Odd.

1 person likes this.
  15. newbie-one

Higher rates of infant mortality in the US as compared to other countries may have to do with the way that statistics are reported, racial disparties, parents that use drugs like crack, and other factors not related to vaccines
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_mortality#In_the_United_States

There is every indication that vaccination dramatically lowers rates of infant mortality.

This is what the CDC has to say about infant mortality rates in the US

http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/MaternalInfantHealth/InfantMortality.htm

No, you are completely full of shit. There is extensive proof that vaccines eradicated small pox. Polio and measles might have been wiped out had it not been for the campaigns of rabid anti-vaccinationists.

Skepticism about the US pharmaceutical industry is waranted. It's been documented that they have engaged in practices like off-label marketing of drugs and other unscrupulous practices.

This doesn't mean that everything that comes out of a pharmaceutical company is bad. Your position on vaccines seems to have more to do with paranoia than facts.

16. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

i think vaccines are like any other kind of medication, there will be rare cases where it will have a bad reaction. that risk is real, its known and studied. vaccinations do improve over the years and statistically speaking, they are very safe. i was vaccinated for a bunch of stuff, and more stuff when i worked at a hospital. if i had kids, i would vaccinate the shit out of them.

17. egger

egger Member

Many people haven't known someone with polio. That's a tribute to the success of vaccines and immunizations in nearly elimating such diseases around the world.

People fall into the trap of 'free-riding' which is the perception that there isn't any need to vaccinate because there will still be sufficient herd immunity to protect everyone. People with such a perception rely on others to vaccinate instead of themselves. When too many don't vaccinate, the system breaks down.

The situation is similar to people on welfare who depend on the working people. When too many rely on welfare, the working people can't afford it and the system eventually breaks down.

Some people deny the effectiveness of herd immunity altogether. Others go even more extreme and irrational and accuse the vaccines of causing the diseases that they nearly eliminated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

free riding

"Individuals may choose to free ride for a variety of reasons, including bandwagoning or groupthinking, social norms or peer pressure, religious beliefs, the perceived effectiveness of a vaccine, mistrust of vaccines or public health officials, and believing that the risks associated with vaccines are greater than those associated with infection. Most importantly though is that individuals are more likely to free ride if vaccination rates are high enough so as to convince a person that he or she may not need to be immune since a sufficient number of others already are. This makes vaccination itself a social dilemma as individuals can avoid the risks of vaccination while still benefiting from herd immunity by choosing not to vaccinate, but if large numbers of people behave in this manner, then herd immunity in the community will be lost and no one will benefit from it."

18. egger

egger Member

19. egger

egger Member

Even in regions where sewage systems are modern and personal hygiene is good, outbreaks of diseases such as measles occur due to lack of vaccination. It's not due to poor sewage or lack of hygiene, as some groups like to contend. Regions with high international travel traffic such as LA and NY have seen measles outbreaks in recent years that were initiated by people who weren't vaccinated contracting the illness from people who traveled outside the country and then returned with the virus.

20. egger

egger Member

Some truth groups go so far as claiming that the diagnoses, vaccines, and treatments are the cause of the diseases that they have nearly eradicated. A number of moguls on the web, such as Joe Mercola (preaching from his two million dollar mansion), are spreading misinformation and using it as a sales pitch for people to buy their over-priced supplements. Mercola takes convoluted claims about infectious diseases to the extreme by implying that HIV is not the cause of AIDS and that the illness is caused by people being stressed out when they are informed of the diagnosis of HIV-AIDS. In other words, the diagnosis of the (supposedly fake) real disease (HIV-AIDS) is the cause of a supposedly real illness (that needs Mercola's suppements) that isn't the real disease (HIV-AIDS).

Believing such a claim leads people to think that they can engage freely in risky behavior and not get HIV/AIDS because you're not going to get it anyway, as long as someone doesn't stress you out by telling you that you have it. Mercola would like to sell you his over-priced supplements to help you with the stressed-out condition that those nasty doctors caused by informing you that you have (the supposedly fake) HIV-AIDS.

Such rhetoric sounds similar to the tautology of Gary Taubes who says you can eat 10,000 calories per day of animal fat and not gain weight because you're not going to eat 10,000 calories per day of animal fat anyway. Not surprisingly, Joe Mercola admires Gary Taubes and includes him on his site. Mercola is also fond of HIV-AIDS denialist Mohammed Ali Al-Bayati.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.