Unhappy campers continue to protest Yosemite Nat'l Park 1st Starbucks

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Deidre, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

2. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I don’t know. That park is so busy it’s not really a big deal to me.
    The tour busses are far worse.

3. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I understand the protesters' issue with it, but I think it's nice having it there if you want to have the convenience.
    Kind of mixed on it.

4. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Its inevitable. Yellow Stone is a nature preserve, that gets more traffic than Disney Land. Soon enough, they'll have to rope off the trees so people can still recognize what is supposed to be nature.

Deidre likes this.
  5. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Yes. That’s how I feel. Yosemite isn’t really a place people go to get out in nature.

Deidre likes this.
  6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Reminds me of the day that one of our company directors suggested that we should start selling sweets and popcorn at one of my theaters.
    He had to beat a hasty retreat, only to find that as he went to put his boots on and escape on his Harley, one of them had an unwrapped Mars bar in the toe and the other one was full of popcorn. I wonder if he ever managed to work out who put it there. :yum::yum::yum:

GLENGLEN and Deidre like this.
  7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Oh really?

[​IMG]

I used to live 40 miles from Yosemite... Nature is why people go there. Honestly.

snowtiggernd, wilsjane and Deidre like this.
  8. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I’ll see your Yosemite and raise you one north cascades national park . Even that is too developed in my opinion.

9. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

And now...for a tall, skim latte with a double shot of espresso, as well! :D

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i can't figure out what they're upset about. one complaint was non-biodegradable materials used, but then the article also said that this location had been certified as a green business or something. one complaint was that there would be litter, but there will be litter anywhere you let people go, and really anywhere you don't let people go too. one complaint was that it should be a local place. i'm all for supporting local business, but sometimes local business doesn't let you support it. for example, i buy a lot of t-shirts for work. i always bought them locally where i worked before, then i moved here and all the local businesses insist on charging 3 times as much as the big chain, and 2.5 times as much as local businesses anywhere else. so i don't go local. i don't know the details, but maybe it's the same at yosemite. one complaint was that the public didn't get to decide who would get the bid. well, they never do. typically things like this require 3 bids, which would also likely explain why starbucks beat the probably overpriced local company.

in the article, i didn't see any complaint that didn't amount to "i need something to complain about!"

Deidre likes this.
  11. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

The issue could be that there's a SB on every corner as it is, must it extend itself out into nature, as well? That could be the main issue, and I can see that. But, I also could see myself wanting a cup of coffee while exploring the area, too. Best of both worlds.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

like the article said, every major park has a concession stand. i really don't see why it matters who operates it, assuming that whoever it is follows the same protocols. it's better than getting some local hick to do it like they do here; we have a nice beach with what could be a nice concession stand, except they only open randomly when they feel like it and they yell at customers for trying to order from them. starbucks would be way better.

as an aside, i've been hearing the starbucks on every corner thing for most of my life, and i'm so confused by it. i'm 34, have lived in 7-9 different cities/towns (depending on if you consider suburbs to be different towns), and i've never seen a starbucks except on vacation.

13. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Really? Hmmm. I see them a lot. But, then I tend to go to mall areas, and the city a lot, but even in the suburbs, there seems to be one every couple of traffic lights.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, but i've lived in weird places mostly.

i bet when i was in grad school there was one somewhere nearby and i just never noticed it. that was in one of those areas where pretty much every business was represented, but as a non-coffee drinker my only interest in it would have been proving or disproving the myth that there's a starbucks everywhere..

15. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Can't imagine going without coffee. It's not a myth lol There's a lot of 'em.

16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

We sold coffee in my theaters. made from beans ground as used and served using fresh milk in a china cup.
    We also had a selection of fine wines, and real glasses to drink them from.
    Not to mention somewhere to sit and chat.
    The only stipulation was not to take then into the auditorium.
    GT061704_942long.jpg

GLENGLEN, wooleeheron and Deidre like this.
  17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

^^^....That's Almost Classy Enough For Moi......:laughing:

Cheers Glen.

18. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

The one starbucks you cant carry a gun in

19. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

If the people didn’t over populate the park by visiting, if there were no need for roads through it, walkin* trails, destroying plant life, car emissions, etc. what kind of mess will these protesters leave when they vacate it? Would they be ok if it was a little mom and pops shop? Maybe a bear will break in to get at the pastries.

These protesters need to feel important and say they do something worthwhile which in effect is worthless. Perhaps they could protest public washrooms which are pretty disgusting, not to mention the contaminants that they put into the earth, and while at it eradicate pigs and other animals because of the damage they do to the ground. These protesters could use some eradicating from the park imho.

Deidre and machinist like this.
  20. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Probably ant gun REI members

Fuck em