Twilight

Discussion in 'Romance Movies' started by Shale, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Twilight
    Movie Blurb by Shale

November 21, 2008

I was suckered into seeing this movie. Seems I am up for most any vampire tale on film and have in my DVD collection all three Blade flicks, two Underworld, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned. Oh, yes, also the 1922 Nosferatu. So, when I saw the trailers for Twilight with the pale-faced but handsome young vampire in what would be an obvious tale of seduction and conflict, I was in.

Then, the night before the movie opened, entertainment news showed the sneak previews were full of screaming, adolescent girls. Seems this was a popular series of romantic books for teen girls and was made into a movie. I didn't know that history, and was dreading having to sit in a movie with noisy screaming luv-struck girls.

I went to a 2:45 Friday matinee on Miami Beach where there were about half a dozen adults and only about a dozen girls had skipped school to show up. They were noisy but during the movie were very quiet, not like those on the news reports.

This PG-13 movie was made for the girls. It was, first and foremost a romantic drama with vampires in it. Which is OK. Dracula has always been about seduction and even we jaded old men can enjoy that.

Our story begins with Bella (Kristen Stewart) moving to Washington State to live with her dad.

Bella, pasty faced and brooding young woman

[​IMG]

She starts at her new school and gets along well enough with all her effervescent schoolmates but she is intrigued by the brooding, pale skin Edward Cullen (Robert Pattison). According to this movie it is constantly raining or foggy in Washington, so people would tend to be pale - but all the Cullens are whiter than most.

Edward, pasty faced and brooding young man
    [​IMG]

Edward at first seems put off by Bella, like she smells bad or something. But, the fact is she smells too tasty to him and he has a hard time resisting her. Eventually, Bella notices all the little giveaways, (super speed, super strength, cold skin, never around when the sun shines) and figures out Edward is a vampire. But she is not afraid of him and they become friends in his secret life.

Actually, there's a whole vampire family, which Edward takes Bella to meet. They have quit drinking human blood and rely on other animals to sustain them.

The Cullen kids at school cafeteria pretending to eat
    [​IMG]

Most of this movie is composed of close-up shots of Bella and Edward's faces as they get closer and more romantically involved. She puts off some kind of vampire attracting blood scent and he has to use all his will not to bite her. (Hmm, been there - done that). Yes, it is all about restraint and seduction, of a sub/dom relationship that is pretty much like that desperate, hormone induced adolescent tension that drew all these girls to the books and now screaming to this movie.

Seduction (Let me kiss your neck)
    [​IMG]

But, the Cullens are not the only vampires in the community and there have been a couple of people killed in "animal" attacks. The bad (or normal) vampires soon go after Bella and Edward has to protect her, giving us guys a little vampire action to watch between the seduction scenes.

There you have it. I liked the movie, might even add it to my DVD collection (when the price comes down) It likely will have a sequel or two - there was a hint of werewolves competing with vampires as in Underworld.

2. sophieclair

sophieclair Senior Member

I have to be honest I can't wait to go see this movie after reading the book.

3. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

i have neither read the any of the books nor, have i seen the film. i do know that the movie critics all hated it; i don't pay much mind to any type of critic! i heard two movie reviewers on npr (national public radio) give their reviews. i do pay far, far, mind to reviewers! both of those reviewers, were in agreement with you shale on twilight.

i am just not a fan of the contemporary version of vampires! how in the hell, could anyone, find a beast that knows nothing but hunger, and feeds off of the life force of others in anyway romantic? stoker hit the nail right on the head about vampires! it is said 'all that glidders is not gold.' that is true in the case of the vast majorty of vampires. remove the glidder from a vampire and what are you left with? go see the movie '30 days of night' to see what vampires really are behind their mask!

4. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

my husband really wants to see this, it sounds pretty good.

5. Shale

Shale ~

You read the BOOK!!:eek:

This book was only read by 15 to 20-year-old gir...

Uh, Nevermind! :eek:

Enjoy the movie.

6. sophieclair

sophieclair Senior Member

I have been hearing the book is way better then the movie. I heard they left out alot of things that the book has. Even something key that will be needed if they make the second movie. Whats wrong with liking it and just cause I am 20 doesn't mean I am instantly gonna like it. I think if you just went to see the movie and you haven't read the book good luck understanding the whole plot.

7. Shale

Shale ~

Actually, I have said this before in movie blurbs that movies are not books and books are not movies. Even tho they may be on the same subject they are different medium that do not always translate directly.

I don't read books - just waste my time watching movies. But, I would never judge a movie on how exactly it follows a book or a play. Also, I would fault a movie for not being free-standing. This one worked. It had a beginning, middle and end - very satisfying in any medium.

Fans of the book may say I missed something of the backstory because I don't know what was covered in the books. I don't care. I'm only interested in what was presented to me in the movie.

This movie satisfied my requirements by starting someplace and progressing toward an end. If there's more we can have a sequel, which should also be free standing or if what I missed in the book story is that important they can have a prequel - again, freestanding for those who did not see the other movies or not fans of the books.

That's what was interesting in Underworld Evolution, how it gave the backstory to the Vampire/Lycan war that would have probably been better covered in the first movie.

8. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

i saw this last night, it was good. had a lot of funny parts. looks like theres going to be a sequel at least, the story didnt quite end.

9. Shale

Shale ~

I just watched this on DVD again and I really like the movie.

And, the book author really liked this movie. She was working with the director throughout and was satisfied how her book was interpreted on screen. She even had a cameo in the movie.

What I particularly like is how the relationship unfolds between Bella and Edward - how it is a dangerous seduction and surrender

I thought that first-love feeling in the gut was conveyed between the two, the kind I recall having a couple of times in my life when you furtively stalk the person you desire and who knows you are stalking her and she lets you catch her.

A lot of it was the dialogue but it was also the delivery by the two actors that made the feeling palpable. She was his own personal heroin, he was afraid of losing control, he desired her blood. That is intense - I have been to that place in my youth and this movie reminded me of it.

It is a romance above all else. But, to enjoy it I suppose one must just surrender themselves to surreptitiously feel the tension between these disparate lovers.

10. fluttersteke

fluttersteke Member

I liked the movie but why all the hype? Everywhere i turn I see Twilight merchandise.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

This movie does my head in.

Edward is so obviously gay (HAWT though) and Bella so obviously bi, and yet its fodder for all teen girls with the ok of conservative parents cos it doesnt register as long as someone doesnt say it out loud???

I find myself getting sqeamish for Bella, wanted to scream out to the screen....Sweetie, come on now, a guy that pretty, that sensitive....I cant watch, I can see a box of kleenex and a tub of low fat choc chip ice cream in her future

12. Shale

Shale ~

Bella: "I Know What You Are."
    Edward: "Say It! ... Out Loud."
    Bella: "FAGGOT!"

[​IMG]

13. danielleinthesky

danielleinthesky Member

lamelamelame. i read the book, it was ok. i watched the first 35 minutes of the movie, it sucked.

14. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

im team jacob
    i like edward but did you SEE jacob in the new one (the clips for it)

OMG
    [​IMG]

this must be like the fifth time i've posted that picture :p

15. Shale

Shale ~

Is he old enuf for me to legally fantasize about him? :rolleyes:

16. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

lol afraid not :p youl have to wait till 11 of feb :p

lol

i'm not a stalker i just went onto wiki just now :p

lol

17. DandelionDeathmetal

DandelionDeathmetal Member

"I know what you are...."
    Say it...out loud.
    "Rapist..."

And he proceeds to rape her and suck her blood for nourishment.
    At least that's how I would have ended the book/movie.

18. whimbrel

whimbrel Wasteland Soldier

i love the Twilight saga :cheers2:
    i read the books and i love the storyline/plot but the author really is a horrible writer. the books are so easy to get through because she writes like shes in high school

i used to be all about team edward but hmmmm i think im crossing over to jacob :p i feel so pervish :eek: taylor lautner is only 17

19. Shale

Shale ~

:smilielol5:

20. Lolli

Lolli Visitor

i loved all 4 books & loved the 1st movei...can't wait til 11/20/09