Travel back in the day

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Iwanttobeatree, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Iwanttobeatree

Iwanttobeatree Members

If you could do it again would you take the hippy trail to Goa.

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i would ride the narrow gauge railway.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hike the Pacific crest trail from bottom to top. Mexico to Canada.

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. GeorgeCarlinFan

GeorgeCarlinFan Members

I would go to Italy... One of those things I thought would just happen. I have been to Europe five times, including a time in 2009 for almost 5 months. I don't know if over a decade old is "back in the day" but those days are behind me, unlike my wallet full of money.

But, I also want to go to a place I know very well - Amsterdam. A few years ago, after missing the travel experience, I watched some YouTube travel vlogs/tours, etc for a day.

But it has changed. My first time overseas was 2004, and phones didn't dominate, and you could easily start conversations. Lots of time for cultural exchange. I was last in a hostel a handful of years ago, and everyone was on their phone, tablet, laptop, or the computers in the meeting room. I met a girl, but that was the day before my last full day.

~Zen~ and scratcho like this.
  5. GeorgeCarlinFan

GeorgeCarlinFan Members

I would have loved to have gone to India (or the Middle East) simply for the music... I almost went to India. A traveling friend of mine told me there were still many old hippies around, which would be cool to talk with. Information you don't get in books. The best era in time, and from another country -- I love to compare everything, how things develop, trend, influence, cause/effect, etc.

Speaking of hippy places, I almost went to Nimbin when I was in Australia. Many people said it "sucked". There was a guy in the hostel who was working on getting a bus with his friend (also from the hostel), but I didn't wanna be that third wheel, especially after getting to know many others in Melbourne after staying at The Nunnery for 3 months.

~Zen~ and scratcho like this.
  6. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Well you did see the world apparently!

In all it's glorious decline.

Unfortunately there are few places left that haven't been trampled before my many others.

Best thing we can do is to enjoy and treasure what we still have left!

7. scratcho

When I was young, I wanted to go to Cooby Pedy, Austraia and live underground and dig for Opals. Closest I'll get to Australia is having an Aussie son in law.:) Also wanted to go to Elizebeth Taylors brothers commune on Kauai. Never made that either.

etherea and ~Zen~ like this.
  8. ~Zen~

Ahh Scratcho! You have a great life anyway!

And still do, gazing across the valley from your rooftop!

Australian deserts get very dry, and Liz Taylor's brother's place got quite a write up in the British Press.

Read it here:
    Photos of the commune started by Elizabeth Taylor's brother | Daily Mail Online

9. scratcho

Oh man! Thanks for the pictures Zen. Now I REALLY wish I had gone!! Some of the best years of my life were spent in the 60s--70s in Hawaii. (--again--I have stories!). :D:D:D:D

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. i have seen and done loads of stuff but still have a few I would like to do;
    Go to Japan
    Go to China
    Go to San Francisco
    Return to Cuba

~Zen~, GeorgeCarlinFan and scratcho like this.
  11. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My son is doing that now. He's about due east of Fresno now.

scratcho likes this.
  12. ~Zen~

WoW Cuba!

What was that like?

I have been interested for some time.

East to get there from Mexico.

13. It as a long time ago and it was great. The people were great, the system was marvellous. Medical, social and educational needs were so well organised. Also simple stuff like imagine walking along a road, every lorry, truck etc. would stop if you wanted a lift to next town or whatever. There was no one better than anyone else. The guy who served behind local bar was a practicing doctor. It was not a money thing, it was s serve the community thing. When we flew from Havana to the north coast and back, there were people on board who were having or had had medical treatment in the city and the transport was arranged by the state. I believe it is a fair bit different now but still worth a trip back.

~Zen~ likes this.