Thread titles must contain subject of thread

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by skip, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I'd say the star ratings are about as useless as the karma system we had before.

It is useful in certain places like in the Journals. The high rated ones are definitely better reads.

2. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

Do you have a way of making a sticky thread across all forums at the same time? Or would you have to do it in each forum, one by one?

I ask because while I think people should check here from time to time I realize that most do not, and I'm guessing this will be the cause of many complaints by those who are ignorant to the new rule.

I know it's their responsibility to keep up on these things, but I was thinking it may be less work to take the extra steps to notify than it would be to deal with all the complaints of those who are puzzled and question their deleted threads.

3. skip

"I mean, it's fine that you want to make things easier to browse and such, but enforcing it as a RULE seems against the "free-speech" values of the HF...KWIM?"

How does providing a proper description when you start a thread impinge upon people's free speech. They can say whatever they want in the thread. You're just wasting my time with b.s.

Get real, and quit whining about nothing, or I'll just start banning people too.

From now on everytime I have to waste more time replying to this thread, I'll just ban whomever wasted my time. Permanently. I'm out of patience.

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Though I am kinda scared to continue on with this, since you didn't close the thread, I am assuming that you just don't want the same questions and whining, I have a legitimate point to raise, and question to ask...

I think most people's main problem with this, is not the lazy titles like "damn" (I actually agree with you in this sense)
    but the more creative titles such as purposely misleading titles, or inside joke ones, etc. (see Young Hippies or Random Thoughts)
    I think that most people would be fine with getting rid of the lazy titles, but the creative ones are what is causing problems

or would those types of threads fall under the "no value" rule to you?

5. skip

If the title doesn't tell us what the thread is about, I don't care WHAT it's about, it will be deleted.

Gee can I be ANY clearer?

6. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I just wanted to add this for clarity.
    Please don't assume everyone on the site knows everyone else or their posting styles, the things they usually rant about ect. There are several thousand members and posters on Hip Forums. Your freinds may "know" a thread from you may be a certain way, but 99% of the other posters on the site have NO idea who you are, or what your posting style is.

It really isn't a big deal to do this. I've missed threads where I could have actually have been of help to people because a thread was titled "Oh, no." or "????" I uisually don't click on these because, too often, they are either incomprehensible, or just silly. When they are important, they may be missed by others, because most people just don't have the time to open every single thread and many people skip the stuff that seems not to be all that interesting. It benefits the OP to title appropriately. It isn't that hard, either. <shrug>

7. skip

People must also realize that more than HALF the people who read their threads are NOT even members of this site, and only found their thread thru a search engine.

So if you don't give the thread a proper title, it WON'T be found, and you will lose half your potential audience for that post, some of whom would eventually become new members (and new friends of yours) if YOU posted up something interesting that they found due to a descriptive title of what they were looking for.

8. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

Not trying to be persnickity here, just trying to understand.

Your first post talks about reducing bandwidth by folks not clicking on every silly little title (despite the fact that a good portion make use of hte hovering tool to see what the first few words of a post are). And now you're saying appropriately titled threads will draw in more attention and new members which, um, wouldn't those -increase- bandwidth, not reduce it?

Again, not trying to waste your time, just trying to get a handle on the why of this move.

9. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

There is a difference between USING bandwidth (as in bringing in new people, and people reading posts and responding to them) and wasting bandwidth (as some useless threads do.) If your thread is good to be read, interesting, provacative, informative or just really, actually humorous, it ISN'T wasting bandwidth.

1 person likes this.
  10. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

it's good logic about titling your threads, thought that was a given, we must have some really strange characters posting in here.

1 person likes this.
  11. skip

Exactly!

So if we don't see a proper title, we must assume the thread is not worth the bandwidth, and more importantly the wasted time of our members to click on it and determine it's worthless. If you can't spare the time to give a proper title, why should ANYONE spare the time to read it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.