There Was A Solar Eclipse On Monday, August 21St

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by tumbling.dice, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

[​IMG]

meanwhile there has been some serious price gouging today here in the path of totality

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

and while i'm posting pictures...i didn't have a decent camera to catch pictures of the actual eclipse but here is a picture of little crescent sun shadows

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

[​IMG]

here we go, stealing this from a friend.
    i'll stop spamming this thread with pictures now.

5 people like this.
  4. fundoo

fundoo Members

i dont quite get the shadows thing. So there are several shadows , copies of the single sun, or is it fragmented of the entire sun, or what?? Do I make any sense?
    Yes. We were driving though, so we didn't really experience the temperature change or the hush in the sound or anything. We did see all the people out looking up, and it was a little darker, I guess (?? I didn't really notice, but my partner did.).

I took some pics, but i guess the camera wouldn't focus, or it wouldn't focus through the car window, so it looks just like a blob, when in actuality, it was a crescent when we looked. Not sure if we were in the path of totality. May have been and just got out a few minutes too late. Oh well! At any rate, we were part of history in some way. And after some frustration with the solar glasses, finally got those to work. So that was cool anyway. :D It was described like a "blood moon". So yeah, pretty cool to see the sun this way...again. Pretty sure I saw more of an eclipse when I was a child once.

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

We saw the same thing, little crescent shadows on our chairs! I didn't have a camera though. :cuss:

6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My granddaughters have pics. I'll have to see if I can get them.

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Somebody at the park I was at to view or had a strainer to show all the crescent shapes that had the light shine through.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

changed by a few degrees.. it was darker than I expected. there was music at a gathering but I didnt go. I wanted to stick around the woods and hear the bird-songs.

9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I did that but my granddaughters have the pics.

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

11. egger

egger Member

12. egger

egger Member

A strainer acts like many pinhole cameras. Note the cresent shape of the light projected through the strainer.

[​IMG]

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Wish I saw that! Looks like a Solar Acid Trip

1 person likes this.
  14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Didn't get much here except it seemed to slightly cool down and there was what I describe as filtered sunlight. I took a pic but basically looks like it could be some random pixels missing. I took a few though, I suppose it made me realize how large the sun actually is.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Did you tell your boyfriend that?

16. egger

egger Member

An annular eclipse like the one in the U.S. in 1994 is expected to produce ring light/shadows from trees during peak coverage, the same ring seen in a pinhole camera. That would look even more strange than crescents. It would be unique to an annular eclipse because conditions can still be like daylight during an annular eclipse, whereas for a total eclipse the corona probably wouldn't emit enough light to make visible ring light/shadows.

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it makes you realize how bright the sun is when it blinds you through a computer screen.

1 person likes this.
  18. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

There were two really strange things about it that I noticed. First, it got dark in an abnormal way. Sunset gives you long shadows, and clouds make shadows go away, but an eclipse gives you dim light with short, distinct shadows. It looked very weird. Second, all the animals, birds, and insects in the forest got completely quiet. They knew something different was going on. They didn't understand it, and they didn't know what to do.

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

:D

1 person likes this.
  20. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

The 82nd at Ft Bragg..

2 people like this.
Tags: