Theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking has died at 76

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by hotwater, Mar 13, 2018.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

LONDON — Stephen Hawking, whose brilliant mind ranged across time and space though his body was paralyzed by disease, has died, a family spokesman said early Wednesday.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years," his children Lucy, Robert and Tim said in a statement.

The best-known theoretical physicist of his time, Hawking wrote so lucidly of the mysteries of space, time and black holes that his book, "A Brief History of Time," became an international best seller, making him one of science's biggest celebrities since Albert Einstein.

Theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking has died at 76

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The world has lost a great mind...I didn't always agree with him, but then again I'm not a theoretical physicist so what do I know. Anyway, A Brief HIstory Of Time was a great read. It simplified complex topics so the average person could have a chance of comprehending them.

stormountainman and Lynnbrown like this.
  3. hotwater

“A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes,” was a great book although sometimes described as “one of the most unread books of all-time”

stormountainman and Lynnbrown like this.
  4. hotwater

Obituary

The image of Stephen Hawking – who has died aged 76 – in his motorized wheelchair, with head contorted slightly to one side and hands crossed over to work the controls, caught the public imagination, as a true symbol of the triumph of mind over matter. As with the Delphic oracle of ancient Greece, physical impairment seemed compensated by almost supernatural gifts, which allowed his mind to roam the universe freely, upon occasion enigmatically revealing some of its secrets hidden from ordinary mortal view.

- Roger Penrose

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

That's sad. He wasn't that old, but of course he suffered from Lou Gehrig's disease, or ALS; so I'm sure that didn't help. He's in a better place now.

stormountainman likes this.
  6. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Doctors told him he would be dead within a couple years of his diagnosis. He beat those odds by about 5 decades.

Hell of a mind. RIP Stephen Hawking.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Someone please tell me how he was 'a great mind' though

He never actually did anything.

Its called Hawking Radiation for some reason ven though Bekenstein did all the work, and turns out it was wrong anyway.

Cosmic infaltion, same thing, it was a bunch of other guys that did all the math.

There have been dozens of far more important proofs over the last 30 years.

And yet somehow this guy gets compared to Einstein? I dont get it

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I liked that movie about him. "The Theory of Everything". It was pretty good. He used to be able to walk and talk! Very sad how the disease changed his life. But he always found a way to beat the odds.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  9. hotwater

It's sad towards the end he lost his ability to communicate even with his hands, eyes, and facial expressions, to express his ideas on cosmology and the universe

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. hotwater

For those of you who are familiar with the controversy surrounding Brazilian soccer star Neymar tribute to Stephen Hawking, I also found his twitter post in poor taste comparing his injured foot and temporary stay in a wheelchair to Hawking’s battle with ALS

[​IMG]

11. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I called myself looking for any thread about Hawking; but somehow I missed this...and I'm surely sorry I did. (I was informed I had posted in the wrong area with my tiny tribute.)

I find it nothing short of amazing that he beat his prognosis by over half a century...so (as far as I'm concerned) he had an enormously strong will as well as a brilliant mind. That he was able to write books and papers and postulate theories, or do relatively anything since the ALS had so affected every part of him but that outstanding mind is beyond my meager understanding.

For some reason I also think it was really cool he got married, and twice at that.

I also loved him on BBT. I feel sure they will acknowledge him and his passing in upcoming episodes.

RIP Stephen Hawking

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    stormountainman and GLENGLEN like this.
  12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I read A Briefer History of Time which was a quality read that is accessible to the laymen such as myself, and it prompted me to explore other books on science. I think he was a good ambassador for science.

tumbling.dice, hotwater and Lynnbrown like this.
  13. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Dec 2, 2014 - Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence. He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

Trouble is already here . Human thinking is emulating , mimmimmmimicking artificial intelligence .

14. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Stephen Hawking was bound to a wheel chair, but he stood tall against the Israeli occupation of the Palestinian Homelands.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

1. Intelligence is an umbrella term describing a dozen different functions
    2. Artificial intelligence does not exist
    3. What the fuck would Stephen Hawking know about it

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Artificial intelligence does exist though in games. So nerr

And that's the thing about theoretical science though, it doesn't have to be real or true, just as long as it make sense in theory, then they just run with it. Really, it's all. Bullshit. Theoretical, hypothetical physics. All just fantasy.

What they need is a practical scientist so that people don't read all these fantasy books and think they know about things that only exist in theory.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  17. deleted

deleted Visitor

been a couple days now..

is it ok to push the crippled pedofile from epstein island down the steps now?

asking for a friend..

18. hotwater

What does he know about AI?

Well during the last 10 years of his life he used a process called Assistive Contextually Aware Toolkit (ACAT) to communicate which relied on a machine learning algorithm.

While it didn’t exactly mimic AI its ability to anticipate his thoughts and ideas he saw as being potentially dangerous should it suddenly become self-aware
    and began to look out for it's own interests

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

What...???...:confused2:

Cheers Glen.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor