The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Discussion in 'Romance Movies' started by Shale, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Shale

Shale ~

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Movie Blurb by Shale

October 20, 2012

This movie has been playing since Sep 27th when I was in Washington DC. After looking at some trailers of possible movies for this weekend, this one seemed most enjoyable. Glad I picked it! The aggregate reviews on Rottentomatoes was 86% favorable and 95% of audiences (including me) liked it.

[​IMG]

It is based on a novel by Stephen Chbosky and he also wrote the screenplay and directed it. (I think it is a labor of love that he feels very protective of).

It is set in 1990s Pittsburgh and is sort of a coming of age story about Charlie (Logan Lerman) a shy, introverted high school freshman anxious about entering a new environment. He is friendless but very astute about the feelings of other ppl. He likes this one senior, Patrick (Ezra Miller) who is flamboyant, has wit & attitude (made me think of Oscar Wilde) and actually takes Charlie under wing. With Patrick is his stepsister Sam (Emma Watson) who has a rep for being loose that comes from ... well, her history.

But Charlie is empathetic and non-judgmental and soon he is allowed into this clique of misfits - and all along this shy person lets out little bits and pieces that earns him a place among the misfits.

Misfits on a Couch
    [​IMG]

I don't want to tell you as much as some other reviews I have read, because this is one of those stories you really have to watch unfold. There are false starts, false finishes, eclectic chaos that comes with being a teenager. But ultimately the story is about friendships and loyalties among young ppl.

Three Friends in truck
    [​IMG]

There are also those little bits & pieces of Charlie that reveal he is much more complicated than just a shy, intelligent, articulate lit nerd. (Don't know if this is autobiographical, but Charlie shows all the makings of a novelist/screenwriter/director).

BTW, Paul Rudd plays Mr. Anderson, Charlie's English teacher in about the most serious adult role I've seen him.

Attached Files:

2. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

Great review Shale it makes me wanna check it out :)

3. johnnyblack1

johnnyblack1 Banned

I did not watch this movie yet. But i will surely watch this movie.

4. A.Sage

A.Sage Member

Been curious about this one, thanks for reminding me :) Read the book years ago, liked it well enough. Have you read the book and if so how do you feel it compares?

5. LoveBuzz

LoveBuzz Member

I don't think I had heard of this movie. It sounds like it would be pretty good though something I would like to watch for sure. Thanks Shale

6. SweetnSassy

SweetnSassy Members

Great movie

7. Milf_hunt07

Milf_hunt07 Members

Logan lerman portrayed Charlie with absolute perfection.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Indeed. I absolutely love his character. He is just so nice. Have you read the book? It is very good.

9. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Am I the only person in the world that doesn't like Emma Watson?

10. Milf_hunt07

Milf_hunt07 Members

Yes, i have read the book and it is so good. I won't get into movies vs book but i think perks of being wallflower is one of the better adaptations.

11. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I agree, Perks is definitely one of the better adaptations.

1 person likes this.
  12. shoeless joe

shoeless joe Member

This was a really great movie. I think that anyone who has gone through high school can relate to the characters in this movie in some way.