The gay wedding cake.

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Bilby, Dec 16, 2017.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

No, the civilized portion of the world isn't having any problems.
    The problem is everyone is born at ground zero, a clean slate, and then they learn either bigotry and ignorance or compassion and inclusiveness from their parents and friends.

The bigoted ones cause the push back...nothing we can do about that except try and educate them or, if that fails, enact laws that prohibit their bigoted behavior.

Right now we have a White House that's being run by a man who is a bigoted, spoiled child in an old man's body.
    He's encouraging the push back.
    He's the one doing it wrong.

scratcho likes this.
  2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

So without government, you think white people would still be visiting establishments that barred people of other colors, rather than being grossed out by such places?

3. MeAgain

Without government there would be total chaos and not many of us would survive.
    Those that did, if there were no governments, would revert to the strong verses the weak. Which is a form of governance.

Some form of government has existed for at least 5,000 years, and that's with the formation of city states, there were tribes and strong arm leaders well before that.
    The human race will always have hierarchies, one purpose of government is to attempt to bring some sort of justice to the stratification brought on by the many different forms of those hierarchies.

This refusal to serve gays is just another hierarchy wherein one group thinks they are better than another for no justifiable reason. Let me be clear, there are some groups that I would rate higher than others on different hierarchies. But excluding someone from buying a cake just because they're gay isn't very logical, or just.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I'm pretty sure they would. As a kid, I lived in a northern state where there was no institutional segregation, but informal social segregation was the norm. My parents told me that no African-Americans were allowed in nice restaurants as late as the sixties. Any who showed up wouldn't be seated, or maybe would be tucked away in a corner behind a post. Real estate agents wouldn't show houses in certain neighborhoods to African-Americans. etc. This even happens around here today, but most places are cautious because it's against the law. Mu sister-in-law is Korean and was really excited by a shop she spotted in the mall. But she couldn't get anybody to wait on her. Too bad for them. She's rich and was ready to spend some big money. There are still plenty of racists around, even on these forums, and given some encouragement would quickly be back to the old ways. What makes you think it would be any different? Without Brown v. Board of Education and subsequent court decisions, and without the Civil Rights Acts in the sixties, things would be pretty much the way they were before then. Until government made the changes, white racists had the upper hand and most whites went along.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Lynnbrown, scratcho and Meliai like this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This is where my opinion differs from yours

The owner of the bakery has said the couple could buy a cake that's already been made from their bakery with no problem

They just dont want to be forced to make a cake specifically for something that goes against their religion.

I can see their point. Not that I agree with it but I get it. But otherwise I agree with you regarding civil rights as a whole. I dont really think blacks would have gained equal rights through the free market alone. I guess I dont have that much faith in human nature

I think it will be interesting to see how this goes. Will the Supreme Court see this more as a civil rights issue or a freedom of religion issue?

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

No. Because, civil rights.

What our esteemed colleagues on the political left seem to overlook is that anti-discrimination legislation and the Civil Rights Act as a whole wasn't an action: it was a reaction. It was a reaction to what was happening in our streets. American citizens--black and white alike--were protesting injustices and this forced the government to do something. In this instance, government policy didn't change the people; We the People changed government policy.

And that is how it should be.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  8. MeAgain

Good point.

I've posted this before, but I worked in the school district Bush II visited to show off his "No child left behind" fiasco. One of my sons was in the audience as a student.
    Now, this was a large prosperous school district with two large high schools about a mile apart. Bush visited the "good" high school. The one where the students did better than the other. One of the differences was in how the district feeder lines were drawn. Those students nearer the city, in the poorer areas whose parents had to rent because they couldn't afford to buy a house went to the "bad" high school. Guess which high school had a larger proportion of poorer blacks?

This is above the Mason Dixon Line, btw.

A few years back a proposal was made to unite the two high schools into one mega campus. It was a beautiful design, much like a college campus and very simple to do as the two schools were so close. At the "bad" high school a junior high sitting a short distance away would be converted to a 9th and 10th grade unit, and the old high school would serve grades 11 and 12.
    They would be connected by a shared gym area.
    The other "good" high school would be converted into a junior high.

They bought an adjacent corn field for under a million and started drilling holes for perc tests.

Then the parents woke up. Seems a certain segment didn't want their kids going to the same school as "those kids, wink wink".
    So what happened?
    The idea was scrapped after the land purchase, after the blueprints had been made and contractors found, and they bought an entirely new piece of land 10 miles away and built an entirely new building for the "good kids".
    The "bad" kids got stuck with the 50 year old high school.
    And they redrew the feeder lines to remove even more of that certain group from the new school.

I asked a black colleague of mine why the black community wasn't in an uproar over this and she just shrugged her shoulders.

9. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What is a gay wedding cake? I don't know anything about this case, but my heart would not be into making two nude people together, either....either straight or gay.....and that is from an artist's point of view....but then I don't put myself in any position to be commissioned to have to paint something that my heart is not into.....

Stan just told me he wants a painting of Sully and him for Christmas...that gives me how many days? Not many. My heart is not in it, as i am too sad about the subject....but out of love, I will try to paint something, i guess.....It is kind of a pressure......I would never deny anyone into a business of mine, if I had one.....though, unless they were creating havoc and trying to ruin my life in some way.....but that is not racist or homophobic or anything.....It is just how people treat me.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Oh, I think it was an action--by Democrat President LBJ who saw an opportunity to stake out a legacy by claiming the mantle of the recently assassinated liberal Democrat JFK. The reaction provided the backdrop. But the reaction was to an action: Bull Connor and those dogs and fire hoses and Selma. And those were a reaction by Southern white bigots to MLK. And the beat goes on. If "the people" get the credit, they should also get the blame.

As for the wedding cake, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Katzenbach v. McClung establshed that it's not okay for a person serving the public in commerce to discriminate against particular groups on the basis of race. What makes the wedding cake case different is that: (1) a claim of religion is involved, (2) gays instead of African-Americans were discriminated against; and (3) the seller claimed that he was not asked merely to sell a cake but to engage in an act of culinary artistry. I think the Court could open the floodgates if they buy this argument, because: (1) it will spawn a rash of discriminatory religions. (What if hotels, restaurants, employers, etc.decided it's against their religion to serve or hire certain kinds of people? What if McClung had claimed it was against his religion to serve African-Americans, because he thinks they;re descendants of Ham in Genesis). There was a time when "No Irish need apply" notices were commonplace in job ads, and that had a strong anti-Catholic basis. Real-life “No Irish Need Apply” examples found by readers from the US to Australia
    (2) gays so far have not been recognized as a protected class under federal legislation, but Colorado has given them protection under its Anti-Discrimination case. Masterpiece vs. Colorado Civil Rights Commission is a challenge to the state's right to do that where religious claims are concerned; (3) I think the distinction between routine wedding cake baking and cake artistry is tenuous and will open the door to abuse. It's just hard for me to understand that a person who thinks gay marriage is wrong could draw the line that finely on the basis of religious
    principles.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    MeAgain and soulcompromise like this.
  11. MeAgain

Well, this is how I view the matter.
    If the couple had asked to have a swastika and NAZI icons on the cake, I would probably support the baker.
    But not just a swastika per se, unless I knew the swastika was purposely meant to promote NAZI ideals. In other words, the swastika is an ancient symbol and if it was being used by a Buddhist, Hindu, or Jain, as part of their heritage I would see no problem with requiring the baker to make a cake with that symbol on it.

But if a known white supremacist wanted that symbol on a cake, the baker would be within his or her rights to refuse.

The difference is that the use of a swastika by white supremacists is to promote the ideals of NAZI Germany, which were not good.
    The use of a swastika by a Buddhist, Hindu, or Jain is to promote the ideals associated with well-being, which is good.

Having a gay couple request a cake that promotes being gay is not the same as requesting a cake that promotes bigotry, or negative ideals such as the ideas promoted by the NAZIs.

They claim their religion is anti gay so they shouldn't have to bake a cake that celebrates a gay marriage, but what if their religion is anti interracial marriage, or if it's a religion such as the Faith Tabernacle Congregation Church which prohibits medical treatment?
    Would a bakery have the right to not bake a cake celebrating a medical degree or a successful operation based on religious grounds?

The test for me is, is the requested cake promoting the fellowship of man, or is religion being used to deny someone the same rights that everyone else has?
    All this gay couple wants is a cake celebrating their happiness, not something that promotes discord.
    What's wrong with that? A baker should be able to use a religious idea that divides us, or a couple that is celebrating love gets a cake that illustrates their love?

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's a shame the swastika is regarded as as a hate symbol, I don't think that was ever its intention. There were basically two angles of the swastika, which most likely Hitler had seen reading old Germanic and Norse novels and plays in theatre. The sun disc.

The most recognised angle of the swastika was slight angled with the wings forward. Many will call this the spoke wheel. My grandfather told me that to them fighting the war, it symbolised forward momentum of the whemacht.

The other angle points North/South and you mostly saw this on political building and monuments. The North/South representation signified an anchor of sorts. That it would remain strong and standing.

One of the biggest hate symbols is that of the cross in which a billion people wear and pray to daily. :p

13. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Is this the cake line?

I'm only here for the cake.

14. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

So the government can now tell us which ideals we can have? You've just made up my mind for me; as much as I disagree with the bakers they shouldn't have to make anything they don't want.

15. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

He ruined a lot of things. No one can have the mustache now and I bet Adolph is not a popular boys name in Germany anymore.

Irminsul likes this.
  16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

classism is a major problem in this country. pretending it's based on racism just distracts from the real problem.

17. MeAgain

It depends on your definition of ideals.

Of course the government can institute moral behavior. The government is the people. The people decide the morals of the civilization they're embedded in.
    The problem with a pure democracy is that sometimes a majority of people have poor morals.
    That's why the founding fathers of the U.S. didn't want a democracy. Instead they formed a Representative Republic based on the rule of law.

The idea is that the majority is at least smart enough to elect representatives a bit smarter than themselves who will then institute rules of law in support of moral justice.

We have laws that tell us that it's immoral to have sex with individuals below a certain age for example.
    Ideally I may think that there's nothing wrong with having sex with an intelligent, sophisticated, consciously advanced 17 year old.
    And ideally that may be right.
    But society has deemed otherwise.
    In every case will having sex with an under age individual harm that individual? There's no evidence that in every instant harm would result. What's the difference if you have sex with someone one day before their 18th birthday, or the day after their 18th birthday? Not much. But the peoples' representatives have passed a law that prohibits underage sex. It doesn't matter what your ideals are in this matter, the people through their government, have decided for you.

There are many moral laws passed by the government without regard for every person's singular ideals.
    How could the government agree with everyone individually?

I don't get this lack of understanding about governments and what their function is.
    Why would you think that everyone can have their own morals and act on their own ideals without regard for others? That would be anarchy.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

That was my point, I can decide my ideals myself.

It hasn't happened yet. I guess you like the fact that our current government is headed by Republicans. How do you feel about them deciding our moral code for us?

Comparing apples and oranges. That's a law that prevents people from acting a certain way. The cake thing is about compelling someone to act in a certain way against their beliefs.

A little government, like a little luck, is necessary in life but only a fool trusts either of them.

19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I suppose you have a point. However, I sure won't doubt that it also took a lot of cultural influence to make prejudice and racism more and more unpopular over time.

I've known only a small handful of people who were openly racist. Others just had naive prejudices based off of media stereotypes of ethnic people from the early-mid 20th century. I disassociate with people like that. And racism, while it existed where I grew up, it was frowned upon for the most part. My grandfather went to medical school and did his residency in Kansas before he became an Army surgeon in WWII. The hospital he did his rotations at segregated white patients from everyone else in two different halls. The hospital policy was to call the white patients by Mr. Ms. or Mrs. but call all the coloreds by their first names. He didn't like that, so he called all the patients by Mr. Ms. or Mrs.

20. MeAgain

You can have any ideals you like, but society doesn't necessarily permit you to act on all of them.

In the main our government has done pretty well. It's the first government ever conceived to be of the people, and to enact certain limits and checks on absolute power. It's had its ups and downs. Right now I feel it's in a down cycle, but it'll bounce back if the people apply enough pressure.
    I see lots of elected officials that I can support. Just because there are those I don't support doesn't mean the entire government is corrupt.
    _________
    Do you want me to list the positive things the government has accomplished in 241 years?
    If you can't see any, I'll gladly take the time to research them and provide a list to you.
    _________
    I'm not comparing apples to oranges, in my view.
    A law aimed at preventing people from denying a child the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness sans sexual activity that he or she isn't mature enough to understand or consent to is no different than one aimed at allowing a gay couple to their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of their happiness sans being treated like they're sinning against a god they may or may not believe in.

What's the difference between someone who believes it's morally right to have underage sex and someone who believes they have a right to withhold a public service because of the sex their customers choose to engage in?
    They both hold a belief based on their ideals and morals.
    _________
    No one said you should trust any government, that's why we have separation of powers, both lifetime and self terminating governmental positions, written laws, and special powers such as impeachment which don't rely on set laws but are purely political. Here's a few:
    The only ones I see trusting any portion of the government are the Trump supporters who trust anything that comes out of the executive branch no matter what it is.