The Christian Hippie

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by FlowerMama, Apr 2, 2012.

1. rak

rak Senior Member

As a German work colleague who converted to Buddhism saw I accepted her faith she immidietly became interested in Christianity as I told her about the whole Christian youth culture that had formed and that she did not know of.

2. AcidConspiracy

AcidConspiracy Member

Im a hippie and a Christian there is no conflict there i never been kicked outta church for hippyness

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Guest

I know this is an old thread but I so agree with this.

I definitely consider myself to be a Christian Hippie.. .not like a 60s hippie but a bit more modern I guess. I live a simple life and am into simple living.. drive a van (an older Honda Odyssey... not a VW van) ... just want to tell people about Jesus with my actions, you know?

4. Desos

Desos Senior Member

Yes that is true. I'm pretty sure that the church fell around that time. The beginning of the harlot riding the beast that is talked about in revelations.

fallen Christianity = the harlot

I believe that in order for the church to be restored there has to be apostolic authority on the earth to raise it back up.

to clarify my earlier posts I don't think that running around by yourself loving people will really accomplish much. It has to be in connection with apostolic authority in the body of messiah.

which can be confusing because there are so many churches out there, but Christ and the early apostles said there should only be one church with no divisions. so obviously one of them is right and the rest fall into the category of the harlot that is talked about in revelations.

personally i'm casting my lot with the twelve tribes messianic communities.

the heart of the hippie message was very similar to what Christ preached. But there was no apostolic authority so it failed.

apostles are people that are capable of raising up a church from the ground up. that is why Paul was an apostle to the gentiles because he raised up churches outside of the Jewish nation from nothing, and why he talked about the churches being the "seal of his apostleship." the same goes for the 12 apostles that raised up the churches within the traditional Jewish nation. And yes there are more than twelve apostles because after Paul became an apostle that would have made 13. There are as many as Christ grants it to.

by 300 AD there were so many divisions in the christian faith that Constantine got frustrated with them and told them to duke it out at the council of Nicaea. where are we now? so many divisions in the christian faith, once again.

evil has to run its course, and I guess that part of that is through corruption in the church. in the end times there is going to be the pure bride(the true church), and the harlot(the fallen church) spoken of in revelations.

5. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Dude, if everyone did that the world would be transformed in the twinkle of an eye.

The true church comprises 7 billion people. Jesus worked so hard to break down barriers and we've been erecting them ever since.

6. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

They amount to barriers against the perception of love.

7. Barefoot_Mia

Barefoot_Mia Members

Well I'm a Christian, and I identify myself as a "Christian Hippie"
    Remember not to let society tell you who you are.
    Also, hippies don't all believe the same things and live the same lives.
    I pray, read my Bible, I believe in God and that Jesus is his Son.
    I follow my personal convictions.
    I don't value all traditional hippie values.
    I don't believe in free love as having sex with anyone and everyone. I believe in loving all people, the same way that God loves all people. We all sin, we all belong in Hell. If God loves each of us, and he really has no reason to, then who am I to not love everyone as well?
    I believe in being peaceful and kind.
    I believe that we are one with the universe, as we are both creations of God.
    I don't smoke pot for personal reasons, however, it is a plant and God did give us use of all herbs. (And alcohol is ok with most Christians, yet it is more dangerous than pot). I believe it is a personal conviction.
    And that's just a few examples, I could go on and on lol.

Hippie is a state of mind, Christianity is a religion. It is entirely possible to be a Christian and a hippie :)

1 person likes this.
  8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Hippy I've been called. But this kind of notion is exactly why I'm not a Christian.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If people feel like such an identification suits them all the power to them. I don't want to be called either (because even if I can identify with both, partially that is, I am neither) but I don't take offense if people call me a christian or hippie. It is usually the attitude accompanied with it that is offensive or denigrating. I recall being perceived on here as a born again christian, which of course bothered me slightly just because it wasn't right. But what really was annoying was the sudden change in attitude, how that person looked down upon me just because he thought I 'found the christian religion' again (as if every born again christian is a loser or they all 'crawl back' to religion out of an inability or something). So lame how labels can make others assume incorrect and distorted things.
    Christian hippie can mean anything. There's not a 'The christian hippie'. Jesus was not a hippie in my book either, just because he has several things in common with what a hippie is supposed to be.

If I wanted to be a christian I would not let the dubious notions or actions of another christian keep me from it.

1 person likes this.
  10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I doubt that every Christian thinks we belong in Hell. I'm not 'Christian bashing' here, or trying to tell people what to believe. But to me the idea that we are all basically bad and deserve punishment for all eternity is something of a hard swallow to say the least. The concept of God one has to have to believe this doctrine is something to which I simply can't subscribe.

Not saying all Christians are all wrong, as I am fully aware that there are many shades of Christian believers. Some seem OK to me, others seem far from any truth or spirituality.

In your case Asmo, I never had you down as a born againer. And I don't look down on people because they are Christians. Jesus is an attractive figure; I do see that, even if I myself pursue a different path.

As for the hippy label, I'm proud to be hip, and I'm unrepentant as regards the whole hippy philosophy of love and peace, consciousness expansion etc. (since we're on the Christian forum, I'd better change 'proud' to 'glad':)) But I agree that to say Jesus was a hippy is not quite right. Hippyness was a phenomenon of the late 20th c. Not sure about the term these days, as things have shifted so much over time.

To return to Christianity, and what you say about not letting the beliefs of others stand in your way - I think that's the right attitude. All we can do as human beings is follow what we perceive as spiritual truth wherever we find it.
    Anyway - if you tell people you're into Krishna, that's often enough to get you put straight into the lunatic category, so I can sympathize with what you're saying here.

11. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Well, I don't call myself a "Christian Hippie" but I always thought, except for the Hippie drug use, that Hippies embody the True Christian personality.

12. Desos

Desos Senior Member

I'd like to comment on what I said here. While certainly it would seem that during the centuries following Jesus' resurrection the church did in some ways move away from the simplicity of the truth -- it is certainly still possible that there were many Christians that lived extremely pure lives. In fact even through many of the darkest periods of history there still may have been devout Christians living out the gospel in truth and deed. it's really impossible to say. maybe we will know one day. but we can't simply judge all christians of a certain period in history because of some event like the council of Nicaea or the horrendous acts of some Christians.

I definitely do not support the twelve tribes messianic communities and I wanted to take a second to clear that up. we all have to watch out for deception and make an effort to really question if we have been deceived. obviously I must have been deceived when I wrote this last post.

it's interesting that so many hippy ideals, although obviously not sexual ones, fall so close to the message of the gospel. it is almost like there is a deep longing in our spirits for the truth that is in Jesus and somehow the hippies were able to reach for it apart from the churches that so often frustrated them.

I have heard of many hippies that have eventually found a love for Christ. It even seems like these sorts of people have a great opportunity to help liberate the Christian community from some of the issues that plague many churches.

13. Desos

Desos Senior Member

I don't need some secret history of Christianity to prove to me that psychedelics can be a religious sacrament. But I think there is also a native american church that uses mescaline in connection with Jesus. it's a shame that really there are hardly any Christians that would support the idea of using psychedelics. If only there was a way to explain it to them... Or maybe we are wrong about it who knows. But it would certainly seem a shame to let it ruin your friendship with other Christians who do not support psychedelics.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022