Spiritual Significance of the Solstice and Equinox

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by SOL - Seed Of Life, Jun 24, 2018.

1. SOL - Seed Of Life

SOL - Seed Of Life Members

The harvest and the changing seasons are certainly key points in the cycle of life, death, and resurrection in nature, but within this cycle some ancient cultures perceived a powerful deeper message.
    Throughout time people gathered to honor and celebrate the sun during the solstice and equinox with special ceremonies, rituals, and observances.

Read more about our connection with the Sun here

seed-of-life-solstice-stonehenge.jpg

ZenKarma likes this.
  2. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Each culture throughout history has had it's own ideal of what spiritual enlightenment is. Is it not possible that this sun path is just one of many potential routes to the same thing? I studied Neo-Druidism for a time & they too teach a sun path to enlightenment but there are other equally viable alternatives

Orison and ZenKarma like this.
  3. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

Great post!

The current state of the mid-Atlantic harvest indicated that Aquarius is losing its polarity in the sub-regions of the global vortex. As a result, the universal cycle of life has overtaken the cycle of death, leading to an overabundance of cosmic souls that are stuck in an aura-less vacuum in the ionosphere. Therefore, resurrection is currently paused until Mars transposes the gravitational field of the horoscopic axis of Gemini. Many ancient cultures, including the ancient Predurkiyan people and the Pendejoloids of greater Meso-America have predicted such an event in their hieroglyphics more than 1.5 million birth years ago.

The real powerful deeper message here is that now is the time to sacrifice your livestock and entrails to feed and please the equinox deities which reside within the Omega cluster in the furthest northwestern corner of the ascending midheaven. Perform your rituals with ample peace, understanding, and empathy as the seventh house rises above my penis.

ZenKarma likes this.
  4. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

An old Maori folktale as told by Dame Kiri Tekanawa

Maui had often heard his brothers talking about how there was not enough sunlight during the day. Night after night they would sit round the fire and discuss this problem. No matter how early they got up, still there weren't enough hours of sunlight for all their village duties and for hunting and fishing. So Maui thought about what he could do to solve their problem. Then he announced to his brothers that he had found a solution: 'I think I can tame the Sun.'

'Maui, don't be so ridiculous!' they replied. 'No one can tame the Sun. For a start, if you got anywhere near him you would be burnt to a cinder. There is no way of taming the Sun. He's far too big and powerful.' But Maui said, with great authority this time, 'Look, I can tame the Sun. Get all the women of the tribe to go and cut as much flax as possible - I want a really huge pile - then I will show you how to make a net that will be strong enough to capture the Sun. I will make sure that he won't go so quickly across the sky in future.'

The brothers obeyed him and when they had collected mounds of flax Maui showed them how to plait it into strong ropes. He made long ropes and short ropes, and tied some of them together to make a net gigantic enough to catch and hold the Sun. After many hours of plaiting they finally had enough rope and nets to please Maui.
    Then he set off, equipped with his special axe, with his brothers and some men from the tribe and it took several days to reach the Sun's resting place in the East. After a short stop they started their preparations. They found the cave from which the Sun would be rising next morning and they quickly set to work covering the entrance with the net of plaited ropes. When they were sure they had done a really good job they camouflaged the ropes with leaves and branches. They also made themselves clay walls as a protection against the Sun's fierce heat, and smeared the clay all over their bodies. Then they hid.

Maui crouched down on one side of the cave and the rest of the men were on the other side. It wasn't long before they saw the first glimmer of light from the cave. Then they felt the scorching heat. The men were shaking with fear as the light grew more and more blinding and the heat more and more stifling. They were sure that Maui's plan would not work. Suddenly they heard a sharp shout from Maui, 'Pull! Pull the ropes as hard as you can.' The net fell like a huge noose over the Sun. Although the men were terrified that the Sun would kill them all, they pulled and strained as hard as they possibly could so that the Sun could not escape.

The Sun, who was raging at being held captive, struggled and roared. Maui knew he had to do something more than just hold the Sun in the net so he yelled to one of his brothers to take his end of the rope. He rushed out from the protection of his wall and, with his special axe raised high above his head, he ran towards the Sun. Even though the heat was singing his body and his hair, he started to attack the Sun with his axe.

The Sun roared even louder. 'What are you doing? Are you trying to kill me?' he screamed.

'No. I am not trying to kill you,' answered Maui, 'but you don't understand. You go too fast across the sky, and we are all unable to do our daily work. We need more hours of light in our days for hunting and fishing, for building and repairing our village houses.'

'Well,' said the Sun, 'you have given me such a battering that I don't think I could speed across the sky now, even if I wanted to.'
    'If we release you,' said Maui, 'will you promise to slow your journey down?'

'You have so weakened me that now I can only go slowly,' answered the Sun.

Maui made him solemnly promise to do what he had asked and then hereleased the ropes. Maui's brothers and the men of the tribe watched as the Sun, slowly and stiffly, began to lift into the sky. They all smiled at Maui - they were proud of him.

To this day, the Sun travels on his long lonely path across the sky at a very slow pace, giving us many more hours of sunlight than he used to do.

ZenKarma likes this.
  5. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

At the solstice we gather for a story .

6. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Winter Solstice marks when the sun is coming back... the light is coming back... hold on people we're gonna make it! That's why a lot of cultures and religions are so festive around this time; keep hopes up. Drag a live tree into the house as evidence that life indeed still exists!

7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Is it still possible for anyone to REALLY believe that we are the only forms of intelligent life in the universe.??????

8. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It's not impossible that we are. There's actually no proof either way.

10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

True, but their seems to be a lot of evidence that we are not alone.
    To me, the good point is that none of this seems to suggest that they have any hostile intentions. Perhaps it is the way that we behave that frightens them off.