Spiritual & Philosophical wisdom

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Deidre, May 8, 2018.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Maybe it’s to mean that darkness gets a bad rap, and a sort of joke about the sun? That’s all I’ve got lol

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  2. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

You have to keep breaking your heart, until it opens - Rumi

Hmm, not sure I agree but okay, Rumi! :p

McFuddy likes this.
  3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

'You want the obvious you get the obvious'

Todd Rundgren.

Deidre likes this.
  4. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

"The Kingdom of the Father is spread out over the earth, and people do not see it. "Gospel of Thomas #113 (Layton).

Deidre and BlackBillBlake like this.
  6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

"No one can depress you. No one can make you anxious. No one can hurt your feelings. No one can make you anything other than what you allow inside."

7. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I can't remember who said it, but I've always liked: Maybe no one has ever been truly honest about what it is to be truly honest!

Deidre likes this.
  8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Deidre likes this.
  9. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." - Yoda

tumbling.dice and Deidre like this.
  10. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

This "darkness everywhere" meme, although seemingly misleading, is actually pretty deep depending on how you look at it. You can also interpret it a number of ways. Change the words around a bit, and you'll begin to see it's much more than just a humourous meme.

One interpretation could be that one element overshadows another due to its highly intense, outward energy, even though the other element is much greater in size/volume. In other words, one charismatic entity may have a great impact/influence on the masses. This interpretation could be explored a bit further with the possibility of a percentage of the masses developing jealousy toward the charismatic entity and thus the "attention whore" remark. If you apply this to a real life situation, it starts to make more sense.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  11. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

That's a good one, we're all guilty I think of believing that how we feel, comes from others.

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It does though doesn't it? For example, if someone is punched in the face or raped, there is obviously going to be some type of emotional repercussion to that, isn't there?

13. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

So you take Monkey Boy’s quote to be dismissing actual offenses and crimes against others? I don’t think that’s what was intended with that quote.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm taking it as a quote that sounds nice in a vacuum but I don't think it really says much in regards to reality. I'm not even a SJW type and that quote actually sounds good in response to stuff like "micro aggressions" and being "triggered".

With that said, I think there is probably a line somewhere between some of the extreme attempts of language (or whatever other behavior) control of SJW's and physical violence of my aforementioned examples, where the majority of people would, in my opinion, be rightly justified in experiencing those affects in the quote.

15. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Nothing lives in a vacuum. If you dislike his quote, that’s fine. I tend to interpret quotes in a broader sense, understanding that they all don’t fit with everyone’s reality.

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't dislike the quote per se, I even mentioned where I think it could sound good. My response was more to your response of "we're all guilty believing how we feel comes from others."

17. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

We are. Not in all circumstances, that's true, but we are all guilty at some point, of allowing the views of others, to taint how we see ourselves. Social media thrives on it. At some point in your life, you have taken to heart someone's bad opinion of you (even though you didn’t deserve it) and that's not a flaw on our parts, really. It's just being human, and I like Monkey Boy's quote for pointing out that we can choose a different path.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  18. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

''Every deep thinker is more afraid of being understood, than being misunderstood.'' -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Why do you suppose this is? I'm not sure, tbh.

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Yah that "... not a flaw on our parts" is I think approximating what I'm getting at . So I suppose fittingly along those lines...

"You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide to not be reduced by them." - Maya Angelou

Deidre likes this.