SpaceX launch a success!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MeAgain, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Still, its not really that exciting.

A more cost effective rocket launch, but its not like a brand new type of engine that could get us to Mars in a week.

First Space shuttle launch was 1981, back then I thought by 2018 we would be way ahead of where we are now.

We have gone backwards really

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

first launch of the last thing in hell the rest of the universe needs; another stupid car. well at least its electric.
    actually the launch mechanism/technology while not conceptually new for the most part, the dawn of non-government space,
    something fiction about science has been looking forward to since long before sputnik.

i have mixed feelings. glad it was done. but why in the expletive expletive, an expletive car?
    (i understand a personal payload instead of a contractual one, to avoid liability if anything had gone wrong. i'm just less then thrilled by the choice of it.)

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't really follow developments in space exploration, so I am not clear on why this launch is significant or how it differs from anything that NASA has done in the past. Is it because Musk funded it privately?

6. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

The shuttle was a backward move. It was designed for nothing more than low earth orbit. It was also 2/3 larger than the original concept at the behest of the military. As a platform for deploying massive satellites, delivering groceries to space stations and spying, it was more than adequate. But it could never reach out, like to the moon.

On a more sinister note, it was really great at deploying secret military hardware. Anyone who doesn't think we have guns in the sky is deluded. The shuttle was also very reliable, even with the two deadly failures. They should have built an updated model so we could assemble deep space craft in orbit. We'd probably be on Mars by now if they had.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Privately and at a fraction of the cost

That's about all I know too

Well, aside from the fact that his ultimate goal is a bit different from NASA too- he wants to seed Mars and build a colony there

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

cool sonic boom .

egger likes this.
  9. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

That plus the reusable rocket (which I guess part of what kept the cost down).

10. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I understand that it was a test flight, so they didn't want to put a pricey pay load in it, but couldn't they have put something in it that could be used for some future mission?

11. Asmodean

Any development in space exploration is exciting. The more (and especially diverse, not just government funded) parties invest and stimulate research and actual space missions the better.
    Its just unbelievable positive from my POV that some rich investors and private enterprises give new boosts in this field. Its terribly expensive and most governments budgets aren't getting any bigger. The wallets of the filthy rich are though, so excellent if even a few of them commit and invest in this, esp. when they also have a goal and vision.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

13. Asmodean

[​IMG]

Orison likes this.
  14. MyShrooms

MyShrooms Members

Y'all ready for marshrooms???

15. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I'm sure there are countless scientists that would love the opportunity to launch their important projects into space. This pointless waste to launch a car and a dummy is irresponsible and absolutely disgusting.

Moonglow181 likes this.
  16. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I feel the same way, relaxxx, about this particular launch, but then I got mocked and insulted for begrudging people of their cell phones, baby food and whatever else and for wanting monkeys to be used instead.....

17. egger

egger Member

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I think Tesla was going to go under anyway

But will even faster now due to Hyundais Nexo and the inevitable copycats

I'd put money on hydrogen cars over electric ones, in fact, I have

19. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'd prefer horses and bicycles.

20. Asmodean