society as a yo-yo

Discussion in 'The Future' started by andallthatstocome, Mar 22, 2006.

1. andallthatstocome

andallthatstocome not a squid

this is how I see society going. we wind up mostly blowing ourselves up, and those that survive the initial catastrophe will finally realize how pointless all this violence has been all along. with the next generations, it could go different ways. if there was one group, or all the separate groups maintained contact by some miraculous means, the world will be as it should be, peaceful, understanding, happy. if there are separate groups that don't maintain contact, eventually the successive generations will begin to forget the importance of peace, not having anyone alive to tell of the catastrophe. the separate groups will eventually find each other, then the cycle of society repeats; bloodshed, rise in power, instability, bloodshed, collapse. eventually, there'll be a catastrophe in which the surviving groups maintain contact, and there'll be peace.

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't dissagree with this assessment, other then that it's 'environmental melt down' rather then 'blowing ourselves up', but the ultimate effect is generaly the same.

my mother used to call it a pendulum, which wasn't entirely accurate either. more of hilex. with a circular component of motion, but also, a, granted much smaller, linear one as well.

the most great peace will come. AFTER core values have evolved. when faced with either extinction or premitting them to, theres at least a 50-50 chance they will. even if it takes a near extinction do to mass starvation for this to happen.

what i strongly suspect is that it may not come to anything even that dramatic. but it is certainly possible that it could.

=^^=
    .../\...