Sobriety thread.

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Fairlight, Apr 24, 2013.

1. mvmcd1950

mvmcd1950 mvmcd1950

as Death said, it's easier the sooner you can do it.. as time goes by you'll think less & less about alcohol, other things fill up your life.. I had to chuckle when I heard a man saying he now loved listening to the birds, & for more than 20 yrs he didn't know they were there!

2. SheWhoListensToTheWind

SheWhoListensToTheWind Guest

Tomorrow will be day 14 without drinking, a record for me!
    I'm feeling exited about it, just have to get through tomorrow and then I can pat myself on the back.
    Then my next milestone will be one month.
    That will really be something to celebrate!
    Will just have to watch for the dialogue that goes, oh I have been so good not drinking all this time so I will have a drink to celebrate.

I got sick of feeling like shit the day after drinking, and I couldn't usually control how much I drank, so I drank a lot most of the time, which is not good for the health or the figure.
    And I didn't really enjoy drinking that much anyway, a lot of it was to self medicate or through boredom.

Looking forward to having money saved now instead of being broke by the next payday, and being able to buy some nice things instead of blowing all my money on alcohol.

The last few drinking years have been pretty much wasted years.

They say it takes 53 days to form a new habit, but I find already I'm getting out of the habit of heading down to the bottleshop if I'm anxious or bored or can think of nothing better to do.
    It got so my legs would walk me down there without any conscious thinking about should I go there or not.

Alcohol is indeed a bad drug.

It's been helpful reading other peoples experiences thought.

3. Woody72

Woody72 Members

Hi all, I just want to say a big thankyou for this post, finding it has been very helpful. I've been a 'bad' drinker since I can remember ie not very good at it. I drink every day which is fine but my problem is like yours was, SheWhoListensToTheWind, ie if I am in a situation where this a lot of free booze going like a family party or something, I have no off switch. I keep telling myself I'll cut down and just have a bottle of wine on a Friday and a Saturday but I never seem to get around to it. You guys have given me the motivation so from next Monday there will be no drinking on work nights.

Anyhow, just wanted to get this off my chest and I hope you are all well and doing fine :) .

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Chicken Nuggets free since 08