So.... any way of knowing if you have a mental disorder?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by The Caterpillar, Jul 24, 2005.

1. The Caterpillar

The Caterpillar Member

Whenever people ask about the bad mental effects of pot, the answer seems to be that it does not cause any mental disorders, but if you already have one then it may bring it out.

Well I think for the most part I am pretty straight, but how are you supposed to know if you have a mental disorder that just hasn't been brought out yet?

I mean most of us are probably A-OK right now, but what if it's something that hasn't been brought out yet, and you smoke weed and it brings it out, well then, you're pretty much... fucked.

Or is there some way of knowing whether you have something bad to bring out or not?

2. tommyboy487

tommyboy487 Member

Yes, actually there is...

If you look like, or anywhere near to the creature that seems to be your avatar then chances are you have a mental disorder. If not then get one.

3. PeachyKeen420

PeachyKeen420 Member

Check family history. Usually, drug damage is caused by things other than marijuana, but marijuana can trigger depression, mood swings and some other problems which I'm sure you already know. It's not likely that it causes any disorders although there hasn't been sufficient research to prove either way. If you get sad a day or two after you smoke then you are probably depressive and should lay off the herb. It causes anxiety attacks in some people although it is pretty rare.

Also if you have an underlying condition, it will probably show up in later life anyways but if you are only predisposed i.e. family history, then you really should be careful what you put in your body so as not to exacerbate the preexisting problem/risk.

*I'm not saying YOU in particular, but using a general "you".... Just so YOU know. :)

4. PeachyKeen420

PeachyKeen420 Member

did i spell exacerbate right? that's a really cool word....exacerbate....sorry ehehehe i'm stoned.

5. The Caterpillar

The Caterpillar Member

Well depression does seem to run in my family a bit, a few people I'm related to have it.

However, as for signs from myself so far... it all seems alright.

I smoked pretty regularly this whole past year at school, and I really didn't get down about much... I have a pretty positive outlook and feel on life.

ALso, when I take breaks, even a long one(I'm almosy at 3 months now), I still stay pretty positive throughout. I mean I havent had any in a long time, and I still feel pretty good about most things in life and make the best of situations as best as I can.

6. purple_granola

purple_granola Member

I think your just fine, and i dont think marijuana has that much influence on bringing out any disorders you might have, you either have them or you dont, you own mind decides when to let you know and marijuana doesnt have much of a say in that. From what you are saying you seem like your very healthy, and if smoking and being without never bothers you and you dont have any bad symptoms then your ok. if you are haveing issues or symptoms that are bugging you then go see someone, they can diagnose you if you do.

i personally have obsessive compulsive disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder and i find that marijuana helps with my anxiety and nausea and keeps my brain from overloading,

7. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

the issue at the heart of this is that 80% of schizophrenics did not have any knowlege of a family relative having it, except people with it have a higher risk of having children that way than people without it. that said there are more people without it.

ive been looking for but cant find an answer to this question myself, caterpillar. I think perhaps a brain study including an MRI and PET scan would be able to diagnose a fair few of teh oens you should be worried about.

however cannabis does bring out problems youd not normally have at least at that point in life. we cant be ignorant to this. the key is in finding out the link itself so that it can be overcome and prevented early.

8. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i think its mental disoorders like schizophia and things that like that,that pot brings out,ive known pot to help anxeity and depression(ive seen this in myslef and firends),normaly you would know you had a mental disorder around your 20's if you dont have a history of any mental problems or signs by the time your that age it means you dont have one

9. born_into_it

born_into_it Member

It sounds a lot like the rest of the bullshit propaganda DARE spits out, but I strongly believe in this. My former best friend had always been a little depressed, but after getting into marijuana got more so and seemed to be farther and farther from reality. Granted, he was usually always high on something, and dappled in far too many drugs for his own good. He became more dependent on people as well as substances, and seemed to lose his grip on acceptable social behaviors. Last time I saw him he had developed a habit of putting spiders and salamanders in his mouth....

...and he was 6 months sober, just emerged from rehab. So, yeah. I'm a believer in the mental disorders theory, but I think my friend's case is a pretty drastic one, and with moderation everyone should be fine.

10. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Schizophia? Do you even know what schizophrenia is? Don't give advice about something you don't understand. Everybody is affected differently by marijuana. Some use it to help depression, others become depressed when they use it.

I'll tell you one thing though, continuous use of marijuana leads to not giving a fuck. After smoking for a long time it was a whole lot easier for me (as well as everyone I have talked to about this) to dismiss all sorts of problems with "who gives a fuck." Tripping helped too, but this advance was made possible largely by marijuana. Thank you mary jane.

11. deadonceagain

first of all chill the fuck out man, i never said it was the same for everyone and it does bring out mental disorders,i know it can also cuase depresion and other things,i have depresion and anxeity disorder that was caused by drug use,and pot has helped me, i was just kind of adding to what bill said that these are the problems with pot bring out schizophrenia and not have any history of it.

12. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

I am chillin guy, my response to you ended at "don't give advice ... ." The rest is just my input.

Maybe you mean some schizophrenic symptoms, but I highly doubt you could ever find one case of a diagnosed schizophrenic who was 'normal' from a clinical standpoint before smoking pot, didn't have a family history of mental illness, and ONLY smoked pot.

13. deadonceagain

no thats not waht i meant at all actuly i said the exact oposite that it you dont show any signs or have family history you probaby wont have any problems at all, im talking about the cases that dont have a family history,but still still show signs, example my uncle is bi polar no one else in my family has any problems with bi polar disorder,or anything simlar,he was a bad alcoholic but up intell then he didnt show symptums well,but the more he drank the worse they got.

14. PeachyKeen420

PeachyKeen420 Member

Good lord that's a lot of yap over something little....no offence we are all entitled to our opinions. I say, whatever floats your boat. We all have different brains with different levels of chemicals that keep us emotionally stable. If you feel good smoke away. Just because I say it might bring on a bout of depression in some people, doesn't mean that will happen to you.

When it comes to your brain, you have to be the judge because you are the only one who knows it- although it helps to have other peoples' input sometimes. :)

Cheers!!