Saving Money

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by xscoutx, Dec 10, 2005.

1. RylyC

RylyC Member

this is the good kind of consevation. these tips are really informative, but i dont think i can give up caffine yet.

2. tha pope

tha pope Member

you know what saves me mad mad money?
    downloading all my movies and video games for free.
    torrents are AWSOME!

3. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

That's what floats your boat? Most of what you download is illegal. But since you don't seem to be a creative artist I guess that's not important. Videos and games are what are important to you at a time when many are sacrificing their lifes for noblier causes.

4. tha pope

tha pope Member

im actualy supporting the underground game creaters having modded systems.

and if more than 30 cents of me buying a 50 dollar game went to the programers and artists, i would buy it.

i went to school for film, i know the expences of a movie, i also think 8.50 is outragous....

find a better way to devide money and ill buy stuff

5. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

hey stilanas, my grocery list looks like this:
    soy milk , tofutti cream cheese, (i'm vegan), free bread from a thrift shop here (nice bagels and loaves donated from panera!), dumpstered veggies.

come on over to pensacola and i'll show you the spots!
    :)

6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I like to cook with the good traditional hard animal fat, which mysteriously dispised by the likes of the AHA and NHF but although they have absolutly no scientific references to back up such claims and receive donations from vegetable oil processors. Anyway the other day I found that my two local supermarkets had stopped stocking the dripping I used to buy and a few weeks had stopped stocking lard. What they are now selling feels more like lard but is more expensive than butter. Lard is good for making short pastry BTW. So I have stared to make my own dripping. The other day I cut the fat off a leg of lamb, cut it up, pushed it through my mincer ( a great invention even for vegetarians) simmered the fat in some water for about half an hour, strained it ( small amount of mince I then added to a casserole I was making to make some pies, let is go cold, then slightly reheated it free the fat from the saucepan washed off the fat and slowly reheated the fat in a clean pan to boil off the moisture. I then poured the fat into a stainless-steel food container and the final product is just as good as anything bought from the shop.

7. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

I eat leftovers often. Unfortunately I drive a car and not a bike. I would love to get around with just a bike but my family and friends are not within biking distance. I keep light and electricity usage as low as possible. I have to admit I love to listen to the radio, use a computer, and go out to eat sometimes as well as movies. I am going to invest in some canvas bags for when I go shopping. I don't shower every day, and I keep my laundry to a minimum. I love good cigars and booze. I wear my clothes out before I dump them. A hole or three is not the reason to dump a shirt. There are other things that I could list. I really like this thread.

8. fairygirl

fairygirl Member

We grow our own fruits and vegies. Not only is this cheaper, but we can ensure that our produce is organic. There are some days when I'll pick a peach or an orange for breakfast. For lunch, I'll eat a tomato sandwich. Dinner consist for red beans and brown rice (store bought) and a tomato and cucumber salad. (Tomatoes, cucumbers, vinegar, salt and pepper.)

My best friend taught me to go to the garden center of a store and look for peices of plants that have fallen on the floor. She dips them in a root starter and she has a new plant. She also took a cherry tomato from some that she bought and planted the seeds. She has an abundance of cherry tomato plants.

9. Uncle_Asshat

Uncle_Asshat Banned

If you want to actually save/accumulate money here's what works great:

Set up an automatic withdrawal system from your checking account so that each month a certain amount of money that you decide is comfortable for you is automatically deposited into either: a savings account, IRA, or stock market portfolio.

Make sure this account has a decent interest rate, or that you know what the hell you are doing if you buy individual stocks. Mutual Funds & Index Funds are probably the best for this, if you're not a finanical whiz, and are more risk friendly.

After just a little while, you won't miss the money anymore, and you'll be accumulating wealth without even thinking about it. This is how most millionaires are made. Through slow & steady investment over time.

The biggest finanical myth is that you need to be born rich or be really luck to get rich. That's crap.

You can get rich with almost any income if you're smart with your money, save, and take advantage of compound interest.

Check out this Compound Interest Calculator to show how powerful the effects can be: http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

for grins, I ran the calculator with a starting point of $1 and an annual contribution of $2000 (the same as an IRA max.) at 4 percent, simple compound, and I have after 15 years:
    $41,650.86
    after 30, $116,659.91

11. AncientHippie

AncientHippie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I did something similar to that since childhood.
    I retired comfortably at age 47 as a result.
    It helps to have a like minded wife.

If you have a 401K at work, contribute the max, or atleast as much as they will match to some point. Make sure to contribute to your 401k are in pre-tax dollars. This is hugely important. You are then earning interest on Uncle Sam's money until you pay the taxes years later.

Take care of the Nickels and Dimes,
    and the Dollars will take care of themselves.

12. Tamerlane

Tamerlane Member

If you have a Hare Krishna center nearby, you can go there to eat, for very very cheap. I personally haven't done it, but I know a man who has been going there for 8 years. If you can, donate a bit or go to their mantra-chanting-things every once in a while, out of respect. After all, they are feeding you good, healthy food for much less than you would spend making it yourself.

13. CasieNmynameisjake07

CasieNmynameisjake07 Member

umm basically only go out and do something once or twice a week, try to perserve on your weed if you smoke, try not to go to a lot of places or far places in your car so you can save gas, if you have a girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband, fiancae or whatever you have tery and spend time with them at your house by watching tv, playing games, cuddling with eachother, have sex, play on the computer or work on something that needs work done to it. So yeah just chill. Thats all i can think of.

14. My_Reflection

My_Reflection Member

hmm churches.. alot give out free food like i could go to just one church around here and get enough caned and boxed food and bread to last me a month.some also give out valuchers(sp?) to the local food bank but i think you can only go to the food bank once every 6 months.You dont have to be christan or go to there church to get it either you just have to call and ask.I'v neaver even really been asked if i'm christan either most just say how thay would like you to attend there services is possable.

15. 0817

0817 Member

A simple answer: do not buy anything you do not absolutely need for your survival in your whatever setting you live in. learn some skills, such as cooking, cleaning, or making bonfires, to reduce the need for the "services" offered by gay capitalist companies. oh, and a big thing: look into alternative medicine. it has everything that you may ever need for your healing, and it works with no side effects. plus, they won't be able to rip you off, because you'll get sick less...

16. Uncle_Asshatt

Uncle_Asshatt Banned

You people are talking about dumpster diving for food???

WTF?

I thought this was about saving money, not how to live like fucking hobo.

17. Bilby

If you car gets a puncture, you can save money by taking the wheel off yourself rather than getting the tyre shop to take it off and refit it.

18. liguana

liguana Member

^ lamb fat (regarding your previous post) wouldn't that be some stinky fat?

I use to and am going to do it again, salvage bacon drippings, its gotta be similar to lard. Filter thru a muslin cloth and refrigerate.
    I use to make fried bread with this stuff by mixing salvaged bacon drippings, baking powder, flour and a little salt, maybe some sugar, very pastry-like and tasty it was.

19. Bilby

I did not notice any smell in particular with rendering lamb or beef fat. When cooking with ghee ( good for panfrying fish), I rather like the smell of it.

20. earth.girl

earth.girl Member

Save your tea bag to make a second cup of tea.

Some tea bags are even '2 cup' bags... I used to Only drink Tetley tea, but have found a great store brand that satisfies the tea snob in me [​IMG]

Use a squirt bottle, warm water and a baby washcloth instead of toilet paper.. this is usually Plan B if we ever run out of TP... but if your really looking to Save..... !

If you have babies, dont use wet wipes (while your at home anyways) wash them up right in the sink. towel dry. Voila!