remember 9/11?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by polexiayay, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I had just been in NYC six weeks earlier, even walked through the WTC but did not go up to the top. I still had a bad feeling about that place from the 1993 attack, knowing the same groups were still operating in the Middle East. It didn't surprise me at all that they tried again.

I was in a bookstore that morning. Everybody there forgot what they came in for; couldn't look away from the TV. We knew that the world would never be quite the same again.

A week after, when everybody was still afraid to get on an airplane because more attacks were feared, I drove up to a ski resort in WV. It was much too early in the fall for snow, but the place was packed with people from Washington DC and Baltimore who wanted to hide out somewhere that they knew the terrorists wouldn't know or care about. We had some strange conversations in that mountaintop bar, looking down on the world.

YouFreeMe likes this.
  2. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I was in my senior year of high school in art class. A teacher runs to our classroom and mentions that a plane hit the world trade center. My seat was next to the window so i looked out and saw a lot of smoke coming out of one of the world trade center building. Everyone was in shock but nobody suspected anything at that time. Next thing you know another plane hit, at that time we knew it was terrorist. Our school was on lock down afterwards and almost everyone was sitting by the radio or looking outside in complete shock. I remember feeling a lot of mixed emotions that day. Sad, angry, confused, worried, vengeful, grateful that my family is safe, etc. My uncle worked in one of the towers but luckily he worked the midnight shift and left a few hours before the event unfold.

A few days afterwards me and my family went to the lower manhattan area though some of the area was restricted. The environment was completely different then usual. There was a strong smell in the air, people were singing "god bless america" on the streets. People were posting pictures of lost loves ones that either died or are missing. A lot of crying, a lot of strangers supporting and helping each other out. Explaining it on here doesn't do any good. Its one of those things where you just had to be there to know what i'm talking about.

3. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Here is where the World Trade Centers once stood. These photos were taken about 2 years ago. Its not a great photo because it covers a large area. I was there a few weeks ago. I still visit from time to time. It puts my life into proper prospective as it reminds me that everyday is anything can happen day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some graffiti. First one is found in lower Manhattan. The second is in the Bronx.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember when aliende shot himself in the back with a rifle (same date, ten years before the twin towers).
    i also remember when 911 first became the phone number for emergency services.
    well not exactly what day or year it was, or what city first adopeted it,
    i only mean i remember that not being the case yet when i was born,
    or even when i became a teen. somewhere around the time i became a twenty something,
    which was the year before wood-stock.

yes i remember the first home movies of airplanes flying into buildings and their coming down,
    and the dust clouds and news anchors playing those tapes and saying how horrible and all that.
    after all, 2001 i was 53. so yah, sure i remember.

and while i still believe it was actually the heat from the jet fuel weakening the structures that brought them down,
    i also couldn't help suspecting that the masterminding didn't take place in afaghanistan, but in d.c.and by
    the shrubs puppet masters. i mean fallow who had the most to gain?

it wasn't islamists, even radiclized ones. though that may be where the personel came from. sure.
    and it wasn't 'liberals' either. the left had nothing to gain by preventing world peace.
    but there were and are people who did and still do.
    people in washington d.c. and corporate executive suites.
    and those people aren't jews, people of color, nor space lizards either,
    but a lot of them just happen to be (suposedly) hetro, male, wasp's.

would the chumpster even be in the white house now if it hadn't happened?
    well maybe. the tea nazi's could probably have invented some other excuse.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that's kind of the way it was the day kennidy (j.f.) got shot. i was in highschool when THAT happened. except nobody had short memories, and we all went home quiet, somber and speculating.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I was at that transitional stage in my life where I had graduated high school but not yet begun college. I wanted to take year or two off from a life that hadn't even begun yet to "explore" the world or some such. After being tossed around by real life, I was crashing with my dad and stepmom, slinging pizzas and sandwiches at a local deli, trying to save up enough money to go backpacking in Europe or whatever it was I was idealistic and naive enough to think I needed in my life.

Anywho, I was in the bathroom, getting ready for work, when my stepmom started screaming that a plane had hit one of the buildings of the World Trade Center. I didn't think much of it. I assumed it had just been a tragic accident: That a plane had accidentally crashed into the building during take off or something. Even when the second plane hit, it didn't occur to me that we were under attack.

I didn't even go into work. They told me not to bother. No one was doing anything anyway. Everyone was crowded around a TV in disbelief. Anyway, I remember watching the whole thing unfold over the next few hours. But it got too intense for me. The images of those poor people jumping to their deaths to avoid burning alive really struck me. I remember a year later seeing all the same horrible footage being played on TV--again (because, ratings.) To this day, I avoid watching TV on that date. Seeing it once, live, was enough for me.

8. morrow

morrow Visitor

Sure do, i was working for an American company, i just happened to be on my lunch break, watching TV..

We were advised to close and go home, a security alert had gone around the world, and the company closed down for 48 hrs! Very very sad time..No one expected what happened that day!

RIP

9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I was at work, going on break, when I glanced at the TV in the break room and saw the WTC. I thought it was the preview of a movie or something and kept walking. When I walked back through the break room about 10 minutes later everyone was glued to the television and I asked what was going on. Very unreal day. I remember looking up at the sky later, either that day or the next, and not seeing any contrails. Planes were grounded for about 4 days if I remember correctly.

10. kelleyandsusan

kelleyandsusan Member

Was there, watched it, covered with dust, scared, and watched the most incredible Americans help others. An incredible day in our history!

11. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

double post

12. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

I woke up on my sofa and turned on my tv. It was on CNN. Literally the first thing my drowsy mind registered was that NYC and Washington were under attack and the president was in a plane headed to an undisclosed location. So as bad as it was, at first I thought it was much, much worse. It took a couple minutes for me to comprehend what had really happened, and it was the most horrible sinking feeling I've ever experienced.

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember the one when salvador aliende shot himself in the back with a submachine gun (supposedly. neat trick eh?)

yup, that happened on a september 11th too.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Every year this time comes around, I think to myself, wow that was -- years ago

16 years ago this year, jeesh, 16 bloody years ago

15. roccobkln

roccobkln Members

I lived eight blocks away and couldn't my daughter after her school was evacuated. The worst two hours of my life v

ZenKarma likes this.
  16. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Sorry to hear that, how is life in that area now?

17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't have an amazing story. I live in California and I remember it being early in the morning it was on TV. I might have been playing some THPS on PS1 and shut it off to find this news on the TV. When I went out that day everything was in slow motion... people were totally in shock. It was like people didn't want to go outside or go about their regular business like at all. The streets were sort of desolate... I mean there were cars and stuff, but noticeably fewer people were out. Not long after came the layoffs. I was working in retail at the time and word came around that they needed to let people go because of the attacks.

I feel like it was a real turning point in history. I remember reports on the news about stiffened drug policy. There was zero tolerance everywhere! I think it's because people were freaking out. That's pretty much when I got sober off hard drugs. I stopped partying at drug dens (friends' houses etc.) and started to gravitate towards organized events that seemed like they would still be functional. It's kind of hard to explain, but that's the gist of my story. I wasn't really paying that much attention to the ensuing war or the news on TV or on the internet. I feel like I was really self-absorbed trying to recover from two years plus of hard drug binges.

18. roccobkln

roccobkln Members

More than I can afford! Now it's the place to be

19. roccobkln

roccobkln Members

I had trouble convincing myself to go see memorial site. It is amazing

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

let me put it this way: almost three times as much of my life had been lived before that date as has been since then.
    other then how much its having happened continues doing to prevent world peace,
    it is just one more among the collection of similarly world influencing events to have happened over the course of my life time.
    mccarthy, kennidy, king, moon landing, computers, the internet.