remember 9/11?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by polexiayay, Aug 3, 2008.

1. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

I was in 8th grade when the towers were hit. I remember being in gym class early in the morning. Our gym teacher came in and said that something happened that was worse than Pearl Harbor. We were all like wtffff. The rest of the day we just watched the news in our classes.

When the one plane went down in Shanksville, we were actually really scared. We are not far from Shanksville, and I remember looking out the windows for airplanes. Half the school left early, and all after school activities were cancelled.

2. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

4th grade? i remember my teacher and i were sitting in school before classes started, i was coloring or something at my desk, and she was grading papers. we both thought that the news segment was a movie O: because it was over the top ridiculous. then the class filled in and she and i sorta stared at each other like.... holy shit.

3. BuryMeInSmoke

BuryMeInSmoke Member

I was in 2nd grade and it was hours after it happened. School was almost done for the day when the teacher mentioned it. It sounded so unreal, like out of an action movie or something I thought. When I got home, I actually saw the footage on TV. It was shocking to me to say the least.

4. PeatBog

PeatBog Member

I woke up shortly before noon, and my mother told me that "something terrible has happened in New York". I watched the TV for a few hours and wondered if it was some type of prelude to a real attack by another superpower. In the days that followed, the politicians were unusually candid about the need to curtail the bill of rights and the formation of a shadow government. Well, they didn't use the phrase "shadow government", but they mentioned the need for having a backup government in place in case the elected officials were asassinated.

5. josh989

josh989 Member

I don't remember what grade I was in. It was either 6 or 7. Anyways, I was in French class and the teacher was interrupted by a phone call. She picked it and and started crying. She told the class what happened. Being Canadian I had no idea what the world trade center was and didn't really care all too much. Got home and saw it on the news, still didn't care too much. A few years later I watched some of the amateur video of the planes crashing into the towers and understood how many people must have been inside those buildings. I tear up everytime I watch those videos now.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember both of them. i was already a teen ager when aliende was shot.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

bump for new members to share

please remember to keep the political and conspiracy posts in those other sections and stay on the original topic :)

8. vance2335

vance2335 Banned

I was at work when I heard about it. I started to hear all kinds of rumors about what was going on. So I decided to take an early lunch and go to the local Walmart to watch things on TV and buy a radio so I could hear what was going on.

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I had just turned 21.

I was off of work that day. I slept in. Til like.... 10 or 11 am maybe? I woke up and checked the answering machine and there were messages on there from four people- my husband, who was then my bf that I lived with, my mom, my grandma and my friend, Jess.... none of them said what happened but all said something like "turn on the tv! There is crazy stuff going on!" or.... "Something crazy is happening, have you turned on the news?"..... I remember just thinking "what the hell?" and then went to find out what was going on.

10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was sleeping also, or just waking up, and got a phone call from a friend, so then I turned on the TV, and was stuck there in disbelief for quite a long time....
    I worried about my brother not too far from the scene.

It took me awhile to really believe what happened that day.......

11. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was in sitting in front of the news on television for all three events.

12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i was out hitch-hiking and watched some tv in a small town South Dakota pub . I recall that the broadcaster Katie Couric looked
    up into the camera questionly , pleadingly , and she would speak one lonesome word of spirit - " Forgiveness ?"

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well of course i remember. in the year 2001 i was 53 years old. in 1973, was that the year alienda was shot? on a previous september 11th, i was 25.

when kennidy was shot i was in high school. so i remember that too, though not what day on the calander it was. also dr king, malcolm x, the kent state shooting ...

the day the berlin wall came down, the day atmospheric nuclear testing was banned, the day the first human set foot on the moon, watched that live on tv.

watched the near death of public transportation, and of people being able and allowed to do most things for themselves that people today don't realize they've lost,

not to security, but to greed, which is neither security nor freedom.

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

14 years later and I still feel sick every time I hear the whistling sound of a jet engine overhead.

15. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I had a friend call me before school and tell me what happened. I didn't understand how serious it was until we got to school, and all we did in my classes all day was sit and listen to the radio. It was the 4th or 5th day of grade 11.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember thinking at the time, this isn't pearl harbour, this is krystal knockt. still do.

17. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

I remember it well. I was doing a site survey at a customer's office in Westwood, MA when everybody ran into the conference room. The brother of one of their employees was in one of the buildings so he called and was talking to him on the conference room phone. When the first building finally collapsed he ran from the room and a lot of people started crying.

I, like so many others, was so outraged I started making plans to reenlist. I already had 8 years under my belt, catching up after being out for three years wouldn't be too difficult.

I distinctly remember sitting on our front porch considering what to do, then I peeked through the front door and saw my six month old daughter playing and realized I couldn't leave. I couldn't lose four years of her life. I was so conflicted. I developed epilepsy a year later so God only knows where I would have been when I had my first seizures. Luckily I was near a hospital when they happened because I spent a couple of days in intensive care. If I went overseas there's no telling if I would have received proper treatment in a timely manner.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I was in 11th grade, first period American history. Another teacher came in and told my teacher to turn on the tv. We watched the second plane hit the tower. Then the principle came over the intercom and said everyone needed to turn their tvs off but it was american history so my teacher was like fuck that, this is history in the making and let us watch it.

My second period chemistry teacher had Aspergers except no one knew what Aspergers was back then, we just thought he was weird. He called us by numbers and not by our names. Anywho, he didnt even mention it. I dont think he had a clue what was going on.

It was a very confusing time. I grew up in the peaceful 90s and had been fed the american dream my whole life. I had no idea why anyone would hate america so much.

19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Sophomore year of high school. I woke up and found my mom fixated on the TV with tears in her eyes. Both towers were on fire and billowing black smoke. As my mom was filling me in on what happened, the first tower collapsed. The TV channel we were watching cut from NYC to the footage at the Pentagon. Then I saw in a scrolling text reel that goes across the screen that said "United flight 93 crashes in rural Pennsylvania." My little brother woke up and walked in; he felt totally unmoved by the whole situation, I assumed he was just half awake and reality wasn't processing for him, but today he admits that he didn't really care at the time and didn't care much later on. Honestly, I'm still angry and disturbed by my brother's opinion and reaction to it.

I drove myself to school later on, listening to the radio. And that was when the 2nd tower fell. At school, it seemed very normal as everyone was still hanging out in their own social circles before class, and it seemed that less than half of them actually knew what was going on. It wasn't until class first started that reality began to process with the rest of my classmates. Probably because all the TVs in the classrooms were turned on to the news and the replays. My theater and drama teacher was from NYC, and he was especially affected the most of anyone I encountered that day.

I went home and watched the news all day for the rest of the day. And I remember tower 7 falling down, and remember thinking "why did they tear down Tower 7? This makes no sense?"

20. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I was in the sixth grade and my teacher had a tv in our classroom that he wheeled out that got like 2 channels. It was really early in the morning and everyone got excited that we might be watching a movie until my teacher gave us a really somber speech and turned on the tv. We spent the entire morning watching the news and some of the other classes that didn't have tvs came and sat in our room too. I don't think that any of us really understood the gravity of it until they mentioned new York again at one point and one girl started crying and screaming that her uncle was in new York and her dad was visiting him (or something like that my memory is a bit iffy on who she was worried about). One of the teachers brought her to the office to call her mom and lunch happened shortly after. We found out the girls dad or family member or whatever was ok shortly after and everyone's interest seemed to drop away. Eh, kids have short attention spans...