Paranormal Activity...really scary???

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by bluflame, Oct 24, 2009.

1. bluflame

bluflame Member

Okay so a few of my friends have gone to see this movie and claim that it scared the shit out of them...i thought about a little bit, and decided that since they scare so easily it must no be that scary...today a kid i work with came in today talking about how freakin scary it was, which makes me think that it must be scary cuz he's not the type of person to freak out easily.
    I was hoping you all could tell me what you thought of it, i'll probably go see it anyway i just want some more opinions...i'm sick of being disappointed with these new horror movies. Any thoughts????:cheers2:

2. Shale

Shale ~

I posted my blurb of this movie in the Horror section instead of New Movies because it has been around for years in the film festival circuit and is just now making wide release.

Here it is:

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=381556&f=291

As I said in my blurb:

"I found the movie entertaining with a few gotcha frights. Maybe I'm too old and jaded but it is not the scariest movie of all time. It seems directed at a young adult audience one that would identify with the fear of the young couple."

When I was a young person, The Exorcist was playing in theaters and was billed as the scariest movie of all times. It was. And a lot scarier than this movie. Was it my age or the subject matter that allowed for demons to possess ppl as a reality that made it so scary? IDK, but it was at the time a good scary movie.

3. bluflame

bluflame Member

Damn i had no clue it had been around that long, i figured it was new cuz its coming out in theaters around here, but then again it says in the commercials only in select theaters, or somethin along those lines. Thanks for the info.
    The Exorcist scared the shit out of me, but then again i was really really young when i watched it, in fact i'm pretty sure that was the first horror movie i saw.

4. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

REALLY scary? No. Pretty damn scary. I think anticipation played the biggest part. I was clutching my jacket through most of it and was shaking when it ended. But it's pretty tame compared to most. I think it was well done, however.

5. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

dude the movie sucked balls. i wasnt scared to say at the least. dont waste your money, im so glad i didnt

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

It's the only movie that scared my sister ever. However, she's really into the ghost bullshit, and even told me when she was talking about it online, it seemed like all the people that were scared believed in ghosts, and all the people that weren't; didn't.

I'll get around to it eventually.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

hahah, I love you.. ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

Do you have to believe in a movie to be affected by it? Nuh-uh.

9. Duck

I'm just telling you guys the trend she noticed.

I was never afraid of showers before Psycho, but was paranoid as hell in them for at least 5 years after seeing it =P

10. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

Oh. Yeah... I don't close my eyes in the shower. They're frequently red from soap exposure and it's been at least 10 years since I saw that film.

I think Paranormal Activity ripped most of it's best ideas from others movies but delivered them in a quality way. I heard someone say afterwards, "That's it?" It's been a little overhyped but I was frightfully satisfied.

11. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

I watched it last night.. It wasn't bad, but people definitely talk it up to be more scarier than it was.

12. i0-techno

i0-techno The Magnificent Dope

It seems that people who want to get scared do get scared and people who know that scary movies are just about impossible to be scary never get scared. I have given up on movies like this because they are not at all inspirational.

Although I did get slightly scared recently by this old movie called "To Kill A Mockingbird" at the end. They are returning from this play the little girl and her brother and the mood and music really changed. The way they shot thing was a bit corny compared to now but they did it well. Then in the house "Boo" was hiding behind the door and I barely was his ass but that scared me quiet a bit, I was happy and surprised at it all, because it isn't even suppose to be scary, but it was. Anybody remember that part of the movie?

13. FunHogg

FunHogg Senior Member

I found it boring and the characters slightly obnoxious. The only thing it had going for it was the anticipation/build-up that someone mentioned earlier. Didn't really build up to much, though.

Can't rip it apart...it's a great movie considering it was made for only $15,000 or something.

14. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

I liked the part where it takes place in San Diego and the name Fiona appears on a piece of paper.

15. Liz6363

Liz6363 Senior Member

I watched this last night, just downloaded it. Very happy i did and not wasted money on it at the theaters, it was okay. People said it was the scariest movie of all time, No not at all. If i want this kind of style horror movie, i would say Rec. was much much better.

16. The Instinct

The Instinct Member

I was highly disappointed in this movie. I'm also a film student. While original in it scope for "theatres", the camera movement is the type that makes me nautious. My other feelings on this movie was that it was long, drawn out, and I've seen look alikes on YouTube. So that takes away it's originality. Whomever thought this was scary I just want to shake my head to and say you got caught up in the hype. Didn't do crap for me.

If you want to see something scary, check out 4th Kind. I highly recommend it.

17. Duck

Nauseous* (not trying to be a prick, that sorta thing just annoys me =P)
    But this post made me almost sure I'm going to hate it. Bad cinematography is probably my number one pet peeve when it comes to films. I consider myself a film enthusiast/student/critic, all amateur though. But one of my dreams is to get a job that pays enough for me to go to the local film school (which is relatively cheap, but not for someone of my class) =D

18. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

Riiight. I'm alone, it's dark and my printer is making noises. Now, since I'm starting to imagine demon footsteps down the hall it's probably just because I got caught up in the hype! :eek:

And Duck, the camera was stationary the majority of the time. I'll bet that, while they wanted to make it as believable as a home-movie as possible, they probably wanted to avoid making people Blair Witch style... naueous. ;)

19. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

I was not impressed by this movie at all. The characters were not pleasant and it was not at all scary.

20. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

i must've got got up in the hype then.......watched it tonight

loaded a nice sour diesel bowl and threw some kif ontop.........turned out the lights and started the movie......tokin away............and damn! Scariest movie i've seen in a longgg time! I really liked it, thumbs up from me!