Our Galaxy is FULL of Earth-Like Planets!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by skip, Apr 25, 2007.

1. smokindude

smokindude Senior Member

God is amazing isnt he?

2. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

gods a stupid lie that helps keep idiots in check.

I still say that astroscience and all other nonessentials should have its funding cut in favour of earth sciences
    we need to refocus the planets human energy toward solving complex environmental issues -

3. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

Agreed!!!! Save space travel for when we are better prepaired to fight the Martians.

4. steve-peace

steve-peace Member

i bet that there are aliens out there, but what are the chances that they are so scientificly advanced that they are doing space travel

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

And maybe they are advanced enough for space travel, but just don't feel like it because they didn't mess their planet up.

6. steve-peace

steve-peace Member

haha that too

7. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

N is the number of civilizations in our galaxy, with which we might hope to be able to communicate;

N = R* * fp * ne * fl * fc * L

where,

R* is the average rate of star formation in our galaxy
    fp is the fraction of those stars that have planets
    ne is the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
    fl is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
    fi is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
    fc is the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
    L is the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

8. smoove

smoove Member

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin & Hobbes

lol

9. peacechicka1

peacechicka1 Member

im with depth! Get away from the BS that humans create!

Anyway, in all seriousness, this is really good news. I just really do hope that if we do find another planet with a capacity to hold human life, that we dont f-ck it up like we have definitely done this one!

I am hoping one day space travel will be as easy as us driving a car from new york to tokyo. ya know? exciting news!!!

Thanks Skip :) Good post!!

10. rayoflight110

rayoflight110 Member

20 light years is still a long, long way away

11. Chill Hippo

Chill Hippo Member

I think any life on another planet is interesting enough. Intelligent or not.